Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: AWS (Amazon Web Services)
Hi,

I've set up an AWS account today to try to deploy one or more Web sites of varying complexity into the 'cloud'.

(The nudge to finally do it is interest from The Register in a cloud piece, which I'm working on right now as I try to get things set up.)

Looks like it might actually be (a) fun and (b) if I do it right much easier to manage and cheaper than my existing set-up in some ways.

I'll keep you posted!

Rgds

Damon
March 04, 2011 01:23PM
Ian C. Purdie
Subject: Re: AWS (Amazon Web Services)
Heh! Been there done that. Invested a huge amount of time into it way back when in 2002 and it was simply easier to produce a tutorial so others could get on board with me.

The end result? None of us reported greater sales than before. A real fizzer...

The original tutorial:

[www.electronics-tutorials.com]

It of course no longer works. I don't know if Harold remembers those days.
March 04, 2011 10:31PM
Harold
Ian, I don't remember those days, if only because I never made any use of AWS. I am mister DIY text link himself. And 50% up this Feb. over last Feb. with Amazon, so feeling rather pleased with myself. And that's having posted only two new reviews in several months.
March 04, 2011 11:33PM
Ian C. Purdie
Pleasing news about your progress Harold. Mine goes up and down but clearly, after all these many years, there are folks who deliberately use my links into Amazon and buy all this weird stuff.

A few days back someone bought all the bits and pieces to resurrect a Hoover vacuum cleaner from Amazon USA. The kind of junk I'd buy in resurrecting something. Didn't know Americans were into Hoover.

I can well understand one of my acolytes buying "bits and pieces", that's what I preach on my forums, recycling and yes sometimes for very practical reasons you need "new" replacement parts.

Anyhoo Harold, weren't you around on the Amazon Discussion Boards back in 2002? I honestly can't remember until you came along as a decent person with sensible views.
March 05, 2011 05:07AM
DamonHD
Well, I got a simple dynamic site up in the cloud in a few hours, including a couple of mis-steps, which got me to the first phase of my objectives. But it relied on the 'magic' integration between the Eclipse IDE and the AWS back-end, hiding all the details, but I like to see the cogs turning.

In particular if I put my large site into AWS, most of it will still run outside, and I'm not turning the whole thing on its head to suit AWS. It would be like developing for M$!

Rgds

Damon

PS. I'm taking advantage of AWS's "free tier" at the moment, so none of this has cost a penny yet...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2011 09:23AM by DamonHD.
March 05, 2011 09:22AM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
"which got me to the first phase of my objectives"
Please explain mate, if we can, without boring other folks to death with our sometimes arcane exchanges.

After all these many years, I'm still yet to be convinced of the efficacy of Amazon's alleged technology.

In particular, you mention,
Quote:
"I'm taking advantage of AWS's "free tier" at the moment"
Again, after years, I'm yet to be convinced the whole Bizzo isn't Jeff Bezos sop to what he didn't do yonks ago [I relate to that].

I come from far back with Amazon from when Jeff wrote you personally an email of welcome and you could actually ask him questions. He was probably still working out of a shed then.
March 05, 2011 10:41AM
Harold
Ian, yes, I joined Amazon in 2001 and I was on the boards from the beginning. But any discussion about AWS would have gone right over my head, and so I wouldn't remember it.

Remember the days of the 15% direct link bonus?
March 05, 2011 04:07PM
DamonHD
I am no sort of fanboi of buzzword-compliant technologies like "the cloud" for their own sakes, but for me this might let me run my big Java site more efficiently on shared resources and with some nice tricks like auto-scaling (bringing up more machines automatically if I get popular overnight).

My stuff is heavyweight enough that it normally requires a whole dedicated machine that costs me hundreds of dollars per month for each mirror.

With this cloud tech I might be down to tens of dollars.

I might even start to *gasp* make a profit out of my publishing.

And if I integrated even more tightly to use the AWS content-delivery network for some of my stuff then performance as seen by users might improve significantly too.

Rgds

Damon
March 05, 2011 04:46PM
Harold
Damon, you lost me at the right turn by the petrol station...
March 05, 2011 09:06PM
DamonHD
*Gas* station, m8!
March 05, 2011 09:53PM
Harold
No wonder I got lost.
March 05, 2011 11:01PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.