Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Further June 1/June 8 fallout?
I'm wondering how things are going for folks now that we are a few weeks into the post-click arb. era (though of course it's not, since they all now use Overture).

nitrous, I'll post on your behalf: "steady as she goes, earnings and eCPM all healthy. No changes." Of course, if you are seeing changes, then post?

I had thought I was going to get by with little or no impact, but over the past couple of weeks both CTR and average EPC have dropped for me. How about other people?
June 25, 2007 08:11PM
DamonHD
Subject: Re: Further June 1/June 8 fallout?
I had a VERY high eCPM day, then lowish the next (G automatically compensating I suspect), but generally I'd say I'm stable with increased eCPM and (purposely) decreased ad impressions giving slightly decreased revenue, nut which I'm very happy with.

So things are moving in the right direction in the round IMHO.

Rgds

Damon
June 25, 2007 08:57PM
Joshua
Administrator
I guess Damon is struggling with his $1 eCPM. For Pengi and Troi adsense has come to a full stop. Khensu is doing fine, so is Gegabit. Elvisfan still hoping for better times. Opti is going going down for years now. So why would today be different (OK, it's not a Friday). Harold is pretty steady. Mike and Ann are pretty stable too.

For the ones I missed please post.
June 25, 2007 08:59PM
Harold
I didn't mean today--I meant June as a whole, and specifically the last two weeks or ten days, during which I have seen a definite drop-off (so "Harold is pretty steady" is no longer true).
June 25, 2007 09:07PM
nitewing
Hope I'm stable!

I hate seeing Doctors, especially brain Doctors. huh!

lol smiling bouncing smiley
June 25, 2007 09:09PM
Joshua
Administrator
Compared to last year my eCPM almost doubled for this month, but I doubt it has anything to do with the arb thing. I'm seeing improved traffic, not so good weather, a little expanding number of pages etc.
June 25, 2007 09:25PM
nitrous
Well I hardly dare say...

ECPM up by about 33 percent over the previous few months and my filter is refreshed and has 199 sinners in so far!

Traffic though is down by about 20 percent after the latest update. So... Earnings are up but only a little.

How long until overture and all the others follow suit and close the accounts of these guys? before they get the bad rep that google ads were getting? And still are! ???

And what happened to pengis bid price will go up and they will all be forced to stop?

And what happened to
June 25, 2007 09:27PM
Joshua
Administrator
[A word game inside the adsense forum? I don't mind]

And what happened to the majority...
June 25, 2007 09:34PM
spanner
I am steady, gone up about 10% over the last month, and fluctuate around that new point. I do seem to be getting bigger variances in the daily income, swing up one day, drop low the next.

Traffic and ctr are steady as well.
June 25, 2007 10:03PM
Harold
Interesting. So the problem is peculiar to my site. And it's definitely a pretty peculiar site (cue cymbal crash).

Looking back at a year ago, CTR is just about exactly HALF what it was. Now, part of that is due to changes I made recently on my site, but not all of it.

This could turn out to be my lowest month for earnings in over two years.
June 25, 2007 10:30PM
James
Epc steady rise over the last three months, and is up on last month again.

Earnings up by about 11% and stable.

Ecpm is up and fairly stable.

I've had traffic fluctuations over the last few weeks but nothing unusual.

But looking at the same period last year, April marked the last good month. May's earnings were nearly half Aprils with both epc and ecpm sliding from then on. This seems like an upturn at the moment.
June 25, 2007 11:27PM
DamonHD
And what happened to the majority shareholder...
June 25, 2007 11:28PM
James
Uh?????
June 25, 2007 11:30PM
spanner
Harold, how about giving us a link, maybe we can see what has happened to your site and help?

It could be a good and profitable avenue for us all.
June 26, 2007 12:10AM
nitewing
My site: imagine a seesaw.....
June 26, 2007 12:31AM
nitrous
my site...

Imagine a spitit level. Income within 10 percent monthly since 2003 october start. No site changes.

During this time tried blending, and 2 and 3 ads per page. Initially changes made a difference. Given a month or two income returned totally back to normal...

Its as if a HUMAN looks at all of your pages and asigns a site value. X dollars per month. Traffic volume or ad type (blended, loads or not) has only an initial effect. E

ven traffic to my pages makes no difference! With some google search updates my traffic goes from 2k to 6k but strangely the bottom line remains the same!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2007 02:30AM by nitrous.
June 26, 2007 02:25AM
Harold
[www.underdown.org]

Suggestions, thoughts, reactions welcome...
June 26, 2007 03:22AM
Troi
Just had a quick peek. I've always liked your site. I've just got a couple of suggestions.

I know we all nagged you about the colour of your home page being too purple. I'm wondering, however, whether a bit of colour behind some of the left-hand cells may lift the page a bit - a bit like your Basic page - where you have the navigation cell with a pale purple background.

As this page has a lot of links on it - perhaps less blending of the ads would help. IE how about the same pale purple background colour you have used on a couple of the other pages.

Secondly, & I can ony talk for myself in the past, I found that the vertical link bar didn't produce a fraction of the horizontal on. How about AB testing using a horizontal one instead.

Just a couple of thoughts.
June 26, 2007 08:01AM
spanner
ooohhh where to start!!!

Can I take a few days and start a thread in the site evaluation forum with it?

I promise to give it a good going over smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2007 10:17AM by spanner.
June 26, 2007 10:16AM
Troi
If Harold is happy with that - that seems a brilliant idea.
June 26, 2007 10:37AM
Harold
Probably best to hold off on that! There are a lot of limits on what I can do (time being one of them, skill being another) and I have a number of questions I need to ask.

Wait till I get a list together--otherwise you'll be doing a lot of work that won't go anywhere. I don't want you to waste your time.

For now, if you see something obvious on the home page, let me know.

I'll think about Troi's idea, thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2007 01:10PM by Harold.
June 26, 2007 01:09PM
nitrous
<meta name="description" content="A children's book editor's site, with information about writing, illustrating, and publishing children's books.">

<meta name="keywords" content="children's book editor, writing, publishing, illustrating, children's books">

<title>A children's book editor's site: information aboutwriting, illustrating, publishing children's books</title>

Every time I see a word like idiots, (idiots guide) childrens books editors choice etc, they all have apostrophies. In most cases thats wrong I think. Even in the metatags and title tags. (which is too long incidentaly! - Short sharp and to the point)

It may be gramatically correct in the case of childrens books but I think maybe not?) but it means that everyone searching for childrens books might not find you. I am sure that in keywords and titles the apostrophie splits up the word in the same way a hyphen does (but an underscore doesent) In spammy domain names or image or file names you should use hyphens rather than underscires for the same reason.

If for eg a file name was childrens_books you would need to type childrens_books.html to find it.

If your file name was childrens-books.html then both childrens and books could find it.

In your case you have split every word with an S on the end with an apostrophie so children S and books are searchable. Who is going to search for children books???

And you NEED a 250 square non blended ad in the hot spot on every page! Your income will double. But thats your quality site v income choice which is hard to make.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2007 01:38PM by nitrous.
June 26, 2007 01:36PM
nitrous
You need adsense ad (single small content contextual) in the top left on every page. Where your book closeout is on this page - not a link unit. I removed them from all of my sites after a month testing. They dont work well.
www.underdown.org/book-reviews.htm

I cant even find an ad to click on on most pages!

On the plus side I dont see many arb sites either!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2007 01:43PM by nitrous.
June 26, 2007 01:40PM
Harold
Thanks, nitrous, but slow down, please! Let me start that new thread.

For example, I DID do some testing on the pages like the one you mentioned--different contextual ads, a text Bookcloseouts ad, an adlink alone--nothing did particularly well, and what's up there now, believe it or not, is the pick of the lot. I see that space as most likely to be useful for direct advertising.

I'll give a more comprehensive post on what I've tried, what I think are possibilities, etc. later today.
June 26, 2007 04:11PM
nitrous
How much traffic?
June 26, 2007 05:29PM
Harold
That will be in my more comprehensive post too!

Going to give you basic info. on the site and its history and ask about several options I see as possible ways to move forward....
June 26, 2007 05:53PM
Troi
Nitrous:
Quote:
I removed them from all of my sites after a month testing. They dont work well.

About 2 months pre adsense account loss - I had added a horizontal links bar on my pages. Revenue nearly doubled. It became, my best paying ad.

I did not place it near any other links. I had previously got a small vertical link bar the same as harolds - this did nothing for me at all. It was vertually in the same position. However the horizontal one produced extremely well.

I know this doesn't necessary work for everyone - but Harolds page layout is not dissimilar to how mine was.

As you don't have any conflicting internal or other page links at the top middle - why not AB test this. I can't emphasize enough the difference it made to me.

Of course you may already have done this.
June 26, 2007 07:30PM
Harold
I did, actually. When Adlinks came out I tried it various place and it just didn't work (the horizontal).

Pure luck that I tried the vertical on the home page. And it used to work VERY well. Horizontal wouldn't fit so well with the page design....

Or are you suggesting putting it at the top of the MIDDLE column? Or centered above the table?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2007 09:11PM by Harold.
June 26, 2007 09:10PM
Troi
How about immediately above the word Article on your home page. Perhaps try inserted a horizontal cell with a pale purple background and place the link bar in here with the same colour background.

Just a thought.

On the page Publishing - for example - a horizontal at the bottom of the page.
June 27, 2007 08:39AM
Harold
Thanks. I'm going to do some experiementing.
June 27, 2007 04:23PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.