Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Java and Java Script
Please explain it like you're talking to a 5 year old, what's the difference between Java and Java Script.
March 27, 2008 07:23PM
Joshua
Administrator
Subject: Re: Java and Java Script
My son is 7 and my daughter is 4. So it must be kind of in between what they can comprehend.

Java script is a scripting language (duh) and Java is a full object oriented programming language like C++. Oops wrong answer.

Java script is like a balloon and Java is like a balloon filled with air so you can play. Oops.

Last try,
Javascript gets interpreted by your browser while Java normally needs compilation to be understood by a Java runtime extension.

Actually I believe Java is an island in Indonesia where the SUN shines a lot.

Yep, difficult question.
March 27, 2008 10:59PM
GegaBit
So for a web site interface I use JS, but for a server application I use Java?
March 27, 2008 11:24PM
Joshua
Administrator
For a web interface I would recommend markup (HTML). After all that's search engine friendly. For trailing mouse gadgets or presenting ads you use JS or DHTML. For other things it's becoming multiple choice.

Not everyone has the Java run-time engine installed. Also it takes a while to load for the first page with Java.

A server application typically uses PHP or Perl (if we are talking web-aps) which gets translated to html by the server before reaching the user.

I mainly use VB and Lisp (Yeah, still excists) for the aps I wrote, but these weren't designed to use on the web.
March 27, 2008 11:42PM
GegaBit
Sorry Jo, this is strictly JS vs. J comparison, putting aside other options, was I correct?
March 28, 2008 12:00AM
Joshua
Administrator
Hmm...maybe I do not understand correctly but both aren't "server side".
March 28, 2008 05:47PM
GegaBit
OK, as the 5 year old that I am, what would I use Java for vs. what would I use Java Script for?
(forget PHP, Perl, Html and VB.. for now)
March 28, 2008 06:27PM
Joshua
Administrator
I'm still pretty much confused here. Not knowing what it is you want to learn from this.

Comparing the two is like comparing blue widgets with orange widgets. And I actually think you would like the brown ones (very rare widgets that is).

As far as I know (and that isn't that much on this subject) Java was developed by SUN as an platform independent programming language and the code needs to be compiled. JS was developed by Netscape and is an interpreted language (by your browser).

You use JS for displaying ads on your webpage, gadgets (like mouse trails). You use Java for whatever it is you want to use Java (can be games as an example).

Maybe what you want to hear is that JS is within your HTML code as part of the webpage. And Java would be a stand-alone application (allthough it can be rendered within the page).
March 28, 2008 08:51PM
GegaBit
That answers it, thanks Jo.
March 28, 2008 09:19PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.