- Trafficking, ad delivery, and order booking
- Creatives and rich media management
- Reporting
- User interface navigation
- Account administration

This great news was announced today on the Google AdSense blog

According to the Google announcement:
Quote:
If you operate a site with remnant ad inventory as well as reserved ad inventory that you sell directly to advertisers, then Ad Manager is for you

They also added that they are targeting smaller traffic sites with this service.

Google Ad Manager is still in beta, they are sending invitations right now, but you can also apply here [services.google.com]
March 13, 2008 07:39PM
DamonHD
:: Quote ::
Subject: Re: Google Ad Manager explained
[www.theregister.co.uk]

A little more...

Rgds

Damon
March 13, 2008 08:14PM
James
A while back they announced there was to be some form of ad approval facility for publishers early in the new year. I seem to recall promises of letting us see what ads had shown, and blocking by advertiser amongst other goodies. I haven't heard any more on this one, and I'm wondering if this is the same facility, or something different related to the Doubleclick takeover. Clearly this is aimed at small business sites that have sales teams - not most of us here.

Found the link [adsense.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 08:50AM by James.
March 14, 2008 08:26AM
Troi
This sounds like an interesting evolvement - be interesting to see this in practice.
March 14, 2008 10:08AM
Pengi
Quote:
evolvement
confused smiley
Is this a French term?

winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 10:10AM by Pengi.
March 14, 2008 10:09AM
Troi
Mmmmmm - sounds like it should be a word!!!!
March 14, 2008 11:04AM
GegaBit
Quote:
or something different related to the Doubleclick takeover

Correct,
In simple terms, Google is here aiming at access to the rest of the ad space on small to medium sites not used by AdSense, and later o moving it to cover larger sites currently covered by doubleclick.

This is a new tool to help small site owners (the majority), features and control in selling directly to advertisers (see features above) previously available only to the big guys, these are only tools for you to sell yourself to your direct advertisers.

I predict a future where Google will also get involved in the rest of the transaction (closing the deal with the direct advertiser, payment..). I think this is a land grab by Google, aiming at as many sites as they can grab before the rest, getting them to use their tools, then using that towards converting them to a full Google service later on.

As a publisher I am more excited about the future of this than the immediate toys, these are a convenience for me and my direct advertiser as I already offer those features myself but at an effort, now it can be as simple as adsense, as for the future, if Google can get me direct advertisers for my non-AdSense space, handle the payment, handle the advertiser reports I can let go and work full time on my content and make even more money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 11:43AM by GegaBit.
March 14, 2008 11:41AM
GegaBit
Received an invitation from Google Ad Manager yesterday, and created and running on my site 3 ad slots today for testing, all I can say is that is is VERY interesting and must have taken a collosal amount of work and consideration by Google.

In basic concept from a publisher's POV, setting it up is close to AdSense in terms of defining slots (channels), then generating code and inserting that code into your pages, then you can sell that space and insert advertiser creative, and have Google display the ads for you, you can also have your own direct advertisers compete with AdWords advertisers for the same space.

The wider implications and uses are far more staggering and interesting. I got tons of reading and thinking to do.
June 06, 2008 01:38PM
DamonHD
Can you have an AdManager slot fall back to an AdSense slot or a third-party network?

Rgds

Damon
June 06, 2008 02:48PM
Pengi
Does this mean that I can find an advertiser I want on my site and get Google to look after the tracking and finance?
June 06, 2008 04:43PM
GegaBit
Quote:
Can you have an AdManager slot fall back to an AdSense slot or a third-party network?

When you first define an ad slot and have an advertiser, you have a choice of allowing AdSense to compete on CPM or CPC basis for that slot, you define your wanted CPC or CPM level, I guess even with no advertiser you can put your own house ad and put a CPM or CPC value on it and make it compete this way you kind of set a bottom limit.

Once you have an advertiser, you enter the advertiser data for that slot and his ad is run there and served from Google servers.

You can select when entering an advertiser if he will be exclusive for that slot (no competition), or competing on CMP or CPC basis.

That way it is a competition, not a fall back situation.

But when you first define the slot and make it available to AdSense advertisers, you also have the facility like you do in AdSense do define an alternate ad if no AdSense ads will be served in that slot and when you have your own direct advertisers booked for that slot, so yes, it will fall back.

Quote:
Does this mean that I can find an advertiser I want on my site and get Google to look after the tracking and finance?

Check the bold part in the March 14, 2008 11:41AM post above Pengi, that's exactly what I wish google would do, and in a way I predict this to be the next logical evolution step for Ad Manager.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2008 06:56PM by GegaBit.
June 06, 2008 06:54PM
DamonHD
Hmm, the house ad with CPM floor sounds very nice...

In fact, all those people whining about not being able to set a floor price for AS should use this to see if would actually help them.

Might keep out some riff-raff low bids, though not all low bids are riff-raff let me tell you! B^>

Rgds

Damon
June 06, 2008 07:01PM
GegaBit
Yeah, only problem with as I am sure you know is that when you set the floor, you could very well make half or quarter your total earnings for that ad slot. The only way for this to work is if you have a direct advertiser or an alternate network ads to serve if AdSense does not meet the required CPM or CPC.
June 06, 2008 07:45PM
DamonHD
I do indeed understand, and I suspect that G does too which is why it hasn't provided the facility directly in AS. Cue lots of even louder whining about how evil G has stopped sending ads and the only teeny-weeny thing the publisher did was set a floor CPM of $100! B^>

Rgds

Damon
June 06, 2008 08:24PM
GegaBit
Here's one more MAJOR advantage (or feature)

Assuming you are not booking direct advertisers, this means it will always fall back to AdSense..

Guess what?

<drumroll>

You can set it up to open clicked ads in a new window!
Yes, AdSense ads that you get paid for and lose no visitors for it!
Is this cool or what?

Dreadlock

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2008 12:49PM by GegaBit.
June 07, 2008 12:48PM
Joshua
Administrator
I'm testing Admanager for quite some time now (only serving Google Adsense).

Today I decided to enter an 'order' and I'm now showing affiliate ads on some of the Ad slots on my pages. Adsense can't go any lower (or can it?) so it's worth a try, at least to me.
April 19, 2009 07:33PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.