Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Why no Australian Amazon?
Posting this for anyone who wants to answer--Ian, are you online?--someone asked on another board why there isn't an Australian Amazon.

I've got no idea. Any theories?
December 02, 2009 04:02PM
Joshua
Administrator
Subject: Re: Why no Australian Amazon?
Or all the other countries where it isn't available for that matter.

One of my theories here is that it's pretty hard to get past some established sites. E-bay tried to beat our 'Marktplaats.nl'. It hopelessly failed. In the end they just bought it for a pretty large sum.
December 02, 2009 04:57PM
Harold
Joshua, that's exactly it. Is there some existing online retailer in Australia? Otherwise maybe it's population (22 million).

English-language countries would seem to be the easiest to move into, in some ways, so it's interesting that they are in France and Germany but NOT Australia--but of oourse they have larger populations (and are denser, meaning lower shipping costs?).
December 02, 2009 05:01PM
DamonHD
I think that actually fairly uniform rules across the EU (the "Distance Selling" directive, I think) means that once you're in one EU country, ie the UK, moving sideways may be relatively easy... Almost but not quite as easy as moving/selling across states in the US I guess.

Rgds

Damon
December 02, 2009 06:55PM
Harold
That's interesting, Damon. So moving to two other EU countries, even with the language difference, would be easier than going to a non-EU country...
December 02, 2009 07:21PM
Ian C. Purdie
Off at another political Christmas Party again last night.

Several reasons I'd imagine.

a) Small population
b) Large distances where freight can be a killer
c) Bricks and mortar competitors who also operate online
d) Labour costs which would kill Amazon

Interestingly, with c) Dymocks here advertise on Amazon when visitors arrive from OZ. Never made comparisons.

As far as labour costs go I recollect reading a story years ago about UK wages and conditions for Amazon employees. They would never get away with it here.

Without being precise, casual shop assistants are paid $A 20.00 an hour. That's roughly $US 18.00 and UK 11.00

Working conditions and entitlements would likely be considerably different from what I've read of elsewhere.

Amazon is also anti-union I believe, so they would be an obvious target for unions.

All in all I doubt if it would be remotely feasible.
December 02, 2009 08:19PM
Harold
Thanks, Ian! The labor conditions factor must be a crucial one--the US provides few in the way of protections and very low wage minimums.
December 02, 2009 08:44PM
Ian C. Purdie
Yes so I believe. All states and the commonwealth have protective legislation.

I posted elsewhere that idiot Abbott wants to go back to attacking working conditions Sheez that's one of the main reasons why they got booted out of office in 2007

This is from an Australian Catholic who should rightly be committed to "social justice"...
Quote:
TONY ABBOTT has defiantly flagged the reintroduction of individual workplace agreements and given notice the Coalition will oppose the Rudd Government's next big reform - the federal takeover of public hospitals.

[www.smh.com.au]

The "frigwit" really does live in the 19th century.

That article must have Liberal MP's spewing their corn flakes out this morning.
December 02, 2009 08:55PM
DamonHD
H: the European 'Single Market' stuff is *meant* to make it easy to sell across borders from any EU member state (eg the one with the most suitable environment) so for example Google Ad{Words|Sense} is based in Ireland and then cross-border sales are free of VAT as well as Google paying less payroll and other taxes on its operations in Ireland.

The UK is a comparatively low-tax low-red-tape law-abiding economy in the EU (setting up actual offices and hiring staff in France and Germany for example can be an eye-popping expensive Kafkaesque nightmare from my second-hand experience), so the clever thing may continue to be use Ireland or the UK as a base for as much as possible in the EU that doesn't need physical action, with minimal staff and taxable property in more ... um ... awkward and often ... um ... EU-law-flouting states.

Kinda like incorporating in Delaware and then drop-shipping elsewhere from 3rd-party warehouses or something... I've had one-too-many beers to think it through. %^>

Rgds

Damon
December 02, 2009 08:56PM
Khensu
Shipping costs?

I can see it now, all the jimmys with Ipods just tooling around and a kindle in their pouches.
December 04, 2009 08:08PM
Ian C. Purdie
Jimmy's?

You don't mean "Skippys" by any chance? Also the name applied by ethnics of middle eastern origin to refer to natural born Australians.
December 04, 2009 08:19PM
Pengi
Joey's?
December 05, 2009 10:23AM
Ian C. Purdie
Heh! When I was a kid everyone wanted a Joey.

Parents knew Joeys grew up to be monsters, particularly males. I've seen and experienced grown male Kangaroos insert themselves between a group of boys and girls and ward off the boys.

Very dangerous situation.
December 05, 2009 09:08PM
Khensu
OK

Joey and his cousin Jimmy.

That brings a new meaning to, "touch this girl and I'll kick your ass".
December 07, 2009 08:14PM
Khensu
You mean Skippers?

Those are femaleish poofters in US lingo.
December 07, 2009 08:16PM
Troi
Do they where peaked caps and shout "ahoy there???"
December 08, 2009 06:33PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.