Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Not easy being green!
I ordered some more loft insulation (rockwool) to top up what we have in our loft (marginally below current building regs in places I believe).

After many calls back and forth, on Thursday I made a firm arrangement with the supplier for the 10 rolls of rockwool to be delivered today, when I am home all day.

Except that it turned up yesterday when I was still in my pyjamas. Cue frantic scramble into clothes, then an hour's worth of heaving to get it under cover (most of it actually up in the loft) since we're forecast a lot of rain and I still had to get to my client in central London!

Rgds

Damon

PS. Just after writing this I then had a call saying they were having difficulty making my delivery this morning. I had to point out that was maybe because they'd already made it. The guy was mystified but apologetic!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 09:40PM by DamonHD.
February 26, 2011 10:23AM
Ian C. Purdie
Subject: Re: Not easy being green!
Ah we all have those kind of days.
February 26, 2011 07:58PM
aa8vs
We've had those days DamonHD, I got a delivery of some parts and for the next two days they kept wanting to come out and make the delivery. I got to thinking about lots of spares, alas they figured it out. :-(
March 19, 2011 03:30AM
Ian C. Purdie
Chuck?

How come you have them days?

I know his signature anywhere. Tell us the joke about Bob, Myrtle and I love you.

For Damon alone: Chuck is is one of those Engineers [Ginger Beers] who consults for GM world wide and actually thinks Australians are geniuses. I told you about the list didn't I?

Don't worry about it Chuck, Damon is big in "Alternative Energy". Maybe Damon can run your next generation of cars?

Tha joke mate, cough up, "Bob, Myrtle and I love you" was an SOC joke not yours. Sorry. Can't think of the last one you sent.

Engineers and scientists carry on like children.

THA SOC JOKE?

From Jim / W1FMR

Err we're all fixated on Amateur Radio, the common denominator.

JOKE

Bob and Myrtle are sitting on the verandah one afternoon and Bob's drinking beer.

At some point in time, Bob exclaims: "I love you so much"

Whereupon Myrtle immediately responds:

"Is that you or the beer talking"

Bob replies: "It's me talking and I'm talking to the beer"

Boom, boom.

Back to Chuck, we're now playing Grand-Dads and picking kids up from school?

Marvellous. Wait 'til that little bundle of joy reaches 14 years of age.

Been there done that and those two twin twerps turn 14 tomorrow.

Wanna swap? Their very experienced and lovely grand-mother, Carolyn is pulling her hair out.

Literally.

CUL Time for bed in Oz at, at nearly 01:00 LT

I can't believe it.
March 19, 2011 02:56PM
DamonHD
Hi,

I've just finished this write-up of a DIY thermal survey and then getting a professional double-check (someone here at GBF) of my handiwork:

[www.earth.org.uk]

The pictures are at least quite pretty!

I think that the minimum to take from this is if DIYing give yourself a day to learn how to use the equipment properly and don't rely on point-and-shoot being enough to find the more subtle issues.

Rgds

Damon
March 28, 2011 08:35PM
DamonHD
More delivery / project-management annoyance.

Aerogel drylining for the kids' bedrooms was meant to start today (the entire outer wall for one room, partial for the adjacent room).

Not wanting to be neurotic, but with an eye to how things can slip, I was pre-emptively chasing builders and delivery from early this morning.

The builder had entirely forgotten, but managed to re-arrange everything to start tomorrow.

The delivery people said everything was fine until about 16:30 when they confessed that ... actually would tomorrow at 10am would be OK? I won't be here, so I had to make sure that the builders would be here to manhandle the stuff, delicately...

Then I get a call asking me if I can change the delivery time again. I refused on the grounds that I now couldn't easily guarantee anyone would actually be around other than at 10am. So that's how it's staying for now. Except that the delivery is in a 45ft lorry that may have some difficulty getting closer than a couple of streets from us.

I shall see how it all unravels from the other side of town at my client's office! %-P

Rgds

Damon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2011 06:57PM by DamonHD.
October 03, 2011 06:57PM
Pengi
Good luck! Project Management - fun ain't it!
October 03, 2011 08:22PM
DamonHD
Um, kinda.

Better than not doing it at all and then whining when things don't happen perfectly ... I think!

Rgds

Damon
October 03, 2011 09:13PM
James
Quote:
Except that the delivery is in a 45ft lorry that may have some difficulty getting closer than a couple of streets from us.

Just hope they don't come up with some Elf-n-safety reason for not delivering if it's that far away from the drop.
October 05, 2011 07:47AM
DamonHD
In the end it got delivered and most of it got put in yesterday. Some finishing to do, then prime, bond, plaster, prime, paint...

Old Elfin and his safe mate stayed away.

Rgds

Damon
October 05, 2011 11:02AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.