Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Google showing full-size creen shot of site in serps
Well I know this has been discussed - but today for the first time I saw this in action. Did one of my normal searches to see where my site was appearing - hovered over it and up popped a full screen shot of the site. Ironically, I'd been testing having adverts on this page - and the adverts didn't show, nor did the background image or the header image. Looked totally crap. Two minutes later it had gone - assuming they are AB testing again. Anyone else seeing this?

Not very impressed. Also, if this was thought of as a way of people being able to see whether sites are mfa before visiting them - it fails, as the adverts didn't show up. So totally useless for that purpose. Also I suspect that all the mfa'ers would do to get around it is make a very simple splash page forcing visitors onto the next page.

Another anoying change that in my opinion will put people off visiting sites that are good because Googles screenshot isn't displaying them correctly.

Bahhhhh
November 09, 2010 10:46AM
Joshua
Administrator
Subject: Re: Google showing full-size creen shot of site in serps
Here it is in action:

Actually I don't know if it hurts much. But is sure goes beyond showing a snippet, so I doubt we can call it "fair use".
November 09, 2010 03:45PM
Joshua
Administrator
OK, It's officially announced now to be rolled out in the next few days.

[googleblog.blogspot.com]

Quote:
The new feature is rolling out now and should be available in more than 40 languages in the next few days.

And you can testride already here:
[www.google.com]
November 09, 2010 04:17PM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
Was mentioned "elsewhere" a few weeks ago ..general reaction was hostile..

Interesting is that the G blog only mentions it today ..( given that it has been running intermittently for while ) and then switches it off the same day they acknowledge it's existence ..

"The experiment you're trying to access is no longer available."

"no archive" may stop it ?

as it doesn't appear to pull "live code" or to be a chromeless window to a live site ( it it was one would expect the adsense code to function and thus display ads ..and that would "break" the display as the allocated space in adsense displays can be larger than the "thumbnail" ( although they could recode adsense smaller on the fly to display in a hovering thumbnail ..it would mean much more backend work )

anti hotlinking would explain why no images were shown even on a page that wasn't "no archived" ..

"screenscraped" is different ..and near impossible to stop unless one knows the "bot(s)" ..and keeps up ( instantly ) with the ever changing "bot(s)" and "autoscraper" name(s) ..and blocks them ..

And manual screenscraping is impossible to stop ..one can only DMCA/lawyer after the event ..

If G use a new bot for it ..it can be blocked ..( with caveats ) ..see above ..

If they use an existant bot ..?
The choice will be between

Be in their index/use adsense ..or block Google

Btw ..really want to wind yourself up ?

Try .."yourdomainname screenshot" as a search string and then look at how many people run screenshots of your pages as full size or near full size images with ( no other content or very little ) and their adsense wrapped around the "screenshot" ..

DMCA/lawyer whack-a-mole can stop that..but is time consuming..
November 09, 2010 06:10PM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
Discovered since that post that it's not available via Opera ..

but is available via Firefox and is still "live"

and it's "screenscraper"

pages that were running adsense when scraped are showing adsense ( non clickable ) on the thumbs ..

The thumbs vary in height but are 336 px wide ..so this is aimed squarely at the mobile phone screen market ( used horizontally "landscape" ) ..

If you adjust your browser to mobile phone screen size ( 480x800 for "captivate" etc and all the none apple phones or 640x960 for iphone )..and then try these serps , you can scroll up and down the serps ..and view any site in the scraped "preview" ..without ever needing to go to the site ..

This is designed so that the surfer stays on google for as long as possible ..next move ..overlay adwords or maps via z index ( or slide ins ) over the "thumbs".

Google just hi-jacked the internet ..

what was yours is now theirs ..they took it ..scraped is not fair use ..
November 09, 2010 08:53PM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
Suggestion..run html and simultaneous flash content sites..
Enough text and small images to be in the serps ..bigger images and content that you dont want screenscraping ..serve via included flash..

Apple will either implement flash ( I think they may have to ..and it won't be the first time that Jobs has climbed down ) ..or not ..

And inspite of it's PR Apple only has 10 to 12% of the mobile market ..the rest will run flash and will do so right out of the box ..
November 09, 2010 09:15PM
Joshua
Administrator
I downloaded some of the pics. They were 302px wide. Not big enough to be able to read the actual content.

Also did you notice they stack several pictures on top of each other to create the thumb?

I don't see any Adsense in the thumbs for my site, nor Friend connect. Maybe the Adsense you saw was provided by a feed?
November 09, 2010 09:29PM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
Quote:
Maybe the Adsense you saw was provided by a feed?

Nope ..depends on the time that the screen was scraped ..some of these may be being done from the feed to the video card(s) of a scraper system(s)..( auto box equiped with screen display ) that actually "surfs" and just intercepts what comes out of the vidoe card and would normally "paint" the screen display ...

Easy to do if you are a linux "shop" ..harder ..but still possible to do if you are doze ..

Apercite offer basic screenscraping for free here..[www.apercite.fr] ..and "à la carte" ..for payment ..they run via Iliad ..( huge server farms and ISP telco ) ..the upfront "cost"/"overhead" requirements are that you need lots of storage and a fast pipe to push it through when it's called ..G are feeding it into serps as a javascript include ..they ( like Iliad ) have the storage and the pipes ..and they are both linux experts ..

Quote:
Not big enough to be able to read the actual content

Big enough to see pic's if your site is all about pic's removes the need for the visitor to visit if G shows thumbs 3 times bigger than you show your own thumbs ..

Flash hybrid sites is the way to pull the teeth on this dog ..
November 09, 2010 10:16PM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
"Screencaptures" or "printscreen rips" is probably better way to describe what G are doing in some cases ..
Some results are a mixture of pages taken and miniaturised from their "cache" ..and some pages that are "scraped" ( and because of anti hotlinking have no images) ..and some are pure screencapture rips ..just like if you hit the button on your keyboard ..the latter have adsense showing ..because a "screen capture" does ..some sites they serve a mix of pages depending what they have ..

No doubt they'll be back with pure method "screen captures"..already they run many many undeclared "bots" and browser config sigs at us ..from many unusual IP's and countries and even domains that are waaay "off ranch" or "off plex" ..check your logs ..
November 09, 2010 10:39PM
Harold
Hmm. My site looks OK in this. Maybe will bring me more traffic as sites below it in SERPs look crappy.
November 11, 2010 03:47AM
Ian C. Purdie
Hmm I'm back to pos 1 and 4 for my principal key phrase and the screen capture for both looks OK to me.

Damned if I see the point in all this.
November 11, 2010 07:00AM
DamonHD
I have not seen it at all yet!

Rgds

Damon
November 11, 2010 08:03AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.