Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Optimizing keyword and file structure
OK. We appear for the moment to be doing well for our number one keyword French Rugby. I now want to pursue the next one - which we are doing not so good for - Top 14. Now this is a bit of a weird one - as Top 14 can really mean anything - but is the name for the French Rugby Union. Most of our titles contain Top 14 - also in most metatags etc. I am at a loss to know how to improve on this one. What I am trying, is to place new articles within a folder entitles Top 14. Is this a dingbat idea? Anyone got any other suggestions as to what to try? The site and pages couldn't really be more relevant. The keywords are all there - without over saturation - or am I just being inpatient?
October 04, 2008 09:17AM
Pengi
Subject: Re: Optimizing keyword and file structure
Maybe you are too impatient.

Would it help perhaps to include a page on your site titled "Top 14" explaining what Top 14 means in this context?

In the metatags, do you have Top 14 in quotes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2008 12:31PM by Pengi.
October 04, 2008 12:31PM
Troi
I have Top 14 mentioned all over the place - as intrinsically this is the name of the Rugby Union league out here - both with and without quotes. Most titles begin something like "Top 14: Castres slaughter Toulouse........."

Or Top 14 Results, Top 14 Table....

So no idea - but have today set u a separate Top 14 folder and will see if this makes any difference over the next few weeks.
October 04, 2008 01:10PM
Harold
Maybe you are mentioning it on too many pages? So that those pages are competing with each other.

I'm not an SEO expert, so maybe someone can chime in on this, but wouldn't it make sense to have ONE page that was the Top 14 "home page"--the one that you want people to come to--with other related content linked to from it, but not featuring Top 14 as a prominent keyword.

And by the way, are there more searches for "Top 14" or for "French rugby"?
October 04, 2008 05:11PM
Troi
I hear what you are saying Harold - re the Top 14 bit - will look into it.

Re which is searched more - I think it depends on where you are geographically. In France, I would imaging that is their normal search - whereas perhaps UK and Aus it is more likely to be French Rugby.

We are doing OK for traffic from UK and Aus - but don't get much from France, but as the site is in English this doesn't really surprise me much. But even so - I think we are missing out on traffic by not doing well for this keyword.

On looking at other sites that are appearing for Top 14 - I see that many of them seem to have it within a subfolder - hence my current experiment. I'll report back if I get any results on this.

Thanks
October 04, 2008 05:23PM
Joshua
Administrator
October 04, 2008 05:28PM
Troi
thanks for that Josh - didn't know about that highly useful tool...

If I'm reading it correctly - I think my assumption is pretty correct - English speaking tend to go for French Rugby - but the french - and obviously this is going to be the highest audience - go for Top 14.
October 04, 2008 06:17PM
Joshua
Administrator
Yes, but you also see the site language is in french.

Also remember it's just showing trends and not always doing so accurately (I think).

When searching keywords I always punch in some keywords I know I'm #1 in Google and therefore know how much traffic it's giving me. By doing that you get to know a little about the keywords potential.

Also ranking on 'top 14' in the international versions of Google will be hard I think, as it's not related to rugby outside of France. If I search for 'top 14' here I get a split results screen with only 2 results devoted to French rugby. The others are all top 'whatever'.
October 04, 2008 06:59PM
Troi
Yep - with you on the difficulty of optimizing for Top 14 - here in France I do see a lot of English rugby sites pinging up. So it would be good to be showing somewhere for it - I'll see what happens over the next week.
October 05, 2008 09:45AM
Troi
Ok - I created a folder entitled Top 14 and have started putting pages within the folder. After only a couple of days I have seen a significant rise in search engine ranking for Top 14 related keywords. Whether this has anything at all to do with this - I don't know. Just thought I'd report back on my findings.
October 09, 2008 08:17AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.