Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: How to get a site ranking in SERPS?
To me Search Engine Optimisation is a black art. I've no doubt that those who are good at it tend to keep their valuble skills and knowledge to themselves. I'm also sure that Google and other search engines are continually striving to bypass the latest Search Engine Optimisation tricks in order to select the "best" sites for their audience.

I've always believed that building a "good site" with valuable and interesting content should eventually get the job done - after all, this is the sort of site that Google is looking to get at the top of the list.

However, is this enough? And are there any specific recommendations you can share on techniques for speeding up the process or influencing what actually appears in the search results?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2008 05:23PM by Pengi.
January 25, 2008 05:23PM
GegaBit
Subject: Re: How to get a site ranking in SERPS?
After you've built that good site with amazing content:

General:

Forget SEO theories, don't let it distract you. The only rules that apply are what you feel is good to do for your visitors.

On site:

- Page Title is your most valuable asset
make it relevant, keyword potent but not spammy.
- Internal site navigation structure: Plain text links well sorted and organized, easily accessible and make sense for visitors.

Off site:

- Get good relevant links, give it 10 to 20% of the time allocated to the site growth in the beginning, then 5% later on. If you can get deep links, it will be good too.

Advertising:

Minimalist approach works best, make your visitors feel your priority is to make them happy, put off advertising all together till you've built enough good inbound links.

Make your site eye pleasing in design, some sites invite, others repel, take second and third opinions, if your care is about visitors, search engines (Google) take note how visitors react to your site, make it both useful and pleasant, sacrifice nothing.

This is not all but a good start.
January 25, 2008 05:43PM
nitewing
Sounds like a plan.
Dreadlock

Ann
January 25, 2008 06:56PM
Pengi
I'm sure all the other points are pre-requisites for success, but assuming these have been adequately addressed, how does one go about this one?
Quote:
- Get good relevant links, give it 10 to 20% of the time allocated to the site growth in the beginning, then 5% later on. If you can get deep links, it will be good too.

I'm not convinced the sending e-mails requesting link exchanges is the best way to go about getting the sort of links that will count for much. Obviously the site must first be good enough for the good sites to want to link to it - the rest seems to rely on publicising the site. Hod should I do this?
January 26, 2008 11:00AM
GegaBit
Looks like we need another 'How To' thread then.
Will be my pleasure to answer your question there.
January 26, 2008 11:13AM
GegaBit
You are very right about:

Quote:
Obviously the site must first be good enough

That's the prerequisite to the whole discussion.
January 26, 2008 11:16AM
Pengi
Quote:
Looks like we need another 'How To' thread then.

Done that - wonderful response, thanks.

Do page descriptions help as well as page titles?
January 26, 2008 03:15PM
GegaBit
The jury is out on meta description, I personally use them only in my home page where it is important for other site owners crawling my home page to link to my site, as for the rest of the site, I have too many pages to be able to add a unique description for each page, at one point in history it was very in, then it became a nono when spammers started stuffing them with keywords, Google now ignores them, other search engines like Yahoo is said to use them.
January 26, 2008 04:21PM
Joshua
Administrator
My meta description is the same as my footer text for all pages of the site.

Google webmaster tools shows me I have a description 'problem'. Like GegaBit I don't intend to come up with an unique description for all pages.

Actually it is in an include file. So I can change it on the fly, but for all pages at once.
January 26, 2008 04:43PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.