Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Evil trick of the day (for Ian)
I noticed that the battery voltage on my nightlight, now running since mid-December on a single charge, was down to 4.52V (from a nominal 4.8V for 4xNiMH AAA cells), so decided to give it a quick charge from my off-grid system this evening, which is full to the top from a couple of days of good sun.

The charger is configured as a dump load, so will only come on when the SLA voltage is fairly high (around float voltage) and when I got back at dusk it was below that (but well above the lower/LVD threshold).

Evil trick of the day: I put my mobile next to the dump-load circuit and called it from the land-line for not even a full ring. The RF noise induced was enough to turn the dump on and the NiMH cells are now charging merrily! %-P

Rgds

Damon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2011 07:05PM by DamonHD.
March 08, 2011 07:04PM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
Subject: Re: Evil trick of the day (for Ian)
Presumably if you placed a game controller ( PS3 or WII ) next to it and just tapped a button it would have done the same ..

Begs the question though ..is W.Heath Robinson in your family tree ? ;-p
March 08, 2011 07:39PM
DamonHD
Nah, way too sophisticated and subtle for me. But I did read all his cartoon/picture books as a kid!

Rgds

Damon
March 08, 2011 08:05PM
Ian C. Purdie
Ah! Damon, you put me in mind of a 1960's world wide Amateur Radio scene called "Hints and Kinks".

American but, widely published to good effect. I'll pass along your effect to my list. We all share.

In that vein, I've learned in recent years from my own electronics list:

One example:

While I've had great success resurrecting CD, DVD players by swabbing off "alleged" nicotine contamination by washing Laser lenses with Isotropic Alcohol, the real problem actually is "crappy cheap plastic" lenses from original manufacturers.

The list goes on, I immediately forget most [how unusual] the 1,001 other current things, but many things can be resurrected. I do it all the time to an appreciative audience.

Does absolutely nothing for my 69 year old sex life among local senior female citizens.

Oh well. {Local in joke)
March 10, 2011 07:13AM
aa8vs
Subject: Evil trick of the day (for Ian amusement
Hey Ian, doesn't that Isotropic Alcohol leave a rash if you use to much??? Definately not a time to smoke either mate.
March 19, 2011 03:26AM
Ian C. Purdie
Yeah.

Ask for Isotopic alcohol at the local pharmacy and they have to report you to the "Terrorism" Squad.

No shit it's that stupid in Australia
March 19, 2011 02:13PM
James
Quote:
While I've had great success resurrecting CD, DVD players by swabbing off "alleged" nicotine contamination by washing Laser lenses with Isotropic Alcohol, the real problem actually is "crappy cheap plastic" lenses from original manufacturers.

When I serviced electronics we used to clean laser lenses a lot. Sony told us we had to use their special prorietary cleaning fluid as there was a coating on the lens that alcohol would strip off. We actually used to use meths if it was caked on really hard, or just huff it and buff it with a cotton bud if not. Worked most of the time. I actually think you could have used pretty much anything on them that shifted crud - clean washing up water would probably suffice!
March 21, 2011 07:51AM
Ian C. Purdie
James, in those circumstances I still use meths.

On my own forum, which Damon recently joined and, makes a valuable contribution, are a number of "real" scientists.

One fellow remarked a few years back, the exact symptoms your refer to James.

"It's not so much the junk on the lens, it's the crappy manufacture of the lens themselves. With time they craze. [hope that technically translates].

Yep, the scientists will tell you how far the penny pinching goes. Cost of a laser lens? Maybe $0.0001 each but, beaten down by some crowd who tender [what you pay for is what you get] $0.00009

While not directly related to lens, those aren't imaginary figures I've made up. Those are figures quoted to me from my mate who's home built helicopter dropped out of the sky nearly two years back. [For alert readers]

Think about it James.
March 21, 2011 10:16AM
Ian C. Purdie
As an addendum James, consider joining my forum.

BTW Damon, who has joined, in your short period on the list none of the scientist's have yet contributed.
March 21, 2011 10:39AM
DamonHD
No, it seems to have wandered away from reality and into personal hurt for the moment, so I'm keeping my head down until I have something useful to say again! B^>

Rgds

Damon
March 21, 2011 12:52PM
Joshua
Administrator
Ian,

Care to share the URL to your forum?
March 21, 2011 07:49PM
James
I'd like to join, but will probably be mostly a lurker. Not sure the brain is up to intelligent thought at the moment.
March 21, 2011 08:13PM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
Care to share the URL to your forum?
Send an email to:

electronics-qa-subscribe@electronics-tutorials.com
March 21, 2011 09:37PM
Joshua
Administrator
Ah, I think I understand now. Maybe it's my lack of knowing the English language properly. But are you referring to an e-mail list as being an forum and not something like P-W (accessible through an URL).
March 21, 2011 10:26PM
Ian C. Purdie
Yep, it's an email list. We tried the other way about ten or so years ago and it didn't work very well. About two years ago I resurrected the idea again along the lines of the Amazon Associates forum but it also didn't take off so I left it alone.
March 22, 2011 12:38AM
DamonHD
Don't worry J, I hadn't cottoned on either until Ian told me that he'd manually subscribed me. Old Skool, but it seems to work!

Rgds

Damon
March 22, 2011 08:23PM
Ian C. Purdie
They come up with some amazing things at times. Useful tips and tools.

One I'm ever thankful for is "Hirem Boot CD". A collection of tools I've resurrected HD's with. Hard to use though. Worthwhile downloading and burning a CD.

I think there's a version for bootable USB as well.

If there are instructions for using it I'd include them on the boot drive if I ever did it over again.
March 23, 2011 08:04PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.