Current Page: 2 of 2
GegaBit
:: Quote ::
Subject: Re: Whitelisted for Google Friend Connect
Quote:

Yep as Jo said, the pleasure, that's the point, no or too few gadgets are available in the beta stage which is why I'm not promoting it to my visitors yet.

But what is the essence of social networking, signing up, seeing who else is signed up already, inviting your friends to sign up, making new fiends via adding people to your list of friends.. All this is there now, sort of the backbone of something to come.
December 17, 2008 06:51PM
Pengi
I guess that the networking contacts are the reward
December 17, 2008 08:16PM
DamonHD
With you on that GB, which is why I'm just very quietly showing it on one low-traffic site for now...

Rgds

Damon
December 18, 2008 08:01AM
Roger
I just added it to my rocketry site just to see what happens. The site doesn't get a lot of traffic, so it'll probably take a while to decide it it's useful or not.

-- Roger
December 24, 2008 03:44AM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
rocketry site
Are you seriously interested in Rocketry Roger?

Sheez back in 1958 when I was a very most junior idjut at Sydney University, fellows had this "so called" super engine.

Without all the boring details they bolted it to a cliff and fired it up.

With expected results, but then I was still a very naive teenager more interested in girls.

Oh University? We had a reasonable "theatre" where Episodes of "Superman" screened at random. Episode 14 this lunch hour, tomorrow Episode 2.

Anyone entering the theatre would say:

"Where are you Bill?"

"Over here mate"

"Can't see you mate"

200+ cigarette lighters illuminate the theatre. This is 1958+

We were young and stupid.

Oh, back to rockets... I could add a whole much more but back in 1977 I re-connected with one of the fellows and was told to keep my mouf shut.

Australians are very innovative people.
December 24, 2008 06:23AM
Ian C. Purdie
[Added]

I was the local frigwit who actually blew things up back them, purple smoke etc. plus a heap of stuff I've managed to forget.

Aluminium filings, Iodine mixed in and just spit into the container for a violent reaction. Fifty+ years ago so I won't swear to it.

My last day of High School, I would have been expelled for "painting" around Ammonium Sulphate? "Ammonia" plus I can't remember what but it explodes on finger contact.

I remember my Science Master taking the view that I was a "NAZI", brains but with perverse ideas. He wasn't joking, but I really wasn't.

Just a smart kid, better than the "average". Wanna guess how many girls wanted to play "mothers and fathers" with me in the eternal 1950's compulsory search of a husband who has a great future?

TRUE - this was 1958.

And no, I didn't. My father would have literally "killed" me. I know very "quaint" today if my 14 yr old grand kids are anything to go by.
December 24, 2008 06:56AM
Ian C. Purdie
I actually looked at the topic again.

How could I "rabbit" on so much about nothing?

Ah, Christmas Eve here in OZ.

Be safe, be careful and love all the people in your life and above all "shove" the money endeavours.

It ain't worth JS.

Believe me!
December 24, 2008 07:03AM
DamonHD
Ah-ha!

Had my first real (moderated but anonymous) comment and rating at my 'green' site c/o Google Friends Connect.

It was a nice comment too.

Rgds

Damon
January 04, 2009 11:19PM
DamonHD
Hmm,and another.

OK, so the combo of anonymous comments allowed but everything moderated, is showing promise...

Rgds

Damon

PS. Now awaiting editorial/ethical agonies of dealing with first rude/abusive comment!
January 05, 2009 07:04PM
GegaBit
smiling smiley
mine seem more interested in signing up
over 300 so far although it is only on one page! I'll target a million signups as soon as they throw in more toys and move the service to faster service, really really slow right now.

Think what a million links to your site in people's profiles can do to a site..
January 05, 2009 08:07PM
DamonHD
Hmm, well for my site with 200 hits a day and running at the home end of an ADSL connection that might be a bit *too* exciting!

(I once had a site featured in Mirsky's Worst of the Web --- remember that? --- that caused my then 14.4kbps (yes, kbits!) leased line to be totally maxed out for days!)

Rgds

Damon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2009 08:31PM by DamonHD.
January 05, 2009 08:31PM
Joshua
Administrator
I saw some changes in the 'member gadget' today.

#1 Members with photos on their profile are shown first.

#2 My language is supported now (the gadget shows in Dutch now, instead of English)

#3 The gadget has a log-out option (no need to run the small 'member gadget' also)

Well, that's what I noticed today.
Also don't forget to modify canvas.html to make Friend connect 'look and feel' like your site or to at least enter your site name.
January 27, 2009 01:21PM
DamonHD
Ah, interesting, I'll look for changes in my uses too.

Rgds

Damon
January 27, 2009 06:45PM
GegaBit
Yeah noticed it too, nice change with the pictures appearing first, should encourage more people to add a pic to their profile, mine were at 15% only with pics but it should improve now.

Also I noticed they had moved it to faster servers, contacted them weeks ago telling them to either speed it up or I'm removing it!

There is also a new toy for playing a music list, check it out.

Doing good so far at over 700 members.
January 27, 2009 08:57PM
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.