Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Breach of Copyright
You wouldn't believe this coming from Ibra College of Technology, Sultanate of Oman. I emailed them this:
Quote:
Your page:
[www.ict.edu.om]

Is in flagrant breach of my copyright for the page:

[www.electronics-tutorials.com]

Please read this page most carefully:

In particular:

"Everything is copyright and, beyond the definition of "fair use" I will prosecute both civil and criminal proceedings for abuse of my rights. At the moment I regard each page on this site to have a commercial value of $US 10,000.00 per day of breach."

Thanks you

Ian C. Purdie
Budgewoi N.S.W. Australia
October 17, 2010 01:39AM
Ian C. Purdie
Subject: Re: Breach of Copyright
Doing a cunning Google search that infringing page was posted - 30 Nov 2005.

[www.google.com.au]

Third listing down.
October 17, 2010 01:50AM
Ian C. Purdie
Run this Google search:

[www.google.com.au]

Yes, I have already written to an Intellectual Property lawyer in Oman.

With what result? We shall see.
October 17, 2010 02:27AM
GegaBit
This is most probably an idiotic student blind copy and paste of the whole page including internal links disclaimer and navigation.

The good news is that as an educational organization with no scraping intent and they will effortlessly take down your content and apologize, I only wish my thieves were so well defined.

The bad news is that you should have detected it 5 years ago if you were monitoring the referrer sites in your statistics, but I'm sure you've learnt your lesson.

You can of course pursue the lawyer route if your intent is money, but you quickly need to document and notarize their web page, yours and the search results.

If all you want is to take down the page then put down the lawyer, step back slowly and relax.
October 17, 2010 12:42PM
Harold
Good points, GB. Systematic and regular monitoring is key if this is a problem for a site.
October 17, 2010 11:48PM
Ian C. Purdie
Well I will answer those points at a later date.

But for the minute, the short answer? Ever seen my logs? One month, just one month, exceeds the whole of my sites storage.

Referrers? Not something you scan in a few minutes, it runs into the nearly 50,000's+ per month.

Keywords/Phrases? Runs into nearly 30,000 a month.

I'm going to sift through this? Get real [see two paragraphs down]

Even with the much reduced Google Analytics, I am overwhelmed with information. No human being can read all this without their eyes glazing over.

Don't forget, this is not, never has been, nor will be a business. It is an intellectual hobby. Just so happens to have funded my retirement in ways I never previously imagined.

Now I have had copyright theft before. We all have.

BUT never before from a department of a government organisation.

NASA, the US military and others have previously made written agreements with me. They and many other academic institutions are totally free to print off the "ad-free" version gratis, provided copyright etc. is retained.

This I believe is totally different. I don't for one second think of anything sinister, smart or whatever, just plain unvarnished stupidity.

Why the "hue and cry"?

Want to know how many "patentees" I personally know world wide, the complexity involved if you don't REACT when infringement is drawn to your attention?

The fellow who developed the "heads up display" on cars, originally many years ago for the FA-16 fighter and a good friend of mine is a rigid proponent of "go on the attack" when commercial or government interests steal your intellectual property. Believe me, he is a walking encyclopaedia on the topic.

I could write a thesis on this and remember most of my peer group are academics.

In any event, for better or worse, the matter has now been raised at a government to government level.

With what result?

Money? Dunno. Do I care? Dunno. I'm simply following a RIGID protocol suggested by many innovators over many years. Sadly most now deceased.

Right? Dunno.
Wrong? Dunno.

Government to government? My position in the community, I actually expect no less support.

FYI, FWIW, YMMV.

I live in a different world to most other people.

Sadly Mike, I can't say it was ever a Psychedelic
experience. That was too boring back in the 60', just got "missed" if you get my drift. Too many girls for me to be distracted by "drugs and rock and roll"

BTW: Mike is wholly entitled to call me a hypocrite when he correctly chided me recently over my "hot-linking" the NYT cartoon. The difference is the "degree".
October 18, 2010 12:33PM
DamonHD
Ian: my first guess is, given the incompetent failure to strip out links etc if it was a real attempt at theft, more like a naif cut-n-paste job by someone young and/or stupid.

It's at a uni you say. Hmm.

So I'd just write a polite (but firm) note to the head of department and ask them to have it and any similar material taken down.

Only if they don't take you seriously, which I think is unlikely but not impossible, think about stronger measures.

But you are likely to be fighting an organ of the not-very-enlightened state, and might get nowhere at all and a nasty diplomatic incident to boot.

IMHO

Rgds

Damon
October 18, 2010 01:41PM
Harold
Ian, here's the thing. If you can't possibly keep up with this problem, then don't. Just ignore it. Very unlikely that that copy is hurting your site in any practical way.

If you can't live with sites like that, then spend some time every day on search and destroy missions.

But intermittent monitoring? Mate, it just stresses you out.

So ignore it, or do something simple like Google Alerts on key, unique phrases in your site.
October 21, 2010 04:55AM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
do something simple like Google Alerts on key, unique phrases in your site
Been doing that for years.

I'm just pissed off this time it is an academic institution and I'm out for blood.

I have 1,000's of private sites which copy my work and when I know about it, they get a nasty email.

[ADDED] This is NOT an example of some boofhead student putting up junk on his space on the Uni's site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 05:39AM by Ian C. Purdie.
October 21, 2010 05:36AM
Joshua
Administrator
Just found a copy of my site at example.com
I'll write him a 'friendly' email. I found out by looking at 'hosts' in my Analytics account. I'm sure this is some 'boofhead' not knowing what is allowed and what's not.

[edit]Removed web address as it no longer shows a copy of my site and I don't want to promote whatever he's doing in any way[/edit]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 10:25PM by Joshua.
October 31, 2010 03:36PM
GegaBit
blatant thief
isn't his site showing in your stats
cuz I see he copped it as is, he should appear there

both of you let us know when your content is removed
I just sent another dmca to burst.net on one of those
nothing gets my blood boiling more!
October 31, 2010 05:18PM
Joshua
Administrator
I found out because of my analytics stats. I rarely look at raw logs.

I cc'd the host of my copying 'friend' the email I wrote (a take down notice) and got back a ticket number with the message they'll look at it during working hours.
October 31, 2010 05:35PM
Joshua
Administrator
Content is removed. Wow that took long winking smiley.
October 31, 2010 07:07PM
Joshua
Administrator
It seems my 'friend' is hasty putting something else in there. Maybe afraid of the 'friendly' email. I don't know. I do know I took a snapshot from earlier today :-).
October 31, 2010 10:14PM
Joshua
Administrator
Now what do you think about this one:

[picsdigger.com]

Especially look at what the link is doing when you choose 'Grab your code'.

I'm not claiming I created the pic myself. But at least I paid for it's use on my site.
November 06, 2010 04:22PM
DamonHD
Yes, I'd say that's outright theft and incitement to theft by picsdigger.

Rgds

Damon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 09:59PM by DamonHD.
November 06, 2010 05:13PM
Ian C. Purdie
I had another site taken down during the week.

Only 19,999 to go. So bloody time consuming and frustrating.
November 06, 2010 08:54PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.