Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Getting more people to visit the rest of the site
I have one page on my site that does very well on the search engines, and gets a lot of traffic. It's a series of facts presented as a comedy item. Doesn't work on adsense unfortunately, and half the time ads don't show. I suspect that is to do with stop words, but changing the page to show ads isn't a runner for me.

Much of the traffic views and leaves. According to analytics, they do mostly stay on the page long enough to read most of it. What I'd like to do is to encourage more traffic that comes in to visit other area's of the site. Obviously I only want traffic that has a genuine interest, and is likely to be a converting click. Other than sprinkle links to relevant site content throught the piece, any suggestions?
July 16, 2007 08:05AM
nitrous
Subject: Re: Getting more people to visit the rest of the site
Section targeting?

[www.google.com]

It can take a long while to kick in but it worked on one of my pages like a charm. Zero income to a few dollars a day from a page that wouldnt display relevant ads.
July 16, 2007 09:00AM
Troi
I was never convinced of the effectiveness of section targetting.
July 16, 2007 09:07AM
nitrous
Me either. Until about 1 month after I did it. Then I think a bot visited and instant ads on the very subject I wanted them on. But I cannot guarantee that that was the cause I suppose. But why bother to have them if they dont work?
July 16, 2007 10:02AM
Harold
James, rather than sprinkling links to site content through the piece, why not make a box or a list with a header saying something like "If you liked this, you'll also like...." and then direct them to four or five other pages that you have reason to believe would interest the visitors to that problem page. I do that on this page on my site in two places, a page that I dropped AdSense from due to useless performance:

[www.underdown.org]

I just did a quick check of my logs, and interestingly, the links at the END of the article are the ones that lead to people to move elsewhere in the site (about 15% of the visitors to that page use them, even at the end of such a long article). People are not paying much attention to the box on the right. That suggests to me that if people are reading your entire page, give them some other pages to visit at the bottom....

FWIW, section targeting worked for me on my home page almost from the hour I did it. I told the bot to ignore several sections and pay attention to several others--after all, I didn't want ads for crayons!
July 16, 2007 04:40PM
James
Thanks guys.

I'm not going to bother with section targetting, as I have already tried this. But I am going with Harold's idea of a blovk on the right of the page, and I'll put some links at the bottom of the page too.
July 16, 2007 07:26PM
nitrous
Do it | Like This | With Descriptive | Links | Works Well | On my Site

Because if you have descriptive links your ads will follow suite. I had a link to a wedding site (to help its PR) on my widget page at one time and the ads were all for wedding dresses and stuff... The page had little to do with weddings. And it happens on some of my other interlinked sites too.

In fact it probably works better than the targeting code!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2007 08:57PM by nitrous.
July 16, 2007 08:52PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.