Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: "Cloud" Web services
Hi,

After going to FOSDEM I'm thinking of moving some Web sites to the 'cloud', not just by renting space on a Web host somewhere, but by using the Amazon services to provide the ability to move hosts transparently if something fails, or bring up more mirrors if I get SlashDotted, etc.

Has anyone used the Amazon EC services (and the elastic storage behind it)?

Rgds

Damon
February 16, 2011 09:06AM
Ian C. Purdie
Subject: Re: "Cloud" Web services
Damon my good friend, you speak sixteen [I'm always binary] above my level of thinking in this matter.

Congratulations on your report in "The Register" over your report on FOSDEM.

Curiously, only one thing really attracted my attention amid your highly technical post.

Keywords!

a) 'cloud'
b) Amazon EC services

Weren't they the "clowns" who first stuck the knife into my fellow Australian, Julian Assange" of WikiLeaks? Followed by every other "let's follow America" corporation?

Damon, sorry to have stolen "your thunder" over an important announcement [yes, I read the Register article] for yourself.

[QUESTION IN MY MIND]

Doing some mental gymnastics, a trip to Belgium is the same as me, at my $2.50 pensioner trip by train to Sydney [115 Kms away]?

Who paid? Your employer? Yourself?

I loved the "long haired stuff", I can only imagine.

I would have given [back then in 1960's} the drugs a wide swerve and fanged all the wimmin.

True

I did.
February 16, 2011 10:45AM
DamonHD
Amazon were well down the list of people leant on by the US to stop supplying services to Assange. Can't really hold them responsible for that I think.

A weekend trip to Brussels is 2h each way on Eurostar and including hotel was about £200. My company paid and will indeed make a small profit out of it once elReg coughs up.

Rgds

Damon
February 16, 2011 12:05PM
aa8vs
Hey guys is that cloud similar to the 'skydrive' where I have a series of things stored???
March 19, 2011 03:32AM
Pengi
I would imagine so - I haven't heard of the term "skydrive" myself (and I'm not a cloud user either) but I'm sure one of our experts here will confirm or correct shortly.
March 19, 2011 11:13AM
DamonHD
BTW, my first Reg cloud piece went up yesterday (after over a week with the subs!):

[www.theregister.co.uk]

Rgds

Damon
March 19, 2011 11:51AM
Ian C. Purdie
HoKay, I have an announcement as well.

My 45 year old step-son who is no mug BTW, asked his mother if I would assist him in his latest academic endeavour. He never asks me directly but whatever.

He's not mine but, I'm proud of him. Twenty eight years ago he was a "loser".

Now?

Anyhoo he's received a temporary promotion PROVIDED he qualifies in XYZ within 12 months at college.

He's for once has kind of met a "brick wall" and needs Daddy's help. I've no problems with that at all BUT it might freak most of us here right out.

It has to do with Mining Sites, GPS and a cunning little computer programme which plots every bloody thing down to less than 1 mm.

It's the last bit which is the problem. I said to Carolyn:

"The only way I can be of help is to do the course in parallel with him".

Yes I need to do that. Google "Raster Logic" for starters.

At my age I need this like I need a hole in the head. He left me his gummint laptop and I made a dog's breakfast of that. I copied his course CD, no problems. I tried to copy his companion programme from the gummint laptop to a USB drive.

It went for about two hours and erased the USB with no data at all. On my PC it now says "reformat drive".

So to me "Cloud" is a walk in the park.

Just more technology again I don't need to learn.
March 19, 2011 02:08PM
DamonHD
It really isn't a panacea, but if for me it might halve my hosting bill, that would be quite good enough! %-P

Rgds

Damon
March 19, 2011 09:23PM
DamonHD
Next piece on the cloud:

[www.theregister.co.uk]

Interesting also that AWS has been having lots of problems over the last day or so.

Rgds

Damon
April 23, 2011 07:54PM
Harold
You're not kidding! I use Hootsuite, a Twitter enabler, and it was completely down for more than a day, as it relies on the Amazon cloud. A couple of other sites I use turn out to have outsourced some of their functions there, and THEY are still struggling.
April 24, 2011 01:13AM
DamonHD
And I wouldn't be putting all of my eggs in one AWS basket: I'd probably keep my primary servers/mirrors on dedicated machines for various reasons. So I might be hurt but not vanish in a repeat.

Rgds

Damon
April 24, 2011 09:17AM
DamonHD
Managed to get the AWS instance running nice and stable after a few iterations, and today I have a Singapore virtual private server (VPS) up and running much like my non-cloudy servers.

Rgds

Damon
May 08, 2011 08:29PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.