Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Safe web browsing for children
Launched recently

[www.opendns.com]
A free solution to protect children I started testing on my son's computer last week

[store.opendns.com]

It's as simple as setting the dns to
dns1 208.67.222.123
dns2 208.67.220.123

on the pc or the router (if you want more protection)

Blocks x rated stuff, most proxies and infected sites
Also speeds browsing

So far works like a charm
July 10, 2010 08:05PM
James
Subject: Re: Safe web browsing for children
I've been using it for a while, and really like it. I use it on the network IP, so all of the computers on it have the restrictions. So my son can't just move to another pc to gain access to innapropriate content. I can see at a glance what domains it blocked, and what ones it allowed through.

I haven't found the restrictions too much of a trouble. It did block the national lottery site because it's gambling, but that's easy enough to whitelist. My daughter and wife haven't even noticed I use it. They would have complained if their content was blocked. The only one affected is my son who is at the age to go looking for innapropriate content, and that's exactly why I use it smiling smiley

Thoroughly reccomended for families.
July 10, 2010 08:45PM
DamonHD
Interesting.

Is it easy to see what is and isn't blocked?

Rgds

Damon
July 10, 2010 09:42PM
GegaBit
no I haven't tested it on my own pc or connection
I'm currently using Google's DNS for myself

Give opendns a spin and let us know what you think
July 10, 2010 10:06PM
James
Yes, it's easy to see what is / isn't blocked. You have a stats page whereby you can select all url's requested. Blocked ones show in red and state if it was blocked as a result of one of the categories you want blocked, or a domain on your blacklist. You can get it to show blocked only if you prefer. There are a couple more options, but those are the ones I use. You can also select a day, a week or specific dates. The free version keeps your stats for 2 weeks, the $10 fee keeps the stats for a year and gives you a bigger personal filter list.

Edit reason:- silly old fool can't spell OR type tonight sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2010 10:42PM by James.
July 10, 2010 10:37PM
James
Oh, the thing to watch is if your teenage son decides to log on to your computer when you are out and request a new password and it goes to your outlook and he reads it he can reset the filters. Make sure the forgotten password email goes to one only you know about and isn't downloaded automatically. Crafty little bugger.
July 10, 2010 10:45PM
GegaBit
my son knows he'd get a contract on his life or knee-capped if he touches one key on my computer
July 10, 2010 10:58PM
James
But you know how kids love to push boundaries....

My son rather resents having a computer savvy dad. I understand that most of his classmates parents have managed to purchase and set up routers, but not a clue about security. He can take his laptop round their houses and log on without password in many cases, and in some they have a simple password so the kids can remember it. Conrent seems unrestriced on their networks simply because the parents are clueless, and the kids aren't going to help them exactly. So the fact that I can restrict his hours on the internet, restrict and monitor content somehow means he regards himself as underpriveleged in some way!
July 11, 2010 08:45AM
Ian C. Purdie
I checked into this but my router wasn't on the list.

While researching my router to try and get further details, I quite ironically solved another problem I've had for days.

I've now been able to network my old IBM Thinkpad 600E lap top by wireless for my wife.

I even got her, her own email address. She thinks she's lovely.

Couldn't find where to put those DNS numbers though. For the record the router is a Thomson TG782T and there's nothing on the net about it.
July 11, 2010 10:06AM
Pengi
Quote:
He can take his laptop round their houses and log on without password ...

My view is that if kids want to access restricted material, then they can and will without too much difficulty irrespective of any measures I take. So long as they don't stumble into anything unintentionally then I blieve I have to trust them - that's what it must always come down to in the end.

So far, my three seem to have turned out alright (although I'm not sure if any of them will ever provide a return on the investment and fund my retirement in the manner to which I would like to become accustomed.)
July 11, 2010 10:54AM
James
Problem's slightly deeper than just viewing certain content - he borrowed my credit card and managed to subscribe to the sum of 190 per month!

I know he can access content elsewhere, and I don't want to police him, but I still feel that at age 13 (just) I need to do what I can to make access as difficult as possible for the moment. I've had a long conversation about it, and he has been told when he is older I will turn a blind eye, and come 18 (or when I think is sensible) he will have adult priveleges and responsibilites that go with it. But for now I think it's right to make access difficult.
July 11, 2010 01:15PM
GegaBit
Ian
You'll find it under speedtouch here [store.opendns.com]
July 11, 2010 07:06PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.