Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Should I change to Google Chrome?
I currently use Internet Explorer 8 as as my internet web browser. It works fine for me, but I haven't really looked at other browsers. I haven't got a problem, so I see no reason to change.
My children use Google Chrome - what would this do for me that IE8 doesn't?
August 28, 2010 11:35AM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
Subject: Re: Should I change to Google Chrome?
Report everything you do and see ..straight to Google ..multiple times per minute..

If you are going to change ( and want to learn how fast and simple the web really can be ) try Opera ...it's faster than Chrome

And if you want interesting add ons ..try Firefox ( but it will be a bit slower than IE ) ..

And I'd recommend that you get your kids to switch to Iron Browser ( if they really can't be doing without the Chrome look ..but don't want uncle eric spying in their smalls drawers ) ..and it's just as fast as Chrome ..but does less than Opera can out of the box..
August 28, 2010 11:56AM
James
My son recons it's faster than IE, but I didn't like it when I tried it. Although I use Firefox occasionally, I'm sticking with IE.
August 28, 2010 09:50PM
GegaBit
Every web browser out there is faster and safer than IE

Does that make any of them Better? No because we humans are creatures of habit and comfortable with what we already know.

- Firefox is all I use for work
- Chrome I run when I visit few sites, this forum is one of them
- Opera I use on sites I do not trust with rock solid settings.
- IE is an icon collecting desktop dust

I make a point to separate personal from online work through different browsers.
August 29, 2010 12:19AM
Pengi
I would guess that IE is only less safe because it has so many more users and is therefore targeted more.
I'd be very surprised if it was intrinsically less safe than any of the others.

Aside from the security issues, what specic features does does Google Chrome offer?
August 29, 2010 11:35AM
DamonHD
IE started from MS's position that "security isn't important, capturing market share at all costs is" and has rowed away from that, but my whole recent float fun reminded me that the end user's safety and experience is secondary.

Safari is presumably intended to be pretty and have a great user experience, but Apple seems to understand security.

All the other come from backgrounds where security has been understood from the start and designed in.

So they all have flaws, but many of IE's are still structural.

Rgds

Damon

PS. All IMHO.
August 29, 2010 04:00PM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
IE's problem started when they decided that you could ( as Damon said,for the sake of capturing market share via so called convenience ) type a web address into the address bar of the desktop explorer app..and it would become a browser app and "take you there"..that meant that the desktop browser and the web browser were to all intents and purposes one and the same interface ..and accessed the same areas of the OS ..

Which is a lot like making the front door of the bank also the door to the safe ..

Or the NAAFI door the same as the CO's safe door and the same as the weapons store and arms store ..you would n't want your tactical nukes ..or your shoulder launched munitions or your small arms nor group battle plans available to someone who just came into get a couple of rashers and a box of tea bags ..

Redmond pretty much made that the scenario ..any script that ran in the browser ran pretty much amok in the OS because the browser could get to all of it ..they have been putting band aids on that self-inflicted wound ever since ..:-((

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2010 06:13PM by mikeinfrance.
August 29, 2010 06:12PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.