Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Wireless Printer and Livebox
I've just had to hook up with a new broadband connection and I'm now unable to print to my Wifi printer - any suggestions??

The new box I have is a Livebox and my printer is a HP 7210. I used to have no issues with ethernet connection going into my old router. Everything I can find online talks about connecting the printer via a usb lead - and there appears to be no mention of ethernet connection. I've tried following the logical stuff - any suggestions of what to try?
June 23, 2011 11:25AM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
Subject: Re: Wireless Printer and Livebox
If you are still on XP ..you'll need to go into the interface for the live box ( don't have a "live box" ( spit )and my one XP machine ( portege 7010 ) that use wi-fi is only used for streaming radio anyway runs my vlited version of XP pro for the "BBC player"..very very skinny install and only uses 64 megs of RAM ) and add the printer to the LAN ( local area network ) ..Josh might remember how thats done with XP ( but then your live box is probably running a french language interface so you'll have to have a pretty wizzy translator to hand to deal with his instructions if he does remember..

Or move the printer and use USB ..<== easy way..which you should 've done years ago.
June 23, 2011 05:36PM
Joshua
Administrator
Most likely cause is you didn't enter your WPA (or whatever security you're using) key in the printer. If this is not the problem* then let's start with the exact message you're getting when you try to print.

* printer setup with fixed ip on different subnet, that sort of stuff.

PS. If you're using restrictions on your wifi with MAC adresses make sure you added the printer's MAC on that list too (this is in the router/livebox)
June 23, 2011 07:37PM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
I'm imagining the "woooooooooosh" smiling smiley
June 23, 2011 08:14PM
Troi
OK guys I'm out all day - but will report back late pm or evening. I can't lay my hands on a usb lead as husband took the box with all the leads etc in it. Will rake around and see what I can dig up - if not will go and buy one tomorrow. Can't seem to get the same error message this morning - but was something to do with spools - if that is indicative.

Keep up with the imagination Mike - you're spot on winking smiley
June 24, 2011 10:10AM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
Spooler.( translates as stuff in the pipeline waiting to be done ..thing at the the top is next thing ready to be printed ).frequently means that your computor can "see" the printer ..but the printer is "hung up "with an unfinished job ..

Go into "spooler" IIRC on XP ? it is, right click printer, choose "spooler" ..see "unfinished job" ( whatever it is called )..varies according to what the file name was..( normally there would be no "jobs" ( because they'd all have been finished and done ) ..right click "unfinished job" select delete ..trash it ..repeat until there is nothing left in spooler..back out of spooler ..send it another print job..see what happens ..or what it says ..

New USB lead is better ..but you may still have to do the above anyway ..husband may have left a print job in the pipe line unfinished..XP and HP printers don't like that ..its like plumbing ..it can block the spooler ..

Enjoy your day out ..smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2011 01:01PM by mikeinfrance.
June 24, 2011 12:57PM
Troi
The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. this can be caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being unplugged, or being connected to a VPN, which will block your access to your local network.
June 24, 2011 03:34PM
Troi
OK Mike - I had already done this several times. The print jobs are showing - can empty it all - but still doesn't print. Will go down the usb lead route tomorrow. Don't need it urgently at the moment - but will be annoying if I do!
June 24, 2011 03:40PM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
Message you are getting means that the spooler can't see the printer ..your choices are ..set it up via wi-fi ..( complex(ish) if you haven't done a few before and means translating whatever the live box config says in French ..) or getting a USB lead ..

take a wizz to leclerc ( hypermarket ) is by far and way the cheapest place to get them "offline"..you want a "generique" USB ..not a "marque" ..get one longer than you think you'll need , a 10 meter generique USB will cost you about 7 or 8 euros in leclerc..and get a few short ones around 2 metres cost you about 3 euros each ..they are handy ..

Connect the printer and the ordi together with the printer switched off but the ordi switched on and windows open ..then switch the printer on ..plug 'n' pray will take care of it all..when it has finished ..put down your glass and run a test print..

Get yourself a large size cartridge of "no name" ( generique ) black ink for it while you are in leclerc..it will nag you that it isn't HP ..when it does you say "ta gueule" to it .. ( "ta gull" ..ta is as in tap and gull as in sea ..is near enough for it to get the message ;-) "la ferme" as in "lah firm" is more polite ..and print a test page ..

Once a week print a single line of text out ..stops the print cartridge heads from drying out ..do the same with a small image ( bmp,jpg,gif,png ) about 5 mm square will do ..keeps the colour cartridge heads from drying out too ..doesn't waste anywhere near as much ink as having to dump half full or near full cartridges in the bin just because the heads are dried ..and uses waaaay less ink that unblocking them via the printer toolbox software etc ..
June 25, 2011 02:28AM
Troi
Will be on the case today - if Wizz can face returning to leclerc !!!!
June 25, 2011 09:53AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.