Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Amazon Australia (via UK)
Just to pass this on--posted on the Amazon UK discussion boards:

Amazon UK offers free shipping to Australia. Maybe you should display one of these banners on your site:

[affiliate-program.amazon.co.uk]

So those of you in Oz have an interesting option here. I wonder how Amazon does it? I'm thinking ship in bulk to a satellite operation and then on from there.
April 13, 2011 01:21PM
Ian C. Purdie
Subject: Re: Amazon Australia (via UK)
Nah! My % of traffic from OZ is about the same as everyone else here.

Interestingly, OZ's Angus and Robertson as well as Borders were taken over by the "Corporate Vampires". Damon would know the right words, not venture capitalists but something else. More sinister?

They fell flat on their faces and both companies are now in "Receivership".

Ian cheers loudly from the sidelines.
April 13, 2011 02:25PM
DamonHD
Ian,

I think you may mean "private equity". Was easy in the boom times.

I used to sit close to Guy Hands whose PE company just had to let EMI go at a loss of 2/3rds of his private wealth...

Rgds

Damon
April 13, 2011 06:39PM
Ian C. Purdie
Yep PE. Buy up companies, flog assets off, strip money out, put people out of work and re-list the down sized version on the stock exchange.
April 13, 2011 10:36PM
DamonHD
Sometimes PE was the right thing to do to a sclerotic lazy company sitting on under-used assets... Sometimes...

Rgds

Damon
April 13, 2011 10:43PM
Ian C. Purdie
Well in the late 1960s a local factory across the road from me suffered that fate. It was only listed on the stock exchange because back then publicly listed companies enjoyed better tax regulations as opposed to private companies.

The business had been established in the early 1920's by two fellows who returned from WW1 and used a war loan to get established.

It grew and grew. They virtually manufactured every commercial kitchen in the state and elsewhere. Both the old fellows fell off the perch eventually and left the bulk of the shares in the company to the kids.

The vultures moved in with a takeover offer marginally better than market price.

They immediately put 120 local people out of work, did untold damage to other local suppliers, sold the factory off for about 1,000 X book value and left everyone using their kitchens without any backup maintenance.

Flamboyant stockbrokers and merchant bankers who never raised a sweat in their lives profited handsomely.

Pity about the carnage they left behind. All "real" workers.
April 13, 2011 11:13PM
DamonHD
Yes, that won't be one of the "good" cases, by the sound of it.

I think even in finance, M&A (Mergers and Acquisitions) and PE are looked on as somewhat toxic, usually. But I don't trade and never have so what do I know?

Rgds

Damon
April 14, 2011 10:11AM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
"M&A (Mergers and Acquisitions)
Far out.

On tonight's "Who want to be a Millionaire HOT Seat", a question was:

"M&A means mergers and... [four choices]

The candidate [about 25 and doing "Law, Arts and Economics"] simply laughed and said:

"Believe it or not, yesterday afternoon I attended a lecture on "Mergers and Acquisitions".

Totally blew me away.

Two questions later he fell over a general knowledge question where age wasn't a factor. Up until then I thought: "Gee, this kid is good".

Love tough quiz shows. Truthfully, I fell over tonight over some pop-star question.

Thanks Damon, made my day.
April 14, 2011 11:10AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.