Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Mice!
I'm pretty sure that we've (just) now got mice in our kitchen wall (probably through a gap round the gas-boiler flue).

Anyone else dealt with such a situation? How?

Rgds

Damon
October 02, 2010 11:58PM
Ian C. Purdie
Subject: Re: Mice!
A cat?

Mouse trap? I have a humane one.

I most certainly don't recommend "bait". Deceased mice within walls are decidedly unpleasant.

Yes they will congregate in warm locations.
October 03, 2010 12:53AM
mikeinfrance
Preferred member
Depends if you want to catch them alive and release them ..or catch them dead ?( bear in mind the breeding rate of mice ..they may already have a "live" nest ) ..So you need to deal with them fast .

Also mice piss everywhere as they move about ..and mouse piss carries nasties especially for small kids ..

If you see any signs of them having been moving around the kitchen ..you'll need to be using a lot more disinfectant on work surfaces where food gets prepared ..on floors etc ..anywhere that your kids may get to or anything that they may come into contact with ..

If you are "baiting" then small bits of bacon about 5 to 8 mm on each side ) ( what we call lardons here ..can't remember what the English name for them is ;-) works better than any cheese ..Whether in old style spring traps ( attach one to the spike so they have to eat it in place or tug at it ) or the various newer traps ..

Put the traps inside a box about 10 or 15 cm from the hole ..with only a 3 cm hole near the base for entry ( stops your kids getting fingers inside ;-)..Used to have a huge atelier in the middle of a vignoble ..loads of mice and rats ..even with cats around ..the above keeps them out of the living quarters ..or at least means they don't go further than the box .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2010 02:22AM by mikeinfrance.
October 03, 2010 02:21AM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
Also mice piss everywhere as they move about ..
Back in 1968 I had a HUGE bird aviary, 10M X 10M X 3M filled with exotic and very expensive finches.

Slowly, they began inexplicably to die off.

They weren't eating at all. The automatic feeders I had provided were seriously contaminated as Mike said.

Food everywhere, contaminated with "mouse piss". I enlisted the help of the "Fountain of Wisdom", my Dad.

Entering into the shelter area of my huge aviary we moved around pieces of timber I was storing there.

1,000's of mice were disturbed. Even Dad was amazed.

After several hours, even I gave up firing "rat shot" from my .22 rifle. A hopeless task.

The worst mouse plague I've ever experienced.

Expensive birds actually died of starvation purely because their food was contaminated as Mike said.

Nothing obvious to the naked eye.

So sadly very true.
October 03, 2010 07:40AM
DamonHD
I have a plan A which is to fill the space with expanding foam through 2 or 3 small holes in the hope that that deters the critters in the very short term.

Rgds

Damon
October 03, 2010 08:15AM
James
Actually, that is probably the answer. The expanding foam is brilliant at sealing holes. There is a technique to using the stuff as it expands more than you think it will, but sealing the holes outside of the house, and inside where you can find them should solve it long term. In the short term, try mousetraps. We have a cat, and rather than kill mice, it insists on bringing them inside to play with.
October 03, 2010 09:10AM
DamonHD
I have a whole can of the stuff just waiting to be used. B^>

Rgds

Damon
October 03, 2010 09:56AM
GegaBit
To catch one what worked for me best was glue on a tile, but meeting the mouse face to face was the difficult part.
October 03, 2010 11:36AM
DamonHD
OK GB, I'll pass on that method just for now.

Meanwhile I've emptied an expensive can of fireproof expanding foam that I had to hand (the shocking pink stuff) into the void in the wall and above the plasterboard (at a slight risk of pushing it off or not even annoying the mice).

We'll see if that has any effect at all tonight.

Rgds

Damon
October 03, 2010 12:43PM
Ian C. Purdie
Quote:
I have a plan A which is to fill the space with expanding foam through 2 or 3 small holes in the hope that that deters the critters in the very short term

I'll put that down in the Oh Duh department.

In a word?

No.

Never, ever, ever treat the symptoms. Attack the basic problem.

You appear to have a very congenial environment for these unfortunate creatures.

Expel them, remove as far as possible, warmth, food, water or whatever.
October 03, 2010 01:38PM
DamonHD
In this case none of the causes have changed in the 6 years we've been here except fairly heavy rain over the last few days which may have provoked an inquisitive creature inside.

I see no evidence yet of them getting at our food, that place is not especially warm as the boiler/heating isn't on, and all it really has going for it is "dry" so far as I can tell.

So, making it less pleasant may deter the creature, I hope.

But if not, I'll get a grown-up in.

Rgds

Damon
October 03, 2010 03:03PM
Harold
I'm a fan of "snap traps" --the good old-fashioned mouse traps. Kills them quick, unlike the glue traps. Bait them with bacon or peanut butter (really).

But you have to get good ones. I got some recently. We have mice. They are useless--have a stupid piece of slippery plastic as part of the mechanism and I can't get them set!

Closing holes also helps. Stuff with steel wool if the foam doesn't help. They can't chew through it with their teeth and it scratches them so they stay away from it.
October 06, 2010 04:59AM
Troi
Totally agree. However our bait of choice is cream crackers. Watch this clip - have to say I very nearly turned it off before the end - but really made me laugh.

October 06, 2010 08:40AM
DamonHD
I'm sure I heard one scurrying in the wall again: yes I'll get the hole closed off with cement and/or steel wool (good thinking, thanks).

Rgds

Damon
October 06, 2010 08:40AM
Troi
You stalking me again Damon ... post at same time again - spooky
October 06, 2010 08:41AM
DamonHD
I deny stalking you or mice!

Rgds

Damon
October 06, 2010 09:06AM
Ian C. Purdie
Watching this entire thread, as an Australian...

My two bob bet is down on the mouse.

No contest with you turkeys.

Thanks for the entertainment.
October 06, 2010 09:42AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.