Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Behavior of Google Alerts
I'm sure many of you use Google Alerts--the idea is you put in some keywords and Google will let you know when they index a page with them.

I use it to hear about new pages that mention me and my book. It's turned up some new reviews.

Yesterday and today, I received alerts, each of which linked to a page on my site that mentioned my name and my book. These are not new pages--in one case, the page has been on my site for 8 years.

Why is Google sending me an "alert" for a page that is not new or recently changed, and which as far as I know was indexed already? Any thoughts?
October 07, 2009 05:47PM
Harold
Subject: Re: Behavior of Google Alerts
Possible clue: According to Webmaster Tools, Google crawled my site in early October, and covered more pages than it had in months (just about every page in the site).

So it appears I was re-indexed, but still, those pages were not new....
October 07, 2009 06:02PM
Pengi
Being re-indexed - possibly for the first time after the Google Alerts was introduced - could be the answer.

What would happen if your content had been scraped?
October 07, 2009 08:55PM
DamonHD
I actually use GA in part to alert me to scraping, and I've seen a few minor examples.

Rgds

Damon
October 07, 2009 09:05PM
Harold
The thing is, I've had this particular alert set up for over a year, and I'm sure those pages would have been re-indexed before. And I've got plenty of other pages that ALSO mention those keywords. It just seems odd.

Agree with Damon that this does not have to do with scraping--that would show up differently.
October 07, 2009 09:47PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.