Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: webpagetest.org
Hi,

I've spent a useful couple of days with [www.webpagetest.org] on my main site.

It shares some of Google's page performance code from the Page Speed plug-in that I use in FireFox, but also told me something that I hadn't though about before and enabled me to knock 300ms-ish off the first-load time of my main site's front page.

Since I created the site the front page has a been a 'welcome page', so if you go to my site "example.com" (or "example.com/") you have been immediately redirected to "example.com/index.jsp" (or "example.com/index.html" many years ago).

That redirect of course takes time, and will typically be on the first visit.

The webpagetest.org waterfall diagram poked me in the eye with this and I've now fixed the site not to require the initial redirect and the canonical front page is now at / not /index.jsp.

My front page loading time now compares well with Google, sometimes beating it.

Rgds

Damon
July 31, 2011 03:52PM
Ian C. Purdie
Subject: Re: webpagetest.org
Damon I did that jazz and got BS in return in IE8.

Allowing half an hour now and it's still "Testing". Meanwhile:

Quote:
"Did you know...
CSS expressions are bad, but if you really must use one, you can make it self-rewriting:

.the-thing {
background-color: expression(this.runtimeStyle.backgoundColor = 'none', [your code here]);
}
August 01, 2011 08:30AM
DamonHD
Yes, didn't want to even think about that CSS expression nonsense! That way lies madness, I'm sure...

Rgds

Damon
August 01, 2011 08:41AM
DamonHD
I'm really a fan of webpagetest.org; with a few days' effort for example I have the front page of my main site basically loading faster than Google locally, and have been able to introduce 'cloud files' to further reduce latency and improve performance for users with fast connections.

Rgds

Damon
August 17, 2011 07:59AM
Ian C. Purdie
I'll give it another try.

19:36 LT "Testing"

Ooh! It's working.
Quote:
Web Page Performance Test for
www.electronics-tutorials.com/
Thursday, 18 August 2011 7:36:17 PM

Page Speed 1.9 Score: 81/100
That's the home page only. I'll try one of my popular pages.
Quote:
Web Page Performance Test for
www.electronics-tutorials.com/antennas/active-receiving-antennas.htm
Thursday, 18 August 2011 7:44:06 PM

Page Speed 1.9 Score: 84/100
Much of a muchness. I don't know what it all exactly means though.
August 18, 2011 11:47AM
DamonHD
Hi

You should be aiming to get that Page Speed score up into the 90s (and you can run the FireFox PageSpeed plug-in in your browser to work on that faster).

You should ensure that your page always completely loads in under 7s even on first view from somewhere remote to your server, but should really aim for more like 1s (certainly for the page to start to render) if visitors are not going to get annoyed.

You should be aiming to get all 'A's on that top result line.

All of those will avoid getting in the way of visitors' experience of the site content.

Rgds

Damon

PS. P-W does fairly badly, with a couple of Fs for example, and a sub-90 Page Speed score.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 09:30PM by DamonHD.
August 18, 2011 09:27PM
Harold
Interesting! I got an F only on "cache static content"--what mean?

And I see that the javascripts on the page are a big part of it not loading as fast as it might.

First load was 1.8 seconds, repeat was .9
August 24, 2011 03:45AM
DamonHD
The "cache static content" thing (click on the 'F' itself for more details) means that, for example, you're not putting long expiry times on your site's graphics/furniture which may delay future page loads. IMHO should be be aiming for somewhere over a month, maybe up to a year.

You should also try the PageSpeed FireFox or Chrome add-in which can optimise your site images for you, so you can replace any bloated ones with no visible difference to the user except a faster load.

Also, consider compacting your JavaScript and allowing compression if you don't already, and put really small bits inline on the page(s) that use them, eg via server-side includes.

Rgds

Damon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 07:51AM by DamonHD.
August 24, 2011 07:51AM
Harold
The javascript IS on the page--it's AdSense and some social media sharing buttons...

Where do you put the expiry times? Is that some kind of site setting, metadata in the header, or...?
August 25, 2011 04:34AM
DamonHD
Hi,

By "on the page" I meant actually embedded in the HTML of the HEAD section, not referring to an external file, but if it's all stuff you don't control then you may be stuck. Read the PageSpeed stuff about how to minimise holding up page randering anyway, eg switch an Google Analytics to load asynchronously, and possibly in the footer.

Expiry times can be set in a number of ways. If you have access to .htaccess files that may be one route. If you want to PM me we can maybe take a more detailed look at your site?

Rgds

Damon
August 25, 2011 07:56AM
Harold
Damon, thanks for the offer. I find this kind of stuff fascinating, but I think I should resist the temptation to suck up your time and mine on this kind of tweaking.

There are other things I should put time into. I've discovered from webmaster central, for example, that there's a search phrase my site is on the first page of the results for, even though the exact phrase is not on my home page. I'm curious to see if I work it in somewhere if I can't move higher up the first page for it, and get more clickthroughs...
August 26, 2011 04:30AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.