Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: More improvements that will get rid of the idiots
[adwords.blogspot.com]

This is going to really help me and anyone with quality original sites.

Its going to destroy sites that look and are spammy, which is most of them!

The advertisers are already pleased! They hate MFAs as much as I do.

As I keep trying to tell everyone, In the end as online advertising matures it will only quality sites that users want will be of any use.

"artical" sites, with thousands of pages (I ran xenu spider on one and got fed up waiting after it found 140,000 pages and was still finding more just as fast...) thin content, low page rank, those sites written by a four year old, those that are written by stealing a sentence here and a sentence there are all doomed to faliure in the end.

What with smart pricing and conversion feedback, landing page quality score and this latest control for advertisers they really do want to improve the lot for real webmasters! Go google!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2007 06:44PM by nitrous.
June 26, 2007 06:41PM
Harold
Subject: Re: More improvements that will get rid of the idiots
Cool. And they are promising to implement it for parked domains as well.
June 26, 2007 07:08PM
nitrous
Even better!

Added...

Copied and pasted from the adwords forum on channel 2...

Now that the blocking of MFAs has taken effect (last night) I'm able to up my content bids by 50% and be a little more confident in the quality of the traffic.

So THATS why my ecpm is up yet again by a big margin? Maybe...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2007 08:17PM by nitrous.
June 26, 2007 07:57PM
nitrous
In fact I think all of us would benefit from reading this thread.

[www.webmasterworld.com]
June 26, 2007 08:25PM
James
Just hope it's not OUR sites that are the bad performers from the advertiser's perspective.

But I think it's great to offer this to advertisers. That coupled with zapping MFA's is long overdue. Have they zapped a second round of MFA's do we know? Was it just the one batch, or has this been ongoing?
June 26, 2007 10:18PM
nitrous
My filter was emptied and refilled. All are now using adwords/other adverts but still showing.

They seem to have banned them from adsense but still allow them to buy traffic to the same sites. 90% Are the same. But the other ten got peed off and vanished. However that ten percent is now about 30 and all new...
June 26, 2007 10:31PM
nitewing
again the toys seem to be more benefit to the advertisers rather than the pubs.

So depressing, I don't advertise.
June 26, 2007 10:47PM
nitrous
>>>again the toys seem to be more benefit to the advertisers rather than the pubs.

Wrong!

There are already threads about those that have this tool (only a few so far) blocking all the crappy sites and upping the budget! That means more for you and me!

One guy was amazed to find MOST of his traffic was coming from MFA sites. He can now block all the crap! And has the confidence to up his bid price. Advertisers hate middlemen too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2007 11:25PM by nitrous.
June 26, 2007 11:23PM
Harold
At least in my area, I'm thinking that this may not bring much improvement--all the advertisers that show up on search for my keywords are also showing up on my site. They haven't opted OUT of the content network, so they won't be opting back IN....
June 26, 2007 11:23PM
nitrous
But they may up their price so as to get more content traffic. You still gain.
June 26, 2007 11:26PM
spanner
hmm I am not sure how this will affect me. As I mostly run a forum, it doesn't look good, but as the content is usually quite food, it might excape. I am still getting fluctuations of up to 70% per day with my ecpm down massivly from a high yesterday.
June 27, 2007 01:02AM
nitrous
I suspect most advertisers will not like blended ads or in your face ads either. They will want to see a balanced site where the ads are obviously so so that accidental cicks dont cost them.

I think the time has come to unblend your ads. That may result in fewer clicks but will result in advertisers wanting to compete for adspace on your page. And remember that you will be filtered as soon as they see your page and then its too late. You may change things later but they wont check you again! NOW is the time.
June 27, 2007 02:12AM
Troi
I think nitrous is spot on here. I think a change of tactic may be needed - and unblending would have (;() been my tactic.
June 27, 2007 07:59AM
Troi
Sorry - just been reading the thread elsewhere. Now Nitrous you are going to hate me for this but here goes......

Like the rest of you I hate MFA sites - I'm not disputing any previous comments regarding them. However - I have many times mentioned that as far as conversions go - MFA's probably do a great job at a far lower cost to the advertiser.

IE. Estate Agents Site. Content ad appears on a site claiming to have property for sale in France. The page has nothing of the sort. Empty or very thin site. My ad is there. I get the click. I've got what the searcher was looking for. As far as I'm concerned that was a cheap content click - and I've got targetted traffic.

Now someone mentioned on Webmasterworld that they saw - with this new tool - 48 out of 50 of his content targetted sites were MFA. But carried on to say, in essence, that that this was where his conversions were coming from. Now are the advertisers going to strip them out - or target the cheap traffic?

I've always maintained that thin sites for my content traffic are good. If you've got a good site - and have the goods/services etc - then targetting the rubbish sites isn't going to be detrimental. I'm not necessarily saying that this is what people will do. However, I am sure that conversions will probably be higher from the rubbish sites.

I still maintain that the only solution to this is for the advertising companies - adsense, yahoo, affiliate sites etc to vet sites far more. I'm convinced this is the only way to rid the net of the rubbish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2007 07:57PM by Joshua.
June 27, 2007 08:14AM
nitrous
But since mfas are only taking from the system it has to cost the advertiser more in the end. Because that cheap click you got by targeting the mfa came from me!

Think about what you just said. If everyone targets mfas for CHEAP clicks then they the mfa cant make money so cant buy their traffic from me!

Plus most advertisers hate the things so just like me will filter them like mad regardless. Middlemen can only ever make something more expensive and just are not needed on the internet. For eg before the internet all insurance was sold by insurance brokers(the middle men) but now they are realising that they can sell direct!

The internet allows this because search engines like google make them easy to find and they can advertise directly too! That broker or mfa just isnt needed any longer.

In the real world some are needed eg manufacturers cant have distributors and retail outlets just for their products so its a nessasary evil. Internet advertising needs no extra layer adding nothing but taking advertisers money. And they know that as well as I do.

Every layer decreases the profit by all or inflates prices making it less competitive.

However you analyse it they just decrease our income and increase advertising costs without adding anything at all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2007 10:52AM by nitrous.
June 27, 2007 10:38AM
nitrous
From Sailorgeyser

>>>I think the trend of lower revenue for some and higher revenue for others will accelerate as more and more adwords users review the new placement reports.
My Adwords blocked sites list went from 3 on Monday to 100 today. I also just block a few entire countries today since I couldn't find a good website in them.
I'm seeing better ROI and I was able to raise my bids so those sites that still show my ads are making more money.

EXACTLY what I keep predicting, and have been doing for 3 years and it will get even more extreme as time goes on!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2007 01:35PM by nitrous.
June 27, 2007 11:07AM
Troi
I'm not disputing that there will be many doing exactly as you mention. I'm just saying - that having just looked through the stats for my estate agent - the highest performing content ad is coming from an extremely thin site for agricultural stuff. This traffic is converting. Average visitor from this particular site visits on average 20 pages, and approx 50% of these have gone on to register with us.

That to me is good conversion. Should the site be there with adsense on it? No. However, as it is there, and as the traffic we are getting from this site is targetted and good I will activily go out of my way to promote my clients site on that thin one.

I wish the situation were different. I don't think that the thin site should be allowed to place adsense on its pages. But it is, and whilst it has adsense I would be foolish not to take that traffic.

For the particular search terms that this site is displaying adverts for I am paying around 18p a click. For traffic to that site I am paying a few pence a click. That is good economics to me - not bad.

Sorry Nitrous - going to beg to differ on this one. I know a lot out there will follow your pattern. There will be others like me who will utilise the rubbish sites for the moment and grab cheap targetted traffic.
June 27, 2007 11:48AM
nitrous
That may work for you for now but as soon as he realises that he is giving you clicks for less than its costing him he will pack up.

As landing page quality scores, googles algos like smartpriceng, etc catch up he will vanish.

He cannot be giving you cheaper clicks than you get from the original sites that he is buying traffic from because that does not make economic sense for him.

And non for the network either. In the end he will have to pack up or lose cash.
June 27, 2007 01:58PM
Troi
Quote:
That may work for you for now but as soon as he realises that he is giving you clicks for less than its costing him he will pack up.

What if he doesn't use PPC traffic. Thin site - all organic traffic. He is still making money from my targetted traffic - albeit very small amounts.

I do agree - I think this situation will fade over time - with more and more people realising that thin sites just won't work. But this will inevitably take time. And while I am able to target this traffic source I will.
June 27, 2007 02:32PM
nitrous
But chances are that his site is low page rank (or none) and he is buying his traffic.

Or he would get so little the chances of you getting any clicks from it would be a bit unlikely.

This new feature can only do good I think.

Has anyone considered stickying adsense advisor and telling him why all the posts there are by newbies and spammers?
June 27, 2007 03:08PM
Troi
I'm reading very mixed responses to this on "Webmasterworld".

Some have gained confidence in the content network - as they can now see and block sites that they don't want their ads to show on.

Others - alarmed at the amount of MFA, off topic sites showing their ads, have simply turned content off.

Next few weeks could prove interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2007 09:42PM by Joshua.
June 28, 2007 08:15AM
Harold
The effect may be different in different areas.....
June 28, 2007 09:15PM
DamonHD
I only saw a couple of really lousy converters (on an India campaign) so I turned them off (blocked them) and conversion costs do seem to have dropped a bit.

Which is what it should be about, IMHO. Set a generally tight campaign, geo area, etc, and then watch for the outliers: can the bad ones and work to get more out of the good ones...

Rgds

Damon
June 28, 2007 10:05PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.