Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: How do I publicise my site to improve my SERPS?
I understand that good incoming links to my site will help improve my SERPS rating.

I'm not convinced that sending e-mails requesting link exchanges is the best way to go about getting the sort of links that will count for much. Obviously the site must first be good enough for the good sites to want to link to it - the rest seems to rely on publicising the site.

How do I do this?
January 26, 2008 11:30AM
Joshua
Administrator
Subject: Re: How do I publicise my site to improve my SERPS?
I submit every section of my site, I think is good enough to get linked to, to several directories. Success rate is over 50%.

Once in the directories the Blog type of sites will follow naturally. Pure content sites (my competitors) hardly exchange links.

This way, by submitting sections, you get some nice deep links too, which helps ranking in the search engines greatly.

Total process of creating content until good ranking may take up to 6 months though.

[edit reason] Thread Split [/edit reason]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2008 11:34AM by Paul.
January 26, 2008 11:17AM
Pengi
I don't believe I'm aware of these directories you refer to. Can you provide some examples? Would they need to be specific to my niche area?
January 26, 2008 11:37AM
Joshua
Administrator
Sure, but as my site is in dutch these directories are in dutch also.

Here's one of them with several entries:
[karaoke.startpagina.nl]
[kinder.startpagina.nl]
[midi.startpagina.nl]
[peuter.startpagina.nl]

And here's one where I have a front-page link:
[www.2link.be]

I think you know my site. So I'm sure you'll find it. Total number of inbound directory links for my site is over 8000.
Sure it helps to get one PR8 inbound link. But all these small links are much more stable in the end. You wouldn't even notice when several hundred of them were gone.

And yes to get in they need to be on-topic.
January 26, 2008 11:55AM
GegaBit
Getting good links must be as hard as building a good site and is as important for obvious reasons.

After you've built enough of the site that makes you feel proud enough to ask for links, it's a matter of perseverance and toil.

Sending mass emails is a big NoNo, here's how I did it once and can't find the energy to do it it again for my new site.

I dedicated one month to making a Huge List
let's make a list here too..

0- Build very good site

1- Make a link target list
Research topic & competition see who is linking to who

1-a) in Google search for "competitordomain.com" as well as
link: competitordomain.com

1-b) Do not rely on just Google, Yahoo is an excellent source of linking information too:
Go to siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com
Enter the ww.domain.com you want to research
Click the "Inlinks" at the top
This will give you an even bigger list

1-c-1) Repeat for more domains
1-c-2) Do your own Google search for your site topic and list the top 2 to 300 resuts
(Helps to set Google advance search to show 100 results per page here)

1-d) Sort all the urls you have gathered for all the domains you have researched in a text file, remove repeated entries, now you have thousands if not hundred of thousands in your to do list.
And your list is now complete! Go celebrate.

2- Communicating (which was your question)

The trick is not to mass produce a template but to custom write a short, personal email for each link request, in short build a relationship not request a link. It is the tiering but the right way to do it.
I would like to

- hear your comment about a section you saw on my site
- a suggestion
- tell me something similar we have in common
- tell me something about yourself, your site and what you're trying to do
- tell me about a broken ink I have
- tell me you are not a robot and this is not a template

Warnings:
- Do Not tell me all the above in one email
i.e. one max 2 of the above per recipient suffices
- Watch out that many times one webmaster owns many sites in the same niche, you do not want to send the same person more than one email, which brings us to no. 3

3- Keep it organized
Make sure to out a note next to every link owner you've contacted, Never contact the same webmaster twice.

4- In the list you will find directories with automated submission forms, read their requirements, do not fill blindly, show them that you've made the effort to comply, also select the correct category.

5- Do Not use auto submit to 5,000 directories services.

6- Do it over a long period, pace yourself for this job is really boring!

If you find that all this is too much, there are companies that can do this for you for $$, but the good ones are really expensive ($,$$$), and they all need monitoring as they can spam or get you links in irrelevant pages, or worse, buy links.

This was a quick how to off the top of my head, I'm sure a lot more can be added later.
January 26, 2008 12:07PM
Joshua
Administrator
Very good post GegaBit, thanks! thumbs down
January 26, 2008 12:19PM
Pengi
Excellent - thanks GegaBit!

Wow - a whole new world of stuff to learn about.
January 26, 2008 12:38PM
Pengi
Presumably there are other methods that may work in some instances.

I would guess that the right sort of prompotion of a site (e.g. a mention on a television programme or a magazine advertising campaign) could lead to a large number of direct visitors - some of whom may choose to add links. I would guess this could work for a site such as Jushua's. Has anyone had any sucess with this approach?
January 26, 2008 12:42PM
GegaBit
I never seek any of those (can't advise you on how to get some) but when it happens brace yourself for a flood, I'm guessing it will probably take a good catch easy to pronounce and remember domain name for the tv and radio.

Press releases are too said to get visitors and links (if done right), although I never issued any.
January 26, 2008 01:34PM
Pengi
Should I aim to get links to my site's home page, or am I better off geting more specific links to specific pages?

Of course, I should just be grateful for any link!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2008 01:53PM by Pengi.
January 27, 2008 01:52PM
GegaBit
Most link liquests hould be to your home page from relevant pages. That's what webmasters expect.

I've never requested a deep link, it's more of a black art of making the internal topic irresistible to other webmasters and forum posters that they want to send their visitors straight to your deep page.

In all cases, once you get a home page link, the link love will flow internally through your well anchored home page text links to internal topics.

If you can talk a webmaster into linking to an internal page you're lucky.
January 27, 2008 04:09PM
DamonHD
I tend to not want to promise to keep all internal URLs working for ever (though I know that "cool URIs down't change") so I tend to ask for links to a site's home page.

And just occasionally if I see a particularly flaky link to my site that is OK now but almost sure to break later, I risk a gentle email to the Webmaster suggesting that they change it and why.

Rgds

Damon
January 27, 2008 05:37PM
Pengi
Good points both of you - thanks
January 27, 2008 06:02PM
Joshua
Administrator
I tend to ask links to sub-sections of the site. In my experience this is of greater help in ranking than letting the juice flow from the home page.

Also on a lot of sites it makes more sense to ask for a deep-link topic-wise.
January 27, 2008 07:54PM
Harold
Pengi,

I can't claim to be an expert, and I've never done much by way of "link development"--largely because my site was one of the first on the web in its topic, so I've just accumulated links over the years as new sites come along, see the sites that people use and link to, and add me to their links page.

I guess that's a tip, in a way. Longevity helps!

But there's one thing I've done that has helped with links and traffic, and that's to be active in the two discussion board and one YahooGroup most visited by people interested in my topic. I don't just post my URL. I stay involved. When a question is best answered by an article on my site, I post a link to it. But I also get a lot of credibility by just contributing.

Depends on your topic, but this can be very helpful.
January 29, 2008 12:23AM
Pengi
That's another useful avenue, thanks Harold. Again it's rather time consuming, but it could have the advantage of gaining other "supporters" who than pass on the recommendations.
January 29, 2008 08:52AM
Harold
Pengi,

It's not necessarily all that time-consuming. It's five minutes today, fifteen minutes three days later, on and on.

It is a long-term commitment, though.
January 29, 2008 03:04PM
Pengi
I understand that it doesn't necessarily involve a great deal of my effort, but I would expect that it would need a small amount of effort to be applied of a considerable duration before it has the require impact.

Nevertheless, I believe it is an important measure to add to the toolbox.
January 29, 2008 03:08PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.