Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Emulating Windows XP or Vista on Linux
I sent this to my Electronics Forum and thought I may as well give it a fly here as well:

Since we had a few friendly discussions a few days back, "Net Book reload" I got thinking. Not easy to motivate me I know.

So, with this deep thinking, I recalled that the only downside to NOT upgrading to XP, Vista or whatever for me is a small number of applications which won't work on Win98SE.

Prime example is the need to run software for my Nokia 6085 mobile phone. You know the one I paid $99 for new 16 months ago with my $15 a month plan and hardly use. Frugal. Wife and daughters signed themselves up for similar devices [my wife's is identical] under stupid two year plans and pay a fortune.

Nobody listens to me though.

Back to the main game. I know some modern software can be made to run with Windows emulators on Linux, Ubuntu gets mentioned in some circles.

Now I don't want to promote a Windows Vs Linux debate, remember that to me a PC is nothing more than a tool. I go for what is efficient BUT CHEAP.

I want to run the Nokia software suite:

[www.nokia.com.au]

BTW on that page is the recommended:

Nokia Connectivity Cable CA-53
Nokia Charging Connectivity Cable CA-70

Cheapest I saw anywhere on the net I think was around $25. I bought the CA-70 cable, plus software suite CD on eBay back in May for $0.99. Yes, ninety-nine cents plus postage.

Told you I was cheap. The software works a treat on my daughters Vista machine and I subsequently downloaded photos from both my phone and my wife's phone.

Now I'd like to run it on my PC. I like a challenge. People like me who buy $99 phones and ninety-nine cent cables don't shell out a small fortune for OS upgrades just to run them.

Thanks! smiling smiley

Ian C. Purdie - VK2TIP
[www.electronics-tutorials.com]
July 17, 2009 02:39AM
DamonHD
Subject: Re: Emulating Windows XP or Vista on Linux
WINE?

Rgds

Damon
July 17, 2009 07:30PM
GegaBit
Or do without windows and use Ubuntu's Gnome Phone Manager

[ubuntuforums.org]

(I never tested any of this, I just Googled it)
July 28, 2009 02:21PM
Ian C. Purdie
I'm waiting on my Ubuntu CD
July 28, 2009 10:28PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.