Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Low point in Madsense earnings
Got to a new low now - I didn't earn enough last month to qualify for a payment sad smiley In all the years I've been doing it I've always qualified for a payment, so this is most deffinitely a new low for me. Adsense has gone from paying several months mortgage in one payment to beer money (and I'm not a big drinker).

Not sure what has happened. Impressions has been a constant, CTR has dipped, but not that dramatically. EPC is what has gone down - and by loads. I guess there is not a lot I can do about that, but I will still be using it as it pays for a site I still care about.
September 02, 2011 11:29PM
Harold
Subject: Re: Low point in Madsense earnings
That's odd, James. EPC for me is roughly 3x what it used to be.

Have the ad topics changed? Have you tried tweaking? I did some tweaking a year ago after a long slow decline and roughly doubled my average earnings, to get them back in the range they were in during the "good years"-- pre-global-recession.
September 03, 2011 02:42AM
Pengi
EPC is totally dependent on what your advertisers are willing to pay for an Ad.

It may be that, for your niche, advertising budgets have been slashed and the value of clicks has collapsed as a result. However even in the recession I would find it surprising for EPC to fall as much as you indicate (unless there was, for instance, a single big player in the market which was paying a lot for ads and has now stopped advertising). Normally, it is EPC that falls off as the lower quality ads rise to the top.

Have you checked your site to see what ads are actually showing?
September 03, 2011 11:10AM
DamonHD
My revenue is low at the moment, mainly because traffic seems always to be at a minimum for me at this time of year.

ePCM seems still OK, and on one small site twice that of my main site, so though payments are not great, it's not doom for me.

Rgds

Damon
September 03, 2011 05:03PM
Joshua
Administrator
For me it's about the same as with Harold. Traffic dropped somewhat over the years as well as CTR. But EPC seems to be an ever climbing number. The summer months always had bad traffic for me and November, December have always been the best.

When comparing August this year to last year earnings are up 10%, EPC is up 40%, CTR is down 12%.
September 03, 2011 09:56PM
Ian C. Purdie
Mine's always up/down from day to day by a variation extreme of 4:1

Yet always deems to average out at the poxy same amount each month.
September 05, 2011 12:00AM
Pengi
Larger sample sizes will reduce the fluctuation (and increase revenue :-) ) You need to increase the number of clicks you get. ;-)
September 05, 2011 08:39AM
Harold
Ian, I get a lot of daily variation too. If you are ending up with the same amount every month, then you have three areas where you could get improvement, right? I know, too obvious, sorry, but increasing impressions, improving the CTR, or improving the EPC all could lead to improvements.

I know, you know all that.
September 05, 2011 07:12PM
Ian C. Purdie
Yep, I know. Easier said than done.

Before anyone bright spark suggests putting a lot of time into doing this and doing that, it is far easier for me to go back to plumbing at $125 and hour.

Even sit on my arse as supervisor/licensee-in-charge [I assume all legal responsibility] for a lazy few thousand a week. I would except, I couldn't stand the un-needed aggravation of standing over modern cretins who masquerade as tradesmen. It's bad enough screaming at three grand-sons who call themselves "builders". In a pig's eye.

On a brighter note. Amazon last month was the best for a very long time. Around twice normal.
September 07, 2011 01:34AM
Harold
Ian, I reckon I spent maybe five to ten hours "tweaking" last fall, and I think that has brought me at least an extra $200/month. Good use of my time, I think, and I didn't have to deal with any modern cretins!
September 07, 2011 03:42AM
DamonHD
I am hoping that the tuning work I have put in over the last month or so will pay off at Christmas, plus today I'll be writing an article for an online publication based largely on this work, which will pay me some cash next month.

(Plus it's been quite interesting actually trying to get the details right on redirects and latency and browser concurrency and CDNs and If-Modified-Since and If-None-Match, etc.)

You youngsters, always after instant gratification! B^>

Rgds

Damon
September 07, 2011 08:45AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.