Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Blocking on basis of preview tool
I've always been against this on the grounds that we only have 200 ads to block - total. I've always preferred to block only ads I actually see. However, I can't preview my site in the US where my traffic mostly comes from. So, any of you non US residents that use the tool for this purpose? Does it actually work effectively, or are you blocking ads you would never see anyway?

[edit]Daft old git can't type cos he's been drinking already[/edit]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2007 10:42PM by James.
July 13, 2007 10:41PM
Troi
Subject: Re: Blocking on basis of preview tool
You can preview by using the following tool at www.proxify.com - enter the search engine and view the reults using a temporary proxy server. Can be quite useful for your purposes.
July 13, 2007 11:50PM
nitrous
Been there done that.

The preview tool gives the same result but slightly better.

It bases its result on the ads most likely to apear in that country. Rather than regional ads that fit the proxies IP address. For the same reason its better toi use the tool to see even your own country rather than what you actually see. Google vary the results depending on your history and your area. The tool shows you the most likely overall in a country.

I check only UK, US, Canada to begin with. Canada has less ads generally so you will see more arb/mfa there than almost anywhere else. Most arb sites cast the net wide and are not country specific and bid low so countries like peru (just below canada) will find a few more that you missed because they have low number of real advertisers. This is another reason that arb sites dont convert well...

I check every page in all 4 countries.

Hope this helps! I have studied this!

Im just back from pub too! 4 lagers and a double vodka. I am just finishing off the GFs large wine glass... And I can still type. And drive a wheelchair!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2007 01:43AM by nitrous.
July 14, 2007 01:40AM
James
OK - I've blocked the ads the tool says might show in the US. In your experience, when you block an ad, does it then dissapear from the preview tool? I know the same advertiser will usually run another very similar ad to get round the block, and you have to zap that too, but generally speaking does this at least remove the specific offender in future?

My head hurts this morning sad smiley
July 14, 2007 08:39AM
nitrous
>>>OK - I've blocked the ads the tool says might show in the US. In your experience, when you block an ad, does it then dissapear from the preview tool?

Yep! But it can and does take between 12 and 24 hours lately.

Dont forget canada and uk!

>>>I know the same advertiser will usually run another very similar ad to get round the block, and you have to zap that too, but generally speaking does this at least remove the specific offender in future?

Mostly but some keep registering new names.

>>>My head hurts this morning

Mine hurts almost every morning! Except boxing day and 2nd jan because the damned Pubs close...
July 14, 2007 03:35PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.