Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Deal with Blank new web project/page
How do you go about materializing a new web project ?

Here's how I do it:
(please share yours)

I start with a basic layout
List all my initial subtopics as navigation
Create a new file for each topic
Start building content into each file
Add to, rename and re-sort my navigation as I work ..

The key for me is starting with navigation and taking it from there ..

Later on when most text is written CMS & graphics considerations are taken into account.
March 30, 2009 03:05PM
Troi
Subject: Re: Deal with Blank new web project/page
I start with pen and paper.

Scratch out rough menu idea - and sub-pages etc.

I then think about what additions to this may crop up over time.

Once I have a basic idea of the main menu items - I think about the design based on where is going to work best for these menu items - accross the top - or a longer side-menu.

I then think a bit about colours for the site - ie the rugby one, being sport, suited green - but with the antiques site I am going with black, as the images work particularly well on a black background.

I usually text a few different fonts/colour schemes before sorting out the css and doing a suitable page header/banner.

I then throw in a couple of sample pages to see how it is going to look after the home page. Tweak. Then bash on.
March 30, 2009 04:45PM
DamonHD
1) Choose content/topic!

2) I try to decide if its going to be lots of data (ie DB-driven) up-front or else simple text, and in either case how much structure it's likely to need.

3) Then I try to get a skeleton in place, though with somewhat more flesh (real content) than those hideous MFA/domain auto-generated sites. The skeleton will fit the structure decided earlier and test it out.

4) I try and make sure that I start with very plain livery but can change it later easily.

5) Just get doing, and add incrementally. I'm never going to be doing a big-budget site; mine will always be hand-crafted and accreted. Or "bash on" as Troi puts it.

6) Later... If the site needs to be radically restructured, eg like my Gallery expanded orders of magnitude more than I expected, I'll 'refactor' it as we'd say in software development, trying to leave the interface, ie existing main URLs, in place, though everything else may change around them.

Rgds

Damon
March 30, 2009 06:22PM
GegaBit
Getting inspired to write and build is usually a major obstacle, motivation gets dampened over time, but here's how I've solved it:

Building an almost complete home page, and always starting off any work looking at that page first, somehow this excites me to build more and gives me inspiration and energy to develop further.

btw Troi my new project home page is black background with white text too, not sure if the internal pages will be the same, most likely will be the reverse (white background), but I too find the black background irresistible and differentiating even though I know it can get annoying to read from.
April 01, 2009 02:07PM
Troi
I've noticed in the past that adsense adverts seem to perform better from very dark backgrounds - I think perhaps the ads become less apparent. I also do like images on a black background. The antiques site is starting to come together now. Have also managed to get a number of other writers involved - which is great.
April 01, 2009 02:33PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.