Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: How do I protect my material against unauthorised copying?
How should I go about protecting the material on my site from unauthorised copying?

What should I do to make sure that I can demonstrate that I am the original author?

Is there anything I can or should do that will make it harder for the low lives to steal my material?
March 05, 2008 06:29PM
Troi
Subject: Re: How do I protect my material against unauthorised copying?
This is a good thread to start - as we already know of several that have been hit by this.

Is there a quick and easy way of getting timed screen shots from a site? This would be a good starting point - but one that I suspect most of us are incapable of doing due to the time parameters involved - and obvious ongoing changes that occur. A piece of software that did this would be great - unless one already exists. Or is this something that hosting companies can produce?

I would also think, that text that uses many internal links to other pages within a site would make a straight copy harder.

Just a couple of thoughts...
March 05, 2008 07:06PM
DamonHD
In theory you could do at least one of two things, one low-tech, one higher-tech.

1) Deposit printed copies of key parts of your work, timestamped, with a lawyer. Wouldn't have to be the whole thing, since you'd only have to show the bit that you filed had been lifted for the obvious inferrence.

2) Use the Wayback machine.

Rgds

Damon
March 05, 2008 07:15PM
GegaBit
True, in addition to the free way back machine
[www.archive.org]

(But you must allow crawlers to cache your pages for it)

There is CopyScape
[www.copyscape.com]
Which offers both a limited free and a Premium service.

There is also the DMCA way of doing it..
March 05, 2008 07:24PM
Harold
Looking at this another way, what you do to protect your site from copying is going to depend on your site. Will people WANT to copy it? Do you know you have a problem, and how serious is it?

I put copyright statements on all of my pages (though they may not appear on some of the older ones) and have an overall site copyright policy. I also check periodically using the free Copyscape to see if any of the ten or so most-visited pages on my site have been copied. Copyscape is NOT infallible; it uses Google, and so if the copying site isn't in Google, it won't find it.

In 10+ years, I've sent out a handful of emails to people who apologized, claiming ignorance, and took the copied material down.

I think sites like mine (small, personal, not very lucrative topic) do not in general have to be too concerned about copying. Even if people did copy large chunks of my site, they'd be seen as duplicate content, not appear in Google, and not get much in the way of traffic.

People with larger, more lucrative sites have more to be concerned about and I'll be interested to hear what people do or are ready to do about copying from such sites.
March 05, 2008 07:44PM
GegaBit
For prevention, there's a software solution that I've been waiting for by incdedibill called CrawlWall
[www.crawlwall.com]
Unfortunately it is still in beta, and I send sleepless nights blocking IPs daily.

I am AMAZED that is no other off the shelf product like this although every webmaster needs one!
March 05, 2008 07:51PM
nitewing
Ist join copyscape and let them do most of the work! GET SOME REST!

Ran over this in my searchs but forgot, duhhh, to get the URL.

Sorta like closing the barn door after the horse ran away.

------------------
Terms of use policy...every page or bottom of page

.....it would appear that anyone who, without authorization, uses a web "scraper" or similar computer program to access and download data from a third party website risks potential and perhaps serious legal claims from the website operator. However, the cases suggest that, for website operators that wish to protect the data available on their website, the failure to observe some basic precautions may compromise or even preclude such claims. Specifically:
website operators should ensure that their website terms and conditions specifically prohibit unauthorized access or downloading of data using any computer program; and
website operators should either clearly identify the terms and conditions of use on each webpage containing valuable data or provide an obvious link to a webpage with those conditions.
---------------------------------------

Ann
March 05, 2008 09:17PM
GegaBit
no problem, here's the links
[www.wilmerhale.com]
(also good to prove that we are not scraping that paragraph) :-)
March 05, 2008 09:26PM
Pengi
OK, thanks for this.

Please can someone explain a few of these terms for the benefit of the ignorant (i.e. me)

1) what is the Wayback machine? What does it do? How does it compare to copyscape?

2) What is "the DMCA way of doing it"?
March 06, 2008 08:52AM
GegaBit
Way Back Machine [www.archive.org] is an internet archive of pages they crawl just like any search engine, but they do it as a snapshot in time of what is on your site. Very useful to prove the age of your content.

Someone else will come along now and explain the DMCA :-).
March 06, 2008 10:26AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.