Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Domain names & SEO
Obviously having one of those days. Spent a while the other day trolling through domain names for the journalist chap. Used domainsbot for the purposes of domain suggestions - with intention of registering with Godaddy. Found various domain names that worked well - including a particularly good one for the sport site.

It stated it was available. Had to wait for the chap to sort out his credit card to do the registering etc. He sent this through and today I was going off to register it - and GoDaddy inform me that it was registered two weeks ago. Incidentally - it is now parked and for sale.

Now my question is - say for arguments sake the domain name we originally wanted was sportresults.com - which is not available and parked, but sport-result.com is available - as is sportresults.net - do you think any of these would be a wise choice - or should we be steering clear. The two word bit to the domain name is very good for our purposes, so am a bit gutted we missed it by such a short margin.
July 27, 2008 02:11PM
GegaBit
Subject: Re: Domain names & SEO
Search engines don't care much what ext. you use as long as it has good content and strong inbound links..

.Com is stronger and more memorable for your visitors and might even get you better links, hence better performance

Non hyphenated two word domain is better than hyphenated

hyphenated dot com is better than hyphenated dot net

Go for the most ideal you can get.
July 27, 2008 02:26PM
OptiRex
Preferred member
Quote:
Search engines don't care much what ext. you use as long as it has good content and strong inbound links..

Yahoo! and Live I would agree, Google is different.

I have the proof that Google does not like to rank more highly sites that, basically, are not .com/org/net/co.uk/eu, sometimes a bit of biz/info.

I have taken entire sites from .cn/in, which ranked well for "pages from that specific country" and placed them on other tlds, including .us, and all of a sudden they were ranking in Google.com.

Geo-targetting by G is really screwed-up right now! My Seattle server, according to them, is in South Africa.

I understand what they are trying to do however do not deceive yourself into believing that all tlds are equal. They are not.
August 08, 2008 02:58AM
GegaBit
>Google is different

Could it be because Google weight high(er) the inbound links given by humans who in turn prefer to link to .com more than anything else?
August 08, 2008 09:29AM
Quadrille
Never buy a domain name unless you can get the .com - even if you do not intend to use it.

I don't think SEs care, but human beings do - and so do browsers.

So without the .com (even if it just forwards to another domain), you may lose 'write in' traffic and more to whoever does have the .com

Every time they introduce new ones ... .biz, .info, .whatever, .eu ... the demise of the power of the .com is predicted.

It ain't happened yet!
August 08, 2008 07:32PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.