Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Change hosts
This is meant to be a checklist of things to do when you change hosts. I just did, for the first time in about 10 years! Went fairly well, but the first item is based on a mistake I made--fortunately the site was offline only from late Saturday until about half an hour ago, not a big deal.

1) Upload your files into the correct location (if you don't, your site will not appear when you do item 2)

2) Change the nameservers for your domain name. Your new host should give you instructions and the new nameserver names.

3) Set up email addresses related to the domain, if any. Make sure that you set them up as they were previously.

4) Set up an error page for "file not found" situations. This is a simple page that tells people what has happened and should have links to your home page and main site sections. Your host probably has a generic one--you want to set up one that is specific to your site.

And now I get to two things I haven't yet done:

5) Set up redirects from "yoursite.com" to "www.yoursite.com" and vice versa, as well as "www.yoursite.com" to "www.yoursite.com/index.html" or whatever. I'm a bit vague on this and would appreciate advice. I know the idea is to make sure that all incoming traffic is funneled in the same direction...

6) Set up a hot-link blocker....

Anything else? Other suggestions?
June 08, 2008 03:42PM
GegaBit
Subject: Re: Change hosts
Great Harold, thanks for the list

Quote:
Set up redirects from "yoursite.com" to "www.yoursite.com" and vice versa

and vice versa is trouble, that's an infinite loop there, if you have to just do one way redirect. I never bothered to do this one & I never had search engine trouble because of it.

Quote:
as well as "www.yoursite.com" to "www.yoursite.com/index.html"

no need for this one too, all web browsers do that bit automatically.
June 08, 2008 04:10PM
Harold
Thanks, GB. Didn't mean "vice versa"--I meant for other variants.

I heard this was necessary for some kind of bug in Google, but maybe it's not an issue (that causes the two versions to be indexed separately)?
June 08, 2008 05:55PM
GegaBit
True, I heard of those troubles, any way there's Google webmaster tools now where you can tell it which version you want indexed.
June 08, 2008 06:46PM
Harold
Thanks. I'll go look....

I'm back. Was that "Set preferred domain"? Is that all I need to do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2008 07:16PM by Harold.
June 08, 2008 07:11PM
Harold
Also, I do not have a robots.txt file. Never have. Any reason to set one up now that I've moved?
June 08, 2008 07:22PM
GegaBit
If you never felt the need for one, I think you don't need one, but that's another how to.. Thread :-)
June 08, 2008 07:47PM
Harold
OK
June 08, 2008 08:56PM
Harold
So how do I stop hotlinking? I want to serve up an image file with a pointed message whenever an attempted hotlink happens.

My site is on a Linux server....
June 09, 2008 02:56AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.