Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: New Low
Yesterday became the new all time low. The equivalent of about 20 minutes earnings in the old days for a whole day now.

As always it's CTR which was 0.59%. When CTR is down, so is EPC.

When CTR is up above 1% EPC is 50+ cents.
February 20, 2012 06:37AM
DamonHD
Subject: Re: New Low
EPC is usually much much lower than yours for my main site.

I earned practically nothing overnight, so I'm hoping that there might be a bit of click-reporting constipation to be followed by a click dump today...

Rgds

Damon
February 20, 2012 08:30AM
Pengi
Low CTR to me says "rubbish ads". Could be that there is noboby good advertising in your sector, or it could be that the AdSense targetting has "drifted off".

Rubish Ads would also give you a low EPC.
February 20, 2012 08:36AM
Ian C. Purdie
I don't doubt the bit about rubbish ads. Some days I get good CTR and EPC but for the last twelve months or so it has never been consistent.
February 20, 2012 08:45AM
Ian C. Purdie
Now yesterday CTR was 1.4% and EPC $0.51

If everyday was like that [as it was 2007 - 2010] I would be very happy.
February 23, 2012 12:12AM
Ian C. Purdie
Now there is an old Australian expression. "Whine and Win".

Yesterday was accompanied by "relatively" high traffic, a CTR of 1.75% and an EPC of 41 cents.

Needless to say I would be moderately happy with that everyday. On a monthly basis, that's about half of say June, 2009.

About one hour in 2003.

I need to stop looking at the past and, prepare for the day when I close it all down.

As night follows day? I'll have to get a real life, yet once again?

Soon to turn 70?

SHUDDERING

When I turned 40 as a divorcee, thirty years ago? Nah! Would turn you off your breakfast and ruin your whole day.

[ADDED HERE]: Unless you were also a 40+ year old female divorcee.

Party time. Half broke financially with a huge business crash...

So, fast forward and roll the dice with Mr. Google's machinations.

Been a fun life. In one week, a 7:1 ratio of revenue, what a business model from the children at GooglePlex.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2012 04:18AM by Ian C. Purdie.
February 25, 2012 04:16AM
DamonHD
I think that the ad model revenue model is chaotic given the whims of all its participants, but more pointedly, as competition has gone up in the ad space* then rates have come down. At the moment I think that one ad network is overpaying me and the other has it about right, so guess which I'm showing preferentially on key page views? And guess how long I expect that arbitrage opportunity to last?

* On the way to FOSDEM I found sitting opposite me on the train a guy into the ad market / platforms / broking in a big way, and I get the picture that most of the significant ad networks (and bigger advertisers) are interconnected in real time bidding on *each* space that is available, so margins and prices for some are simply bound to (have) come down by orders of magnitude. It's that invisible hand of the market, etc, etc.

Rgds

Damon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2012 05:50PM by DamonHD.
February 25, 2012 05:50PM
DamonHD
Ian, a thought for you.

When I shake up my pages, eg formatting or new features (though not necessarily new content), I seem to get a distinct boost in traffic for months, mainly from Google I guess (but that's not completely clear to me from the stats).

Consider a re-jig of the format to freshen the pages. You may not have to do much to content itself, though a tweak or a tidy-up shouldn't hurt I suppose.

I think that we know that G likes and promotes 'fresh'.

Rgds

Damon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2012 08:20PM by DamonHD.
February 25, 2012 08:19PM
Ian C. Purdie
Worth more than just a thought.

Then again, I've heard of things like that having backfired on people. Something which always makes me cautious.
February 25, 2012 10:00PM
DamonHD
So, don't do a *stupid* revamp; take the opportunity to add a little real value, such as improved headings or better compatibility with newer browsers or whatever. You don't really need to support IE5.5 quirks fully any more... (Not that I suggest you are!)

Rgds

Damon
February 25, 2012 11:23PM
Harold
I agree with Damon. My Google earnings (which of course didn't start out as high as yours, Ian), haven't dropped anything like as much. They HAVE dropped, largely due to CTR drop, like you. But I'd say the current monthly average is maybe 2/3 of what it was before the recession, and that is after a Panda sideswipe in the autumn that reduced my traffic by 1/4.

And I think that's because I do add new content to the site from time to time, and I do tweak periodically, and try out new ad locations or formats. I am careful not to overload the pages--except for a few very long articles, I only use one adblock per page.
February 26, 2012 02:53PM
DamonHD
I'm afraid that I've taken to loading up with more ads than before, especially at low-traffic times to try to stabilise revenue a little over the week, but it does not seem to have yet done any harm in terms of visitors or revenue or time on site.

Maybe Google will stop pestering me to put more ads on my page as very occasionally I now hit the max of 3 ad blocks and 3 link blocks! (Depends on page, time of day, visitor stickiness, etc.)

Rgds

Damon
February 26, 2012 03:02PM
Ian C. Purdie
Now yesterday turned out the best since I can't remember.

Good traffic, CTR 1.51%, EPC 89 cents.

Got me completely stuffed.
February 29, 2012 08:09PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.