Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Easy-to-use CMS or Blog?
Can anyone suggest an easy-to-use, free blog or CMS package - some sort of online web site builder? I'm looking for something to install on a site my wife maintains. It's currently using software I wrote, but I haven't had to to add features like making it easy to upload photos.

I'm looking for something that will allow her to add articles with embedded pictures online.

It needs to be easy to use. My wife's okay with concepts like "copy and paste" and saving files in directories, but writing HTML or FTPing files is beyond her right now.

I'd prefer something written in PHP (though that's not an absolute requirement). My server runs on Linux with Apache web server and MySQL.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks.

-- Roger
January 29, 2009 05:19PM
Joshua
Administrator
Subject: Re: Easy-to-use CMS or Blog?
It's not the easiest package (ask Troi winking smiley), but I can support Drupal. It can do virtually anything one could wish for.

The easiest route would be Wordpress, I guess.
January 29, 2009 06:05PM
GegaBit
I'm hearing WordPress once installed and configured correctly is easy to use and add content, haven't tried it myself yet.
January 29, 2009 06:07PM
Troi
I've got two thoughts on this. Firstly - Josh is the most patient person I know, and one of the most knowledgable - and if you want to go down the Drupal route - I think you won't regret it - and will have expert advice available (providing Josh has the time) as well as a plethora of online information forums etc. It will certainly be able to do everything you want both now, and in the future.

Speaking for myself - I got lost along the way - and despite Joshs' incredible patience, I gave up. As many in here already know - this has been a personal blight of mine - which I have yet to overcome.

I do believe that wordpress is simpler to use/implement, and the user interface is perhaps easier to get your head around.

I have to confess to not going any further forward with anything - although I did discover something recently (as yet untried - and was very much given the thumbs down in here, which I took onboard) - called something like cushty CMS, which, as I understood it, would be very easy to implement in your instance - but would not have anything like the future evolvement that many sites need. It would perhaps give you a very easy way to implement what you need while you are learning Drupal - or Wordpress. Joomla is the other contender in here - which no-one has mentioned yet.

My best advice would be, if Josh is willing to help along the way - go with the Drupal. If you want a quick solution - and it will only be your wife needing to change/add images to an existing page - then the cushtycms may work - but have no experience of it other than what I've read.

Now hanging my head in shame - and off for another beer (not the speckled hen variety - before you ask!). Please keep us all informed of what you decide - and why - and how it progresses. I for one will be dead keen to hear.
January 29, 2009 07:22PM
James
I haven't tried Drupal, but for ease of installation and getting up and running quickly, Wordpress works for me.
January 30, 2009 08:19PM
Joshua
Administrator
I'm sure it works for you James and many, many others as well.

There are just two packages at the moment that I won't use/install/support and those are Wordpress and VBulletin.

Reasons for both are unfair business (in my eyes - and probably in my eyes only).
January 30, 2009 11:02PM
James
Hi Josh,

Can you explain a litle more about the unfair business please? I know little of wordpress politically. My involvement is pretty simple in that I just use it. I don't know anything about the politics.
January 31, 2009 07:34AM
Joshua
Administrator
Well for Wordpress do some reading here:
(I admit being biased, but the discussion there is not (I think)).

[acko.net]
January 31, 2009 09:02PM
Roger
I set up Wordpress for my wife's site.

It was easy to set up, but required some tweaking to get the SE-friendly URLs working right and some other things.

Then I installed the Garland theme.

Uh ... no ... I didn't ... :-)

Actually, I used a nice generic template, but plan to develop one specifically themed for her site. I'm a bit graphically challenged, but I think I can come up with something nice.

I also want to replace the home page with something less blog-like. But, that doesn't look too hard to do with Wordpress.

I copied some content from my wife's existing site into the new one (to see what it would look like). I added a plug in to list articles in a specific category as cross-references (which was something her old site does automagically). Later, I'll probably add (or write) a recipes plug-in.

You can see the test version of the site at new.bracha18.com. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

-- Roger
February 24, 2009 05:39PM
GegaBit
Good stuff Roger

Quote:
I also want to replace the home page with something less blog-like

I think that's the best thing you can do with a WordPress installation to make the site look professional, the less bloggy the better.
February 24, 2009 07:10PM
GegaBit
I just ran into this [www.cmsmadesimple.org]

cms made simple is free, appears to be simple to implement and seo friendly, worth noting by the guys down here who are always looking for this kind of solution.
August 21, 2009 10:34PM
Troi
I think I pinged this up once before and for various reasons was put off from using it - I think there is another thread on this somewhere - and the reasons given for not using it.
August 21, 2009 10:41PM
Joshua
Administrator
I recall us talking about cushy cms here, however, whatever, whensoever, please choose the one you feel comfortable with. If it doesn't need to be a development framework, probably forget about Drupal for now (although they are improving for simple sites), simply choose Wordpress or Joomla for your needs.

I don't know CMSMadeSimple, so I can't comment on that one (apart from the name, which doesn't sound good to me).
August 21, 2009 11:29PM
GegaBit
Here's another free interesting CMS I just ran into: TYPO3 Open Source content management system

[typo3.com]

Sample of sites using it here [typo3.com]

My main shallow observation is that it is both feature rich and used to make very pretty looking sites.
September 30, 2009 04:35PM
Joshua
Administrator
TYPO3 is definitely not just a CMS. Look at it as a CMF. Don't even consider using it when you're not prepared to spend at least a full month just to understand the software (that is, if you are already familiar with programming).

Otherwise, yes, some pretty big and cool sites are built with it.
September 30, 2009 05:42PM
GegaBit
programming you say? hmmm back to square one then.
September 30, 2009 06:18PM
Troi
GB - you sound like you are sort-of just where I was a while back. I knew I wanted to be able to create sites in CMS. Can so see the advantages - but try as I might, I just kept getting lost - even with the huge amount of patience that Josh showed me. I then spent some time trying to see if there was an easier version to start me off. Guess what? I abandoned it. Something came up that I had to do quickly - so reverted back to old bad habits. I really think you should give it a go - wish I stuck with it - but now got too much other stuff on. For me, I simply have so many large areas lacking knowedge - that what seems obvious to others is a mine field for me. You have probably got a great deal more know-how than me, so would probably come to grips with it much quicker. My advice would be to go with what-ever Josh advises, as he seems to be extremely knowledgable with this - and has the patience of a saint!
October 01, 2009 07:23PM
Joshua
Administrator
Thanks Troi,

Just to clear things up. Professionally I recommend Drupal *and* Typo3. A lot of our government sites run Typo3. It is scalable to almost everything you want (as a corporate site).

But it's not a package like Wordpress that can be run by the means of a few mouse clicks.
October 01, 2009 08:09PM
GegaBit
Good advice Troi, experimenting is the way to go indeed.
October 01, 2009 08:31PM
GegaBit
Just ran into this CMS, called Vivvo
[www.vivvo.net]
(Eastern European I think)
Starts at $295
looks very interesting, php & mysql based, easy to manage and SEO friendly
produces nice looking sites too
[www.vivvo.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 01:52PM by GegaBit.
September 26, 2010 01:52PM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
Serbian
Parent company is [spoonlabs.com] which is one of the nicest websites I've seen in a long time ;-))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 04:00PM by mikeinfrance.
September 26, 2010 04:00PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.