Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: AdSense trouble
Hi,

Just turned AdSense ads back on yesterday after a fortnight's (civilised) back and forth with AdSense support, and several hours of code tweaking, having being told I was "mimicking".

The real issue I suspect was that the rules have been tightened while my site stayed much the same, in particular with a banner under my main page header, which is now officially verboten.

It's a shame that I'd also wasted many hours about a month ago finally fighting off the direct image search hotlinking by Y!/Bing and G that was soaking up 4TB/month of bandwidth while sending me fewer visitors and flattening my servers.

Anyhow, I'll find out over the next week or so I suppose if I've fixed things to G's satisfaction, or else if I get another policy violation warning.

(Apparently it is now possible to make as many appeals as necessary to get a suspended account re-enabled, but I'd turned most ads off with my 'emergency switch' before things got that far.)

Rgds

Damon
May 30, 2013 08:09PM
Ian C. Purdie
Subject: Re: AdSense trouble
I've long since given up on Google and AdSense knowing what they are doing.

How many times have we heard stories of the left hand of the AdSense division advising Publishers to do certain things, that the right hand division say are violations?
Quote:
having being told I was "mimicking"
What the hell is this "mimicking" you seem to have been accused of?
May 31, 2013 12:48AM
DamonHD
It took several back and forth emails to establish what was meant, and "mimicking" IMHO is not a good term for it.

Putting ads where people might be expecting nav seemed to be a big issue, though an AdSense video on the same page as the guidelines I was referred to still appears to advocate doing so. I thought I was fairly neutral and simply following AdSense's heatmap. I have certainly never deliberately aimed to confuse visitors into false clicks.

Also, having an ad banner below the main page headings now seems to be regarded as 'mislabelling'.

Rgds

Damon
May 31, 2013 03:06PM
Ian C. Purdie
Ergo, my AdSense left hand vs right hand principle?

Jesus wept.
June 01, 2013 12:25AM
Pengi
I always felt that the AdSense advice to publishers to help make ads more visible and encourage the surfers to follow the ads (which always seemed like good advice to me) came pretty close to contravening the policy intended to avoid displaying ads which would trick surfers into clicking on the ads.

It seems that they do want to have their cake and eat it.
June 01, 2013 10:13AM
DamonHD
Well, to put a good spin on things, G probably wants publishers to be creative and innovative and successful as possible with the ads without causing false clicks. The reverse might be Soviet-style fixed take-it-or-leave-it templates.

It's just a shame that so many scammers attempt to game the system, leaving G only able to describe issues obliquely...

Rgds

Damon
June 01, 2013 10:38AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.