Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Image Search change
Hi,

I was hit very hard, with my bandwidth going up x4 or so until my machines maxed out (>4TByte/month) and revenue dropping 30% or more.

I've decided to reject all hotlinking unless I have spare bandwidth. Now my load is a fraction of what it was and my revenue may be back.

Rgds

Damon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2013 10:22AM by DamonHD.
April 28, 2013 09:02AM
Pengi
Subject: Re: Image Search change
Ouch

Is this a permanent state of affairs or would you expect it to ease off one all the existing images are indexed. [I've no idea whether that is how it works incidentally]
April 28, 2013 10:09AM
DamonHD
Permanent (unless Google, and Bing/Y!) undo their switch to hotlinking the original full-res images, which is also rather disturbing from a copyright point of view.

It's nothing to do with indexing, though it's now less easy for me to let the spiders in. Some people have removed their images from search entirely to try to mitigate the problem, though I think that's the wrong solution.

Rgds

Damon
April 28, 2013 10:20AM
Ian C. Purdie
Why allow free-loaders to hotlink in the first place? Especially if it generates zero revenue.
April 29, 2013 01:44AM
DamonHD
It used to be valuable to allow bona fide image search to do some limited hotlinking, plus I also have some other Web properties I use my Gallery as a CMS for.

But otherwise I agree, hotlinking is generally a scourge of the idle and freeloading and is blocked.

One issue is that now, especially with https-based searches, it is almost impossible to distinguish between image-search spiders (good) and hotlinked images (often bad).

Rgds

Damon
April 29, 2013 08:02AM
DamonHD
Well, my fixes seem to be working and revenue is returning with a fraction of the bandwidth usage of before: Bing/Y! and Google are both playing very dirty with their image search IMHO.

Rgds

Damon
May 04, 2013 01:09PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.