Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Amazon Commision
I don't currently have any Amazon Ads or links on my site.

My site currently receives virtually zero traffic (~ 30 visits per week - and I suspect most/all of these are robots). I don't currently promote or develop the site.

No. 1 son has said he wants a Kindle for his birthday. It occured to me that maybe I could set up something on my site so that we could initiate the purchase through a link on the site and reclaim the commission.

Perhaps some of you guys could help with the following:
1) Does Amazon provide some sort of affiliate link that would allow me to do this?
If so:
2) Would it be legal/legitimate to use it in this way?
3) What sort of commision would be paid?
4) How easy is it to set it up?

The answers to 3) and 4) may mean it is not worth the trouble. If this is the case, whose site should I visit to initiate the purchase? (please form an orderly queue)
April 13, 2011 08:31PM
Joshua
Administrator
Subject: Re: Amazon Commision
We don't have Amazon here. So I'm not joining the queue.

I think electronics generally pay ~4% commission. Hardly worth the hassle for a one time purchase, bearing in mind you almost always need a minimum threshold for being paid.
April 13, 2011 09:23PM
Ian C. Purdie
Be careful here.

Amazon get touchy about these kinds of transactions. With almost zero impressions, no prior history and suddenly one sale, it would certainly trigger alarm bells in the audit software.

Do what I do when I rarely buy from Amazon, buy via Harold's site.
April 13, 2011 10:31PM
Harold
You would almost certainly run afoul of Amazon's "no personal orders" rule--which would not cause you to get booted, but would mean you would earn nothing.

If you could figure out a way around that rule, it still wouldn't do you much good--I believe that Amazon is paying full commission on the Kindles, but if the Kindle costs 100 quid, that would mean 5 quid in commission. And you don't get paid until you've earned 25.

So it would be great if as Ian suggested you would buy via my site! There are generic links to all the Amazons I belong to on this page:

[www.underdown.org]

And next time I'm in the West Country, the first round of zuider's on me.
April 14, 2011 04:20AM
Ian C. Purdie
If you actually decide to buy, do it through Harold's page.

He owes you a beer.
April 14, 2011 11:20AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.