Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: NOT Happy with Google!
So, I'm sure many of you have been following the news about "Panda"--the update on Google that started in February and has had many mini-updates since.

Until last week, I wasn't affected, at least not in terms of lost traffic. I DID get some odd added traffic to a couple of pages.

But on the 15th, kaboom. Google traffic dropped by a third, comparing Friday to Friday, Saturday to Saturday, etc. and still going on. It's hard to make sense of it. As far as I can see, searches for what I'd call my core subjects aren't affected. But in the long-tail searches, some seem to have been shut off like a tap being turned. Others have been left alone. Not a catastrophe and it may all turn around on the next update!

BUT on top of that, as you may have heard, Google has announced that for "privacy reasons" you will no longer be able to get keyword information in Google Analytics soon--UNLESS you are an AdWords customer! Yes, you heard me right. You can use Analytics to see Google traffic, but nothing about the keywords searched.
October 21, 2011 04:14AM
Pengi
Subject: Re: NOT Happy with Google!
Quote:
"privacy reasons"
!
Have they made any attempt to explain how knowing the keywords used by, presumably, an anonomous surfer jeopardises anyone's privacy.
October 21, 2011 08:39AM
DamonHD
Because, for example, one of the very first visits via a search engine to my Gallery well over a decade ago alighted at a picture of a paperclip hugely magnified but the keywords searched for were quite clearly "huge vacuum penis expander".

I think that it was likely quite easy to trace that IP address back and cause considerable embarrassment had I been so minded.

I think that G is merely proposing to strip the search terms from the referrer URL, to which I am sympathetic.

Rgds

Damon
October 21, 2011 08:58AM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
But in the long-tail searches, some seem to have been shut off like a tap being turned
Not trying to be smart but, what did you say to me a few months back about Panda?

Ironically, until the last three days AdSense has been excellent.

Excellent traffic, excellent CTR, excellent CPC...

Then "Oliver Sudden", inexplicably, CTR drops down to 0.50%.

My old complaint? Panda I know I have no control and I no longer care BECAUSE I have NO control.

I've long decided [2001] I'm not playing games with Google or any others. Either I have good content or I don't.

If I don't then I'll close it all down and go fishing.
October 21, 2011 11:33AM
Harold
Ian, I don't remember, was it some smart-ass comment? It's just odd. Some searches affected, others not. Seems random. I'm not going to wail and moan and gnash my teeth or play games with Google. It's just odd.

Having said that I did get a good idea for a new article for my site by browsing the keyword phrases that bring people there, and realizing that I don't really have a good article for one of them...

Damon, I think they are proposing to do more than that, but we will see. Apparently it will only be done for people logged in at Google, so we will get keyword data for the ones who are not.
October 22, 2011 04:21AM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
I don't remember, was it some smart-ass comment?
Not smart, just your observation [from memory] that Panda was sifting out the irrelevant sites in favour of better ones.

Up or down? Neither of us have any control over it so I can't do anything and don't.

Tweaking things I believe is a waste of time because if you see an improvement you can't prove there wouldn't have been that improvement anyway which merely coincided with the tweak.
Quote:
I did get a good idea for a new article for my site by browsing the keyword phrases that bring people there, and realizing that I don't really have a good article for one of them
We've all been there, done that.
October 22, 2011 11:36PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.