Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Ad types
I'm posting this for anyone who is as slow as me...

I've often wondered about the relative performance of image and text ads--my assumption was that text, on my text-oriented site, would do better, but I had no proof. And testing didn't seem to indicate any difference. So I allowed images.

But in poking around in the AdSense reporting, I see that under "Performance reports" you can look at "ad types"--and see how text and images ads are actually performing. And what I found is that image ads perform FAR worse than image ads. Fortunately they only consisted of about 10% of my recent ad impressions.

I don't know when this information became available, but it's useful!

I'm off to turn them off...
May 12, 2012 03:57AM
Ian C. Purdie
Subject: Re: Ad types
The relative performances hold no surprises for me.

When surfing around I often notice the text ads. Why not? I'm looking for words to help me out.

I can't recollect when last seeing an image ad. I'm only saying that in the context I ignore images anyway.
May 12, 2012 05:57AM
James
I'm seeing the same - image ads being only 10% of the RPM value of other ads. How do we turn them off????
May 12, 2012 08:34AM
James
OK - found it and done it. madsense has been pretty dire lately. Hope this makes a difference!
May 12, 2012 08:39AM
Pengi
I'm sure that the relative performance of text and image ads will vary wildly from niche to niche.

For a specific niche there may only be a small number of image ads available. These may yield a higher click through rate (which will, of course, depend on your site) - however the earnings per click will depend on what the advertiser concerned is bidding - if image advertisers in your niche area are bidding low then you may het a high CTR with a low earnings per click (which may still be better than a text ad) - but if you happen to have an image advetiser in your niche which is also paying a high price per click then you could do very well - until their advertising budget is exhausted of course.
May 12, 2012 10:54AM
Harold
Pengi, you can look at that too. The image ads aren't paying as much, have lower CTR, and don't pay by impressions. On my site, at least, there's no scenario in which they are worth having.
May 12, 2012 04:07PM
DamonHD
FWIW I divert many of my ad slots for first page impressions by new visitors to a pure-CPM [edit: forgot to say "all images"] ad network which pays as well as G's text ads in the same slots.

And sometimes for non-new viewers I often drop the slots in question to give a cleaner faster-loading page for someone browsing.

Rgds

Damon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2012 12:25PM by DamonHD.
May 12, 2012 05:59PM
Pengi
Quote:
The image ads aren't paying as much, have lower CTR, and don't pay by impressions

I'm sure that's the case for your site - I'm just saying that as a generalisation this would not necessarily apply to all niches. YMMV winking smiley
May 13, 2012 10:38AM
Harold
Right. I didn't mean to suggest that it would. That's just what I was seeing.
May 13, 2012 03:31PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.