Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Bleeding Edge of Battery Technology...
In spite of the Tube strike (which forced me to walk around London for an extra hour and a half this morning) I've just splashed out about £200 for a LiFePO4 12V 20Ah battery pack to add to my off-grid system which should double its capacity, but the new battery is a fraction of the size and weight of the old one, and in principle should last about 10x longer (3000 cycles vs 300). So even though it costs about twice what the old battery did, it still seems like a bargain.

But the software and hardware hacking to integrate it will be interesting for a number of reasons.

This is what I do with my money: sad or what? B^>

Rgds

Damon
October 04, 2010 05:12PM
Joshua
Administrator
Subject: Re: Bleeding Edge of Battery Technology...
I booked a last minute for three days in Wunderland Kalkar with the kids two weeks from now.

€240,- all inclusive. Well that's what I did with my money.
October 04, 2010 05:30PM
DamonHD
Yes, pretty similar amount. Want to swap? B^>

Rgds

Damon
October 04, 2010 05:37PM
Joshua
Administrator
Only if it fits my flashlight winking smiley.
October 04, 2010 07:51PM
DamonHD
I did also get a free very bright solar/LED keyring flashlight (ie with a little solar panel built in). Now that might fit! B^>

Rgds

Damon
October 04, 2010 08:23PM
Troi
Well I bought myself a flute this week - and we bought ourselves a ping-pong table. The flute is great - and I'm ploughing through the "teach yourself" book pretty well (not sure anyone living in close proximity will agree ... ) - although I have to say, I'm not doing too badly, but I already play a few instruments - so just a case of remembering the different fingerings etc.

Ping-Pong table was a great buy - found it at a car boot for €40, spent €10 on new net - only to find that it didn't fit the brackets or type of table, and meant some slight "bodge-it-and-scarper" adjustments, but is now up and running. Many hours of fun had at the weekend. Mo (youngest dog) has been officially sacked as ball-girl - but fortunately we bought loads of ping-pong balls in anticipation of a "dog-strike"...
October 05, 2010 08:43AM
DamonHD
Flute... Lovely idea!

Rgds

Damon
October 05, 2010 08:46AM
Ian C. Purdie
A frigging' flute? Oh well. Then again you're a girl. Were it me? My mates would call me a poofter.

BUT there is a particular flute with a very haunting sound that has fascinated me since they did the OZ movie "Picnic at Hanging Rock".
Quote:
Bleeding Edge of Battery Technology?
Any of you young kids want to research when the technology of modern NiMh batteries was "originally" developed if not patented?

Get the right answer and understand why I be a most cynical "basket".
October 05, 2010 11:25AM
Troi
I'm aiming for flute solo out of Firth of Fifth by end of week. Then I will be a happy chappy. I'm nearly there - just not quite. But then again, I'm nearly there, but not quite on the piano part - and that's sort of been like that for about 5 years or so. Mmmm.
October 05, 2010 12:44PM
DamonHD
I do use rechargeable NiMH for C / AA / AAA batteries for all possible gadgets/toys/etc. But their round-trip efficiency and self-discharge are both horrible compared to Li batteries. And these LiFePO4 ones don't catch fire! B^>

Any, all plumbed in now for the first round of testing:

[www.earth.org.uk]

Rgds

Damon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 12:55PM by DamonHD.
October 05, 2010 12:54PM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
Any, all plumbed in now for the first round of testing:
[www.earth.org.uk]
Want a decent free schematic program or alternatively had me clean it up for you?
October 05, 2010 10:21PM
DamonHD
I have an X-based package that I've been using, but (a) that diagram's not quite right anyway and (b) I may re-arrange things if magic smoke starts escaping and (c) I won't have much time until a new 100Wp solar panel arrives to be slotted in on Monday, at which point I hope to do some general housekeeping!

Rgds

Damon

PS. Correction: I did have the package on the previous laptop that died... Would have to reinstall it. So, if you can recommend a good, free, Mac package, please do!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 11:00PM by DamonHD.
October 05, 2010 10:59PM
GegaBit
ok, I'll see your battery, trip, table and flute and double y'all

I just bought my wife a second iPhone after her's is officially lost, not much, around £480, thats almost £ 1k in one month just for iPhones

needless to say I'm loved double nowadays Ann
October 06, 2010 04:56PM
Troi
Wow - that's pretty impressive...I refuse to have a mobile at all - still in the dark ages. I never seemed to have it when I needed it, or I'd switched it off or the battery was flat - and I always forgot to read messages - so finally cancelled it a year or so ago.
October 06, 2010 06:59PM
Pengi
I'm told my mobile is a classic!

I put £20 on pay as you go about once a year - I don't feel a need for much more.
October 06, 2010 08:00PM
Joshua
Administrator
Well, I didn't use my mobile for over 6 months and therefore my prepaid credit and phone number is killed. So count me in for whatever it is without mobile phone.
October 06, 2010 08:43PM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
Mac package, please do!
Alas no.

But with a legible diagram I can quickly do a jpg file for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 09:20PM by Ian C. Purdie.
October 06, 2010 09:18PM
DamonHD
Thanks Ian, I'll get there myself eventually when I'm happy that I've got the actual arrangement (never mind the schematic) right!

Must dig out Xcircuit or whatever it was... B^>

Rgds

Damon
October 07, 2010 12:40AM
DamonHD
Installed a new solar panel today from the same people that I bought the Li battery from, and re-arranged the whole system to deliver about 1/3rd of the energy from the complete panel set to the new battery (and the wind turbine output FWIW), and the rest to the old/core system.

If this arrangement sticks then I'll draw up the schematic properly RSN...

(I'm at my new client's site for the next few days, which are due to be mainly cloudy, which will give the system a workout.)

Quite impressive power is delivered to the batteries when the sun is shining full-on at noon, enough to make some power rectifiers noticeably warm. (It would be enough to run all the lights in the house at once by a comfortable margin for example, I think.)

Rgds

Damon
October 11, 2010 06:42PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.