Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Google Instant Search
Just been looking at one of my sites via the new instant search. Interestingly, my site shows at number 4 for its main keyword - but stick an "s" on the end of the second word and it drops to 8.

Now I've not been in postion 4 for this keyword for quite a while - so in essence this is a good thing so far.

Anyone seeing anything worth noting in changes in ranking or adsense revenue? I have to say adsense revenue was up for me yesterday - but I've had a whole load of changes going on on pretty much all of my domains - so impossible to know whether any of those are relevant - or whether the instant search is playing a part.
September 10, 2010 08:49PM
Harold
Subject: Re: Google Instant Search
Purely speculative, but I'm wondering if this won't help sites in the top positions do even better relative to sites lower down. When I tried it, to keep typing I could only see the top 4 or 5 results, so the ones lower were effectively invisible.

Works like a more complex version of "I'm Feeling Lucky"
September 11, 2010 04:49AM
Ian C. Purdie
Sheez a new thing?

For months, maybe years, in IE8 and Firefox 3.3 or whatever with my Goggle Toolbars, when I enter search terms I've been given helpful suggestions?

What the frigging hell is new?

One new thing!... Personally... Google has lost the plot and I've complained to them [FWIW]

Might have changed by now, but search "Buffalo Wings" and see heaps of frigging videos.

Do it, do it.
September 11, 2010 07:20AM
Ian C. Purdie
[CLARIFICATION]

With my Toolbar I've had suggestions from Google since way back when, this new stuff as far as I know has not been released in OZ.

We'll see

I expect no different unless they go stupid. See my post above about recent changes.
September 11, 2010 07:27AM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
I think that this is going to increase the number of ads from advertisers that are available to the content network ..

Advertisers are going to be very very unhappy about impressions being counted merely because they were being displayed during a 3 second window and or for typos as G's "predictive" constantly changing text and ad blizzard search pages eat through their budgets ..

Their ROI is likely to take a dive as they are displayed for increasing irrelevant texts strings to their products or services ..

By comparison the content network will appear to be the more "targeted" option ..( in spite of the influence of personalized ads..which depending on the layouts you use tend to account for only a maximum of 25 to 30% of the ads displayed to a personalized visitor ..you can verify this "factoid" fairly easily ..needs a minimum of 2 machines though )..When advertisers realise that their targeting and impressions is now better on content .."inventory" will rise , albeit maybe slowly..ads will become even more "relevant" to the on page content ..and that should see a rise in CTR ..

So for publishers with high traffic and short keywords ( think about "predictive text" and levels of literacy or lack thereof .. there and you'll see why ) ..and keyword in domain sites ..t'will probably be a good thing ..and to a lesser degree it will benefit those with huge sites and many keywords driving traffic ..

However to anyone doing arbitrage entirely with G ..its is execution by impressions ..presumably this last has been factored in by G and is to them a desirable side effect ..

As non arbitrage advertisers feel the pain of useless impressions and their QS begins to result in higher bid prices ..they may temporarily reduce their spend on the content network ..so as to concentrate their spend away from what has always been perceived as the "crappier" offer ..

But I don't think that it will take long for them to decide that "more or less" targeted is better than the predictive instant arbitrary and increasingly irrelevant search terms that they will find are costing them money on the search side ..they will site target more also.

In other words some publishers may take a short slight dip ( depending on the factors I mentioned above ) ..but longer term I would expect overall revenues to rise ..

Unless the "plex" finds a way to ( either by design or accident or collateral damage due to some as yet unseen new thing ) screw it up for publishers ..

Either way ..short keywords ..easily recognizable keywords ..and short "associative emotive" call to action keywords.. and keywords ( the shorter the better ) in domains ..always were good news ..and even more so since instant went live and especially since it was rolled out as auto opt in ..

Even if some desert ( because they hate the "blizzard" ) G for other search engines ..if one has all or enough of the above ,then that doesn't do any harm anyway at Bing ,Yahoo or anywhere else ;-)

Of course YMMV ..and I could be wrong ..but me and Hari Seldon were talking about this over a couple of glasses ..and some things are predictable to a degree given enough data ..G seem to think so too ..

edited for typos..probably left some in as usual ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2010 02:26PM by mikeinfrance.
September 11, 2010 02:20PM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
Oh ..and one other thing ..sites and pages which have high levels of traffic due to non search ( ie good traffic feed backlinks ) ..will do waaaay better than those who don't ..

Especially if they also have the keyword factors I mentioned above ..
September 11, 2010 02:44PM
Harold
Ian, this is different from the suggestions you see in the box where you are typing your words.

This is actual SERPs, appearing as you type!

Mike, interesting thoughts. We'll see what happens.
September 11, 2010 07:00PM
Ian C. Purdie
@ Mike
Quote:
edited for typos..probably left some in as usual ;-)
What browser do you use? No spell checker available for it? I use FF3 and I've a brilliant OZ dictionary for it highlights most spelling errors.

No help if you type "pleas" instead of "please" of course.

But I wouldn't leave home without it.

@Harold

Obviously it hasn't been released in OZ yet.
September 12, 2010 12:23AM
Ian C. Purdie
Forgot, when I was searching for recipes for "Buffalo Wings" yesterday all got was listing after listing of stupid videos.

Never had that before.
September 12, 2010 12:25AM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
My spell checker problems are insurmountable ..
comes from using an English language version of Linux ( with French language support ) inputting via a French language keyboard ..and all the spell checkers that are built into the various browsers and office software default to American English ( oxymoron if ever there was one there )..I tried installing multiple spell checkers ( one for each language ) ..the software can't make up it's mind which to use ..

And every word typed in French is underlined in any software ..even on my windows machines because I have them set to English language overrides for the underlying French OS on most of them ..and again their keyboards are all French layout azerty..( interestingly "azerty" is flagged as incorrect and "qwerty" is suggested as a correct alternative ! )..So I just ignore all the red lines and when I can be arsed ( arsed is also flagged as incorrect ;-) I go back and correct the more blatant errors that jump out sufficiently to grab my attention ..

I've also fallen into using "Franglais" spelling as I actually use French far more in conversation on a daily basis than English and have done so for the last 15 years or so ( been here 20 ) , reading and writing are about 50/50 French and English ..but only if I'm on the net ..otherwise I tend to think , read , write , speak , dream etc far more in French than in English nowadays ..

Upshot is .. a lot of errors get through ..

BTW ..reason that I "override" my various OS to English is that the translation in most of them ( especially 'doze any flavour ...meh ."flavour" wants me to spell it "flavor" ) has been done from English to French and done excruciatingly badly ..and In the case of windows ( any flavour ) even in France lots of the OS sold to the french is left in English ..And you can hack the rest if it isn't the Ulti versions ..in which case you don't need to..And some of my software doesn't exist in French anyway ..

On this machine I run Opera , FF 3 and konqueror ..all at once .with currently about 250 tabs open on Opera and another 100 or so on each of the others .and I've got IE6 ,7 and 8 on sticks that will run as portable apps in wine ..just to check what breaks ;-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2010 01:33AM by mikeinfrance.
September 12, 2010 01:18AM
Joshua
Administrator
Ian,

You can test it here: [www.google.com]
(ncr meaning no country redirect)

I've seen a lot of moaning from webmasters on tech forums but seen almost only positive notes from regular users in newspapers.

We don't have it here yet, so can't comment on any traffic impact yet.
September 12, 2010 11:23AM
Ian C. Purdie
Interesting. Not sure its any improvement.
September 12, 2010 11:54AM
Harold
When, exactly, did it launch? I've had an increase in traffic recently--but I would expect that, as that usually happens at the end of the summer.
September 13, 2010 03:55AM
DamonHD
It's been a soft-ish launch over the last week or so.

Rgds

Damon
September 13, 2010 09:13AM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
Poster in the instant thread in the other place just announced that their minimum bids to stay in place in search just went way up ( as I predicted ) ..I think there will be inventory increases on the publisher side before the end of this month .
September 13, 2010 08:29PM
Harold
Mike, I hope you're right!
September 14, 2010 03:17AM
Ian C. Purdie
Be still my beating heart
September 14, 2010 03:49AM
DamonHD
Me too! Me three!!!!11!!!eleventy-one!!!1!!!
September 14, 2010 08:13AM
DamonHD
Wow! My AS revenues per day for the last 6 days and so far today have been about twice the typical average.

Rgds

Damon
September 15, 2010 08:08PM
Troi
I'm just "steady" - nothing very exciting to report in any one direction - but way too many changes going on for me at the moment to draw any conclusions at all.
September 15, 2010 08:27PM
James
I'm on the high side so far this month, but what it's down to who knows!
September 15, 2010 08:44PM
Ian C. Purdie
Still up/down average
September 15, 2010 11:22PM
Harold
I don't see anything notable. Have recently started tweaking, trying to add AdSense to pages that hadn't worked in the past. That's upping my numbers a bit, but I think if I pull those out I'm not seeing any real difference...
September 16, 2010 04:17AM
GegaBit
As a user I am very annoyed, I'd rather finish posting a question before receiving a hyper answer, this is reminding me of my Teen son!
September 16, 2010 08:06PM
Harold
GB, I noticed a link up in the corner that seemed to suggest one could turn it off. I wonder if a significant # of people will do so.
September 18, 2010 06:23PM
GegaBit
Yrs Harold I too noticed it only today
Clicking it did nothing
Them I went to settings scrolled down 2 pages then turned it off

I too wonder if many users would know to do the same.
September 18, 2010 11:14PM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
<marketroid head on >

Google hopes the answer is very very few ..stats from those who run adwords and have seen their impressions go through the roof and thus their QS plummet ( 'less they pay more to get a better QS ..WTF ..

( well just how does a crap landing page get better if you pay more ?..Oh yeah ..we'll let you gold plate turds ..for a price )

..( remember I had this discussion about 4 years ago in another place with plex PR guy Adam ..then he stopped replying ..and was not heard from there again )

..consistently lying is for PR Pros ..ask the little brothers ..he wasn't up to it ..and the plex's reptiles decided that they didn't need to care who knew ..as long as enough marks fell for it or lived in fear of traffic loss ..

Oh yeah that's what instant is about ..increase exposure to adwords ..make organics less relevant ..see who amongst the adwords players will bleed red ink until they died ( and there are always more to take their places ) ..'specially in the 4th quarter ..

Unless they ( the webmasters ) are positioned ( optimised ) to take advantage of short char searches ..or have backlinks that actually feed traffic as opposed to "bling" G into thinking they are "important" ..

Read your stats ..act ( but not precipitously ) upon what you see ..

And sometimes that means making networks of sites ( and PR postings ) ..on many servers ..and in many places..( targeted ) that discretely feed your bread and butter sites ..

You can "prequalify" your own traffic ..but it takes work..

And you wont really have to worry which SE / face book / whatever is top dog ..of the day .

</ marketroid head off >

That was a freebie ..;-)
September 19, 2010 01:04AM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
BTW ..re "that was a freebie" ..
there are no "payees" here.
and I'm not touting for business via PM's..

( That's one of the things that annoys me about "the other place"..
How many mods , senior members , and even certain admins are pushing themselves or their clients or their clients interests..or massaging their reputations ..ther are some good people there ..but too many sharks to feel relaxed )

..which is why we are here ;-)) IMO

Here its less of an ante-chambre ..more of a village green ..or a pub ;-))
September 19, 2010 01:40AM
Troi
Don't start me off on this. I find the current instant search awful. Fortunately it isn't working on my laptop - but husband has it on his machine. It drives me up the wall.

I have another complaint on it. If you rank in the top couple of positions for a keyword(s) - the drop down suggested searches actually blocks out the instant search results - so as far as I am concerned it is better to be ranked around position 4. Also if you happen to be adwording - your top position sponsored ads get blocked out by the drop down suggestions.

My friend - who some of you know from in here a while back - who has a very large size knickers site ends up with some very odd results. Her main keyword for her site is plus size knickers. Once you get past the knitting sites - ie you enter "plus size knic" - the whole screen goes white - as Google obviously deam anything beyond that as "adult" content. However if you type in "xl knickers" you get the normal instant search for knickers. Where is the logic in that?

Consequently her traffic has significantly dropped off. Oh well - sent to try. And yes Mike - I quite agree - the likelyhood is that bods will be forced to either start using adwords and bidding on short term keywords in order to appear anywhere useful - or if they are already bidding - due to the rise in impressions will be forced to pay more in order to stay where they were.

Interesting months ahead I feel. Anyway - as publishers I reckon it will definately show increases in adwords competition - which theoretically should result in increased earnings per click. The downside could be if your site also receives less traffic due to the new instant search. So could be a catch 22 situation.
September 19, 2010 10:12AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.