Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Google.cn now redirects to uncensored google.com.hk
Very very interesting nose-tweak to China.

[search.slashdot.org]

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Rgds

Damon
March 22, 2010 09:57PM
Ian C. Purdie
Subject: Re: Google.cn now redirects to uncensored google.com.hk
The Chinese really could care less. Truly.

A Chinese scholar writing for Asia Times Online recently tried to explain to western readers the Chinese mind set versus western mind set.

Essentially, Chinese think in terms of thousands of years of experience. The events over the last seventy years or so are merely a "bump in the road". They look forward in terms of the next thousand years.

We have literally no comprehension of Chinese experience or mind set.

Google comes, Google goes, they care less, irrespective of western media reports. A micro-second in Chinese eyes.

China fears one thing and one thing alone. It's a psyche thingy.

"Disorder".

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.
March 23, 2010 12:38AM
GegaBit
If the gov blocks Google, the Chinese business will be affected, I don't think the exporting factories care for their gov's 100 year plan, also I'm not too sure Google is replaceable by Bing or yahoo yet when it comes to indexing quality.
April 03, 2010 12:29AM
Ian C. Purdie
I still think China cares really less in terms we regularly understand.

We just went through dramas in Australia with the "Rio Tinto" iron ore case.

Albeit they were quite severe with the participants, very severe by our standards, BUT they weren't the real targets.

The real targets, by example, of and to others, were incredibly, Chinese "billionaires", especially in the iron ore industry.
Quote:
If the gov blocks Google, the Chinese business will be affected
Sorry mate, Google in the overall scheme of things is three-fifths of bugger all. China's businesses will go on to perpetuity.

Few people in the Western world understand the monolith we have inadvertently created.

Where communism merges with capitalism.

New theme.

Somewhere...

Perhaps in my lifetime, blundering [as usual] USA, totally full of themselves, will provoke the Chinese and we are all going to be the poorer. The Chinese will not come off second best, but stupidity will.

In that light, Google will look like a five second wonder anyone will hardly recollect in those micro-seconds.

Sorry but true.

China is very active world wide. Pursuing a good foreign policy all our governments before should have done for well over 100 years.

Our idiot governments largely can't see it. Fairness and justice aren't in their vocabularies, but they woke the sleeping giant and like the Genie, it can't be put back in the bottle.

Google and business [as we know it] are a mere passing puff of air.

Trust me. I'm well read.
April 03, 2010 12:39PM
DamonHD
I believe that you are well read, and I hear and understand what you say, and Google is a Gnat in the whole history of Chinese culture as you say.

But this gnat may have been a bad one to swat for a number of business and technical and diplomatic reasons IMHO.

The Chinese state is run by humans and still makes (near-fatal) mistakes sometimes: this is indeed not one of them, but this continues to show that China can be caught off-balance and still shows a tendency to cut off its nose to spite its face (Maltese version: cut off its balls to spite its wife).

I'm not claiming that the West is (necessarily) better in this regard at all, and indeed with China seemingly run by people who understand maths and logic and science while in the West we're run by lawyers and artists and commercial special interests who disdain reason and probity, there are many things that China does right or can do right.

But again I think that China has made a small but significant tactical error in this, especially but not only if they were caught with their hands in Google's IP till as claimed.

Rgds

Damon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 02:31PM by DamonHD.
April 03, 2010 12:51PM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
The Chinese state is run by humans and still makes (near-fatal) mistakes sometimes
I'd have used the words horrific and blundering. But to them? Mere microseconds in the road to progress.

Mate, I don't disagree with you premise, simply with the scale of things.

In our lifetime, no risk, the USA - along with all of the rest of us "noddies" will stupidly take on China. Most likely economically meaning to all, our own personal "pain and suffering".

Blind stupidity!

Somewhere on the HD I have a really brilliant article something along the lines "Mr. USA, I'll tell you how to run a sensible world wide foreign policy - from China" [entirely my words]

Had nothing to do with "subversion", had nothing to do with "subjugation", had nothing to do with shit foreign policy.

But it did end [my words] with the statement "we can lend quality foreign aid where the infidels [foreign bankers] don't rape you".

The future of the UN [in my lifetime] is an organisation [hopefully] devoid of the "old school chums who now run it".

Israel beware.
April 03, 2010 01:44PM
Ian C. Purdie
In fairness and balance I should add.

This country of mine [Australia] has no recession, has had about ten years or so of brilliant economic performance and will well into the future.

Nothing to do with governments of either persuasion.

All to do with a five letter word:

CHINA

We have an unprecedented boom where China buys everything, including the dust in the street.

Don't be fooled like the idiots who can't see beyond China and our puny place in the world.
April 03, 2010 01:54PM
DamonHD
I hope that at some point we can spend a long beery evening together in a bar somewhere, seeing who can out-trenchant the other as well as agreeing on many things I'm sure!

I continue to see China as not so much as a threat but rather a vastly interesting emerging power (and I have some of my pension money invested there of course), and these events all add to the theatre...

Rgds

Damon
April 03, 2010 02:35PM
GegaBit
First of all on history, 10,000 years has no significance or weight in anything except perhaps cultural influence if a generation or two manages to hang on against government brain washing, and trust me I know what I am talking about.

Second business, name 10 recent Chinese technological innovations or inventions off the top of your head.

I'm not saying they're not smart, powerful or big, China copies technology and today only invents in the fields of mass cheap human resource manipulation, such a country is better off opening up on information intake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 05:18PM by GegaBit.
April 03, 2010 05:17PM
DamonHD
GB, that was said about the Japanese for at least the second half of the 20th century, but they managed to out-do the West in many technical fields once they got going. And the Chinese easily could do the same, though better if they do it as you suggest by accepting information flow from the outside world freely and willingly and dealing with any entrained murk, rather than by trying to ignore or steal it IMHO.

Rgds

Damon
April 03, 2010 05:47PM
GegaBit
Funny you mention the Japanese, I was thinking of them as a contrast while writing the above, while deceptive, these are two very different cultures and mind sets.
April 03, 2010 06:09PM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
I hope that at some point we can spend a long beery evening together in a bar somewhere, seeing who can out-trenchant the other as well as agreeing on many things I'm sure!

Would love it Damon. Rarely love drinking with people who agree with me. Fast running out of people alive who disagree though.

Funny thing about mates, they have this bad habit of dying on you. Like my father I don't relish the idea of being the last man standing.
April 03, 2010 10:47PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.