Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Social Media Marketing - Facebook
Having tons of traffic wasted on pages where I removed AdSense I decided to dip toe in the social media inter web new millennium new age thingy by creating a facebook page for my site and promoting it on those pages.

Basically it's a page about my site where my visitors can become fans of my site, post on the wall, join discussions, express opinion, vote on issues, read notes that I create (sort of like a blog), share any of the above with some or all of their own non fan friends ..

2 immediate advantages jump at you when you do this:

1. Diversifying your traffic sources by tapping onto the new social media
2. Converting casual visitors into a loyal community with all the benefits that this brings

Then ..

One third advantage that was not foreseen was that my site magically started appearing in facebook web search results (powered by Bing) hence more traffic

Forth long term advantage is the avalanche effect when the friends of your fans start joining and the friends of friends start discovering what your site does and tell others ..

First disadvantage seen so far is that adds a new baby on my lap that needs monitoring and nourishing ..

Second is it's being almost out of my control, sending my visitors somewhere else instead of your own forum, but I can live with this one.

Another possible disadvantage is diluting traffic quality with social media which could possibly worsen an already collapsing AdSense situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 03:24PM by GegaBit.
February 20, 2010 02:49PM
DamonHD
Subject: Re: Social Media Marketing - Facebook
You let us know how that inter-tubes fartbook thing all works out when the police have gone, yeah? B^>

Rgds

Damon
February 20, 2010 03:39PM
Pengi
Pros and cons but it sounds as if the bottom line is positive.
February 20, 2010 03:52PM
Harold
Sounds cool. I need to do that too. I have a fan page on FB for my book, but not my site. Am actually using Twitter more, and getting traffic as a result. But the community aspect of FB is a potentially big plus--a way to reach people you aren't reaching in other ways.
February 21, 2010 05:33AM
Ian C. Purdie
I'm starting to hate FB. I'm getting requests from friends of friends etc.

Anyway, we'll see. No way I'm going down your path Harold.
February 21, 2010 06:52AM
DamonHD
Twitter is enough "Web 2.0" for me for now. For the very specific use I'm making of it, I think it does a good job.

Rgds

Damon
February 21, 2010 11:39AM
GegaBit
114 fans in few days so far, the more fans you have the faster your fan base will grow (avalanche)

I think at 4 or 5 digit fans one can stop promoting and let it roll on its own.
February 21, 2010 12:29PM
DamonHD
Next stop, groupies, flinging plasma TVs out of hotel rooms, getting into trouble with the law, you wait and see! B^>

Rgds

Damon
February 21, 2010 02:13PM
Troi
Oh dear. I've just weaned off facebook - please tell me I haven't got to wean back on it for website stuff. I have to confess to having not missed it at all - in fact I'm far happier without it.
February 21, 2010 03:07PM
Joshua
Administrator
The few times I accidentally saw a facebook page I didn't know how to get out fast enough. All this flashing images and hardly readable text. Maybe I need to have a look again.
February 21, 2010 03:50PM
GegaBit
in theory one needs to be where their audience is

I feel your pain Troi, can't stand the non stop news whenever one of my friends sneezes, has a thought or posts a photo, too much distraction for me, but having to work from home it's one way to keep an eye on what's happening offline.
February 21, 2010 05:02PM
DamonHD
Soon you'll be telling us that the horseless carriage has a future, and not all women should be chained to the kitchen stove (albeit with a long enough chain to try to fetch wood in the dark)!

Rgds

Damon
February 21, 2010 07:22PM
Ian C. Purdie
Damon you trying to take my crown at peeing off wimmin? Troi in particular?
February 21, 2010 08:27PM
DamonHD
I try never to be standing on wimmin when peeing: too dangerous.

Rgds

Damon
February 21, 2010 09:22PM
Troi
I've got broad shoulders ... hence collecting the wood!
February 21, 2010 09:43PM
Joshua
Administrator
Are we peeing off wimmin or peeing on wimmin or are the wimmin peeing? Getting a bit confused here. But if this is what facebook is about I'll pass (err. pee, or whatever) winking smiley.
February 21, 2010 10:20PM
DamonHD
J, I think you've probably covered most of Facebook and feminism somehow, nearly brief enough for a tweet!

%-P

Rgds

Damon
February 22, 2010 09:26PM
Troi
Damon - you put it so nicesly .... winking smiley
February 22, 2010 10:37PM
Troi
No that wasn't a spelling error ....
February 22, 2010 10:37PM
GegaBit
You know what, I think facebook should be paying me..

A good portion of my site's fans joined facebook through my site, that's a clear conversion.

Even if not paid in cash cash it can be redeemed as advertising on facebook, sort of a barter deal.

Funny there is no way to contact facebook staff directly on their site!
February 23, 2010 08:44AM
Joshua
Administrator
Isn't it the same with all those people getting Google accounts when they want to join my site with friend connect.
February 23, 2010 11:42AM
GegaBit
Similar to Google friend connect, and Google marketing more than facebook needs to work it into their referral system if they are targeting a decent market share to compete.

btw have 1,400 GFC members now with only one link on one page.
February 23, 2010 12:57PM
GegaBit
A while back I talked about jumping onto the facebook train and I created a "Page" there for my site.

On FB you can create either a page or a group for web sites, I opted for page as it appeared less time demanding to maintain, also much simpler for people to join it by clicking "become a fan" or as they call it now "like" button than in joining a group..

Long story short with minimal promotion my site has around 1,500 fans, not bad considering the no effort bit.

It is not taking too much of my time, just few minutes daily to weed out spam posts and check the total fans.

FaceBook now is starting to appear as one of my traffic sources with few hundred daily visitors which is not bad but nothing much to write home about in terms of success.

I'm yet to observe any "avalanche effect" as mentioned in my first post, but perhaps that happens when one reaches tens of thousands of fans, donno.
July 13, 2010 11:22PM
Ian C. Purdie
I dunno, I don't promote mine nor do I really understand it [FB] very well. Nearly every AR operator I know slowly adds me.

Maybe one day Chuck will patiently explain to me in terms of one syllable.
July 14, 2010 12:56AM
Ian C. Purdie
Well I decided to add a Facebook "Recommends" to my pages. Whether it's worth it is another matter.

I started out here but modified the code to suit SSI:

[developers.facebook.com]

I got it working once I remembered how to "nest" SSI directives with .shtml files which left me with this code [which works as far as I know].

Sorry the {CODE} directive here leaves a lot to be desired, I don't know how to improve it.

<p><iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://www.electronics-tutorials.com<!--#echo var="DOCUMENT_URI" -->&amp;layout=button_count&amp;show_faces=false&amp;width=300&amp;action=recommend&amp;colorscheme=light&amp;height=40" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:160px; height:33px;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></p>

Facebook's code will only produce your domain name if you use IFrame instead of the Javascript version.

As I said I used SSI to deliver page URI instead of domain name only.

FWIW
September 13, 2010 02:12AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.