Sometimes I'm wondering ...

I could as well hand over my site to G.

The ads ... Google Adsense
Site search ... Google coop and Google adsense for search
The social aspect ... Google friend connect
Ad management ... Google ad manager
The movies ... Youtube
My traffic (75%) ... Google search engine

And there are other services, not directly related to the site, like G-mail, Earth, Picassa and more I'm using regularly.

(Btw. I'm not using Chrome too much)
February 02, 2009 11:46PM
DamonHD
:: Quote ::
Subject: Re: Google on your site ...
I wonder this more and more myself, so I deliberately try to keep some aspects out of G's hands...

Rgds

Damon
February 02, 2009 11:47PM
GegaBit
I was thinking the exact same thing when I turned off java script on my browser and my pages loaded 3 times faster!!

Add to the above list Google Analytics.

There is no avoiding Google right now or in the near future, and I see no advantage to being too worried as long as you trust the value of what you offer your visitors, if Google should fall or turn evil, it's a simple matter of switching few lines of code to the next best service to come along and inherit the throne. Long live the King.

As for privacy and too much info in one hand, I don't think I have such big secrets to warrant paranoia, I get enough privacy offline and that's where it counts for me.

Finally, I've given up on running around distributing eggs in baskets, for one thing, I an guaranteed to lose some by forgetting how many eggs and baskets I own, I just make sure my eggs are pretty and acceptable for any basket out there.
February 03, 2009 11:52AM
DamonHD
Yes GB, I entirely agree with you on all of that.

All of my Web properties are ... well ... public, so no secrets there, and I don't mind providing some data gris for G's mill.

Rgds

Damon
February 03, 2009 08:11PM
Pengi
Quote:
There is no avoiding Google right now or in the near future

G has certainly established an incredibly powerful position. G's actions, deliberate and otherwise, can have dramatic impact on the livelihood of various businesses and individuals. Is this a healthy situation?
February 03, 2009 08:23PM
DamonHD
Yes, so long as G is careful and 'RAND' (reasonable and non-discrimatory) and mindful of the effects of its actions.

So far, I believe that G is.

Rgds

Damon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2009 08:25PM by DamonHD.
February 03, 2009 08:25PM
Pengi
But we still know of some legitimate business site that suddenly find their internet business decimated because, for no apparent reason, their listing in Google searches drops by multiple pages.
February 03, 2009 08:32PM
DamonHD
Which can be because of Google accident (like their brief labelling of every search result as 'dangerous' in the last few days) or because G may actually know that said company is up to no good behind the scenes (like that large European manufacturer using dodgy SEO that G kicked out of the results for a while).

Or just because such a complex system has absurdly difficult-to-predict emergent behaviour sometimes?

Rgds

Damon
February 03, 2009 09:20PM
GegaBit
Quote:
Is this a healthy situation?

Absolutely not healthy, but not many things in life are fair or healthy.

Allow me to explain, those livelihoods are in no different a position than workers in the only factory in town, or a 49 year old generator at GE, most people are stuck one way or the other in their careers and livelihood, having options is a rare luxury.

Add to it that there are always other alternatives for publishers, even if they pay less, although deep down I know I can do better now if I put the effort into exploring alternatives, but like most one drifts and time passes.

Finally, it is unfortunate when one company's innovation and market leadership becomes a negative while all the crap should fall on the likes of Yahoo and MS for the lack of innovation, specially that Google does not practice similar behavior that almost got MS broken into 2 companies for what it did against Netscape in the anti-trust case and lead to Gates gradually leaving his post.
February 03, 2009 10:18PM
Roger
Other than to supply content that Google can scrape and Wikipedia can copy, is there really a need for any web sites other than Google and Wikipedia?

:-)

-- Roger
February 04, 2009 01:28AM
GegaBit
:-) Interesting concept Roger

If only the rest of the scrapers were like Google, Yahoo used to 'scrape' over 10k daily of my pages with no traffic in return, although I rank even better on Yahoo than I do on Google for many good terms.. I've throttled Yahoo scraping down to 1k pages daily out of the kindness of my heart instead of blocking them! As for Microsoft, I'm 403'ing many of their IP ranges till they get their act together, that is if they ever do.

Wish there were 3 Googles.
February 04, 2009 01:53PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.