:: Quote ::
Subject: New Lows
Time to give everything away methinks.

Yesterday:

Impressions 4,007
Clicks 38
CTR 0.95%
Net revenue AU$9.10

Time to get another life I think. What happened to the $A300 per day days?

I suppose all things come to an end and 6+ years isn't a bad run.
April 14, 2011 10:56AM
Harold
Subject: Re: New Lows
Weird. I was just about to post that yesterday was a new high for me, earning US $73 -- with only a few more clicks than you, Ian! Though my CTR was about double.
April 14, 2011 01:13PM
DamonHD
I'm somewhere between you two on daily revenue!

Rgds

Damon
April 14, 2011 07:01PM
Harold
My average is more like $25 to 30, and that's an improvement from a good bit less than that last summer--I did some work on the site that seemed to help.
April 15, 2011 02:48AM
Ian C. Purdie
My figures have been in the toilet since around the 21st.

Why?

The bloody main site has been malfunctioning since then. You can't access it through the home page:

[www.electronics-tutorials.com]

You can access it through individual pages as you might come across in say Google. Example:

BUT

No server side includes are working, hence NO AdSense being displayed.

Yes I've contacted the hosts.

Grrrrr and I thought it might be Easter. The old site is doing well and masked my figures until I decided to look at Channels, that's when I freaked out.
April 26, 2011 12:43PM
Ian C. Purdie
Here's a clue. A friend emailed this:

"I tried the link and my browser (Iceweasel, a Firefox variant) downloads the html file as a text file rather than displaying it. I get a message that it is a server parsed html file"

Somethings gone wrong with Apache.
April 26, 2011 12:54PM
DamonHD
Quite likely your host just screwed up a machine-wide config or something.

Rgds

Damon
April 26, 2011 06:32PM
Ian C. Purdie
Yea verily. It's happened once or twice before over the last 11 years, otherwise they're pretty good.
April 26, 2011 11:45PM
Ian C. Purdie
Here's the answer. From the host:
Quote:
I don't see the support tickets these came in on, strange.
But I've seen this issue on old configurations that still use .htaccess files to set SSL active in .htm and .html files, which is no longer supported due to security concerns - that should be done under Web Options of the CP. If you add to the SSI area the extensions, they should start working again.

Let me know if you have continued trouble...
The support tickets were showing "closed" this morning. So I personally emailed him. Only do that in extreme cases. Just as well I did.

I had to change "SSI exec" from disabled to enabled.

Kind folks want to check? Works for me.

Some bloody days.
April 27, 2011 03:50AM
Ian C. Purdie
Rob got back to me again awhile later and said:

"We had upgraded our Apache Software, haven't we been around this block around five years ago?"

My mind had already been down that path by that stage.

Sheez, how's a silly old bugger like me likely to remember what was only a transitory fix lasting a few seconds from five year back? I don't even remember getting up this morning.

Yes I do, I frigging stubbed my big right toe. Thanks to an impatient bloody dog who licked me awake and disturbed the cat.
April 27, 2011 09:26AM
Ian C. Purdie
So the main site is back on the road. CTR sux yet once again but I've got an overall record average EPC. Ever.

On the main site itself, CTR is 0.48% but EPC on every channel is $1.00+

Figure that one? And the OZ dollar continues through the roof. It's now at $1.09 which doesn't help. In the "good old days" is was $0.52.

Oh well. That alone is a 50% reduction in income since those days without factoring in traffic, CTR and EPC.

Bummer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2011 11:56PM by Ian C. Purdie.
April 27, 2011 11:52PM
Harold
Ian, maybe you'd better write down the details and put them in some special folder to be consulted in case of emergency.

Re the EPC, I have experienced the same. While CTR has tanked, EPC has more than tripled and is currently well over $1. Earnings at present are back to their long-term average of around $750/month, though I still hold the fantasy of some day getting a $1K month--I've been over $900 a few times....
April 28, 2011 04:03AM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
Ian, maybe you'd better write down the details and put them in some special folder to be consulted in case of emergency
Harold mate, I know that to be an eminently sensible suggestion.

The downside?

Where the hell did I put that frigging file from six years ago and two HD crashes back? Oh! on a backup DVD, which one?

Been there done that. Yes I do have a folder I've named "Critical Data" and yes it has saved my arse numerous times.

Yep, I've had catastrophic HD failures BUT I do possess the technology to bring them back to life so far after 20+ years or, at least recover 90+% of data.

Just requires the right tools, patience, perseverance, recalled knowledge of olden day DOS, time [days] and dogged determination.

In 25+ years, no frigging computer has ever beaten me yet. Nor any electronic device. Not fried ones. I'm proud of that fact and I'm not BS'ing to anyone.

Yeah mate, I can put anything down anywhere for later recall.

Like most things five+ plus years later I say "I used to know that" or "Where did I put that?"

Anybody here any different?
April 28, 2011 08:07AM
Ian C. Purdie
OK back to normal.

KRAP CTR, EPC is "Good"

Traffic? Hmmm am I victim of "Panda"?

An article all should read [from the other place]:

[www.webmasterworld.com]
April 30, 2011 10:47AM
Ian C. Purdie
May continues to be pathetic and I'm bereft of ideas.

Comparing 1st to the 9th May this year with last year for both sites I find impressions to the old site slightly down but CTR has dropped from 2.07% down to 1.4%.

The newer site has seen impressions drop by 36.8% and CTR halved from 1.6% to 0.81%.

Interestingly EPC remains constant, ignoring fractions of one cent.

Effectively revenue has dropped by around a whopping 61%. Got me totally beat.
May 10, 2011 01:43AM
Harold
Ian,

You may have to change your policy and actually start adding content. I find that my income starts to slump if too long a time passes after putting up something new or revising some old material...
May 10, 2011 02:50AM
Ian C. Purdie
Perhaps you're right. Back to the books for a refresher course.
May 10, 2011 07:21AM
DamonHD
Or at the very least jiggle things around: that's why supermarkets periodically annoy you by doing so, methinks.

Rgds

Damon
May 10, 2011 07:35AM
Pengi
Ian
CTR is affected by the quality/relevance/novelty of the Ad text to your visitors.

Ads that are relevent to your visitors interests, that they haven't seen / tried before and with Ad text that temps them will attract a good CTR. Ads that they've seen before, that are not relevant or which just don't tempt them will achieve low/zero CTR.

So what can you do:
1) investigate to see what ads your visitors are seeing - have they drifted off target? are they rubbish ads? You may want to update your filter to get rid of some of the dross. I have some suggestions that may help if your ads have drifted off target.
2) are the ads good and relevant but not new? - maybe you need to make some changes to your content to attract a different set of Ads - or find a way of attracting new visitors who may not have seen the ads before.
3) do you have changing ads of good quality and relevant but no new visitors? Think about changing you Ad colour scheme or position so that your regular visitors notice them again.
4) If non of the above works, then you may just need to accept that the niche is just no longer as attractive as it was - you can't display ads without the advertisers - you won't get clicks if no one is buying.

Hope this helps
May 10, 2011 09:02AM
Harold
Pengi, you may be right in that analysis, but I notice, more holistically, that on my site, which has been online since 1995 and has a lot of old content, if I don't update or add content for a while, earnings start to decline.

Adding and updating, and being moderately active on FB, Twitter, and relevant discussion boards, all seem to help...
May 12, 2011 04:18AM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
that on my site, which has been online since 1995 and has a lot of old content, if I don't update or add content for a while, earnings start to decline
Which I fail to understand.

Since I started out in the 1990's and back in the olden days of Yahoo where my original site was featured as "site of the week" with 100's, back then of huge quality and, authoritative links.

Since then, I've watched some "very creative kids" beat me at my own game. They can't introduce a conversational tone to lectures as I do. BUT the kids expand upon what I say.

How do I compete? Given I utterly despise "alleged" modern education methods?

NO Harold, more pages doesn't mean quality.
May 12, 2011 05:11AM
Pengi
Quote:
if I don't update or add content for a while, earnings start to decline

I would expect this to lead to:
1) stale ads - ads aren't changing repeat visitors won't click (again) This fits with mypoints 1) and 2)
May 12, 2011 08:38AM
Harold
Ian, more pages doesn't mean more quality, I agree. But there are new developments in any field. There are in mine. I cover them. Do you cover them in yours? I add very few new pages, but I do update existing ones. If I didn't do this, I wouldn't get as many visitors.

You seem to be looking for reasons not to update your site. As an exercise, just to humor me, could you take 10 minutes and see if you could come up with ideas for what you could do, if you decided that you WERE going to do some work on it? I bet you'd have some ideas.

Pengi, I don't think this is a "stale ads" issue--I see a LOT of the same ads. The new content does not actually attract new and different ads. But it does bring new visitors, who might not have seen them before.

Because I am keeping my site up to date, people keep adding links to it, and mentioning it in blogs, tweets, updates, etc. Because I am keeping my site up to date, I'm continuing to get traffic from Google--and in fact I'm getting more traffic from Google.

You can't stop pedaling and try to coast. Eventually you'll be overtaken.
May 13, 2011 03:13PM
Pengi
But I understand from Ian's other posts that his traffic continues to be healthy - this suggests that the low CTR is something to do with the Ads showing.

I know from my site (back in the day)that a low CTR generally meant that the site or more specifically page was showing rubbish ads - either because the ads had gone "off topic" (usually picking up ads relation to the site name rather than the page content) or that there was a preponderance of rubbish ads for rubbish sites.

The former case could usually be fixed by editting site text and key words, then doing a few refreshes after a while I could get a new, more specific, set of ads to kick in.

The latter case could be addressed with some work on my filter.

Sometimes it seems that there just weren't any good ads that would go on my page - time to give up and seek cheese elsewhere.
May 13, 2011 03:33PM
Harold
Pengi,

Re traffic--given the increase in traffic on the Internet, I'd say that if a site's traffic hasn't doubled over the past five years, it's actually losing "market share," though that number is going to vary by subject area. So I'm not sure that Ian's traffic is as healthy as all that, and in any case, you can get the same raw numbers but still get different behavior...

Re refreshing the site, I remember those days too, but my sense is that AdSense isn't working like that. CTR is down, substantially, all over. I don't see increased clicking due to new ads showing on my site, because they don't--all my content is in the same general area. And so is Ian's. But I do get more clicking by adding new content because it does bring new visitors, or bring back visitors who haven't been in a while.... It also does help to move things, to try different ad placements. I did some of that too. But new ads? I'm not seeing them.
May 13, 2011 06:26PM
Pengi
Harold
I'm sure that your points also account for Ian's fall in CTR.

I suspect that there is a universal trend in reduction in CTR for ads as surfers become more "savvy" / ad aware.

I hadn't appreciated that lack of traffic growth probably relates to a reducing market share. I'm sure this is true of some topics (but perhaps not all - maybe some topics actually have reducing global traffic rather than increasing)
May 14, 2011 11:32AM
Harold
Right. The "share" issue will vary by topic, but on average, if you're not growing, you're actually shrinking...

All I know is what I see on my site, of course, and what I'm saying is based on my efforts to make sense of that.
May 14, 2011 08:26PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.