Subject: Re: Troll on Amazon Associate Boards
But that doesn't mean that you're not all out to get him. B^>

Rgds

Damon
August 01, 2009 08:15PM
Harold
:: Quote ::
Quite true--I keep reporting his posts, and they keep getting deleted!
August 01, 2009 10:00PM
Harold
And, interestingly enough, they are getting deleted on a SATURDAY! They are taking this a bit more seriously. I just went and check and most of the ones I saw and reported only a couple of hours ago are gone....

Added--and an email response from Amazon that they are "actively monitoring all new posts."

Vigilance is the eternal price of freedom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2009 10:12PM by Harold.
August 01, 2009 10:09PM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
But that doesn't mean that you're not all out to get him
Perfectly true and with very good reasons.

a) Some of his posts, especially to women go far beyond downright disgusting.

b) Posts to newcomers are often deliberately misleading.

c) On the whole, his posts over recent months simply are disruptive and intended to cause annoyance, inconvenience and worst of all, discourage genuine contributors.

I was greatly surprised a while back when an old time poster returned after many years of absence and said words to the effect "same old rubbish from the same serial pest".
August 01, 2009 10:12PM
Harold
Well, we had three solid months of peace, but guess who's back?
November 05, 2009 09:15PM
Ian C. Purdie
Glad I'm not there.

Apart from Wes, I was just sick and tired of the same old questions over and over as well as questions about Carousels, Widget etc. all of which I find pointless.

I'm dedicated to the KISS principle.

I think the new gizmo's work well for Amazon and their branding but I doubt they add very much for newcomers.

One thing I WILL give Wes. I think he's right about 24 hour cookies. Back in June something proved to me and others that not all is Kosher. I had a handful of sales backed out for June but my 100% increase continued throughout early July and suddenly went back to normal. None were backed out.

I'm fairly certain that technically, 50+% of our sales are under-reported. You can't have a sudden spike across so many people. Whatever was broken got fixed.

BUT - I can't prove that. Neither can he unfortunately.
November 05, 2009 09:28PM
Harold
I just ignore the stuff about widgets.

There have been some useful discussions. Just recently, someone noticed that Amazon was pushing some tools related to Social Networking. I'm not sure how I could use them, and I'm guessing you won't be interested, but I wouldn't hear about stuff like that if I wasn't there.

Interesting that Wes was away for 90 days. The length of a ban, or something else?
November 05, 2009 10:42PM
Harold
And the under-reporting? Here's the thing. I hear from time to time from people who've made orders through my site. Invariably, I've found those orders. If Amazon is only crediting some orders due to a defect in the 24-hour cookie, wouldn't I have heard from someone who made an order, and not been able to find it in my reports?
November 05, 2009 10:44PM
Ian C. Purdie
Dunno about Wes. Could be.

I rarely hear from people who buy. I know for certain I had a spike in sales in June, a small number were backed out but the conversion rate continued at an unprecedented level until about mid July and then went back to the old average.

No spike in traffic, no spike in AdSense or other affiliate sales and all products ordered were across the usual stuff I offer links to.

Enough to convince me something is not right. I suspect someone fixed something [software] and then on investigation of the increasing sales being credited to associates, someone went back and put it the way it was formerly.

No other explanation and if you follow the old thread Wes was saying something like - "I've been telling everyone this for years".

Had it not personally happened to me I wouldn't have believed it. Remember back in July I wrote to you and others asking you whether you were experiencing a spike?

Believing and proving something are two entirely different things.
November 05, 2009 11:27PM
Harold
Well, I can accept you had a funny spike--which was NOT associated with the product preview glitch?--but I didn't.

In any case I'm not going to give credit to Wes for anything. I don't remember him saying something along those lines before, and even if he had been, well, he has accused Amazon of so many things over the years that like the monkeys and the typewriters he was bound to get something right eventually. If he did get this right.

I had my best Amazon month ever in September, so I can't say that I see any problems.
November 06, 2009 03:59AM
Ian C. Purdie
To be fair, taking out the stupid manic parts, he's a very astute and a very competent fellow technically.

That's going back to the olden original days of the board.

I forgot the "product preview tool" being part of it. A key?

Trust me, Wes is not and, has never has been, an uneducated fool. Just a bigger pain in the arse than I am. More paranoid than me if that's possible.

Technically, with internet/browser/etc issues he could eat you and I alive.

For that I admire him, for all else I'd happily punch his head in. He hates Australians, mainly because we think most Americans are up themselves. Meanwhile, every cricket country knows for certain we definitely are.

Quid pro quo
November 06, 2009 06:25AM
Harold
Yes, he knows a lot technically, far more than I do. Which is why I find what happened with him sad as well as annoying.
November 06, 2009 04:21PM
Harold
They seem to have shut him out again--either that or he's been very cautious.
November 17, 2009 06:51PM
Ian C. Purdie
Oh well, either way I'm not missing anything.

Think about this for a minute.

What new valuable piece of information have you personally learnt the in say, the last five years?

I can't think of a damn thing. Not one thing. Back in 2002 things were much better. But for years and years it's been a constant repetition of the very same questions.
November 17, 2009 07:37PM
Joshua
Administrator
If there's nothing new to talk about you can as well start discussing dishwashers, ducks and domino winking smiley.
November 17, 2009 07:54PM
Harold
Ian, I've picked up a good bit of stuff there. Just over the past year, information about the Kindle Edition commissions being axed, the issue with the product preview script... other stuff I've forgotten. As far as I am concerned, it's worth being involved. Farther back, it was there I learned about AdSense, there I picked up a tip for a place to put some ads that has been paying off ever since.

Even when Wes is active it's the only place I've found where there are a lot of other Associates, with different points of view and different kinds of sites.
November 17, 2009 08:04PM
Harold
Which isn't to say that there is a great sense of community there, or that the board software is state of the art!
November 17, 2009 08:05PM
DamonHD
Great save, H!

Rgds

Damon
November 17, 2009 08:13PM
Harold
Thanks--there are a lot of other things lacking at the Amazon boards, of course. Notably the fact that Amazon doesn't bother to do any support to speak of, so that we keep getting the same questions over and over.

In spite of all that, I've picked up some gold among the chaff.
November 17, 2009 08:23PM
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.