Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Ad Madness / No Quality Control
I think Google Adwords is completely out of control. There seems to be no quality control whatsoever these days.

Today the preview tool showed me four almost identical sites next to each other:

greenwidgetson.com
greenawidget.com
greenanwidgets.com
greenwwidget.com

Two of the domains belong to a US fellow, the other two to someone in Korea. Needless to say, the sites are parked and utter junk...
August 01, 2007 04:27PM
nitrous
Subject: Re: Ad Madness / No Quality Control
Yes and as fast as I block them and fill the filter up the more keep appearing. Something needs to happen!

As an aside, Pengi what stops you from doing this? You maybe cant still do adwords/adsense but you could do the adwords/other thing like most of the rest until you get your other content site up and running? Personally I would rather there were no arb sites but I am interested in why you didnt just swap ads for "other" ads?
August 01, 2007 07:37PM
Pengi
I still have my AdWords account and I am still "running" a few campaigns to pages that have some affiliate material on them.

However, in late June, the site was hit by the Quality Score algorithm. Suddenly all the keywords that were previously identified as having QS "Great" and a low minimum bid, suddenly started changing to QS "Poor" with a minimum bid of 5 or 10! Since it is not economically viable to increase my bids that high, the keywords become inactive.

There are still a few active keywords - but these are in the tail and do not receive any "hits". As soon as a keyword receives a "hit", it too becomes QS "poor" minimum bid 5.

The "fix" to this is to open a new domain name and copy all the content and advertising campaigns to the new site - the new site will run with low minimum bids for a period (3 months possibly) and it only takes a few weeks for the ad campaigns to be running at full capacity.

It has not been worth my while doing this since I lost my AdSense Account and have very little in the way of affiliate links.
August 01, 2007 07:59PM
nitrous
Oh...

What wouldhappen if you were to copy the format of allthegreenwidgets.info type of site where there are no ads on the landing page but 20 links to other areas that do have ads? Just plaster them with ads (other) like say overture or yahoo as they do.

Wouldnt that work for you as it does for them?
August 01, 2007 08:18PM
Pengi
I don't believe this would work for my current site(s). It may work (for a while) for a new domain name. But is isn't quite as simple as it sounds - there is still a need for some less visible material (e.g. page title, discription and keywords).

If I had the Ads, then it may be financially viable, but a) I don't have the ads, and b) the viable life may be very short.

I've decided not to go down this path. I know my content was rather thin, but I do genuinely believe it provided some value to a proportion of my visitors. It's still in the planning/research stage, but I'm working on an authority site that I hope will have some longevity and provide an income that is less dependent on paid for traffic.
August 01, 2007 08:39PM
nitrous
Well as we all know its definitely a better long term route!

I never did any paid traffic or arb and I actually hate to see it for the damage it does to adsenses credibility quite apart from the other considerations like income on real publishers sites.

Back to Topic

I suspect that adwords "real" advertisers will coome back to and/or spend more on the content network once the word gets around that most of the adwords/adsense arb has been cleaned up. Once it has that will bring in the money to allow google to start getting rid of the adwords/other ads arb crowd.

We will see!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2007 11:13PM by nitrous.
August 01, 2007 11:07PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.