Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Accidental keywords
I check the list of the top keywords for referrals to my site from time to time, and usually it's pretty much the same--variations on the three phrases that matter for my site.

Today I saw "amazon books" in the top 10!

Further investigation revealed that Google was making those referrals--a page on my site shows up on the 2nd page of the SERPs for that phrase when it's run in quotes, as a phrase--which makes me wonder about a couple of things: why do people need to search for Amazon in that way? and if I'm getting those referrals from the 2nd page, what must sites on the 1st page be getting? Amazon does come up number one, by the way, so it's astonishing that people even go to the second page of the results.

Here's the page on my site that's getting the referrals:

[www.underdown.org]

And this may explain why I'm doing unexpectedly well with Amazon so far this month--clearly some people come to that page and use my affiliate link to get to Amazon.

Anyone else stumble across keywords you weren't planning for that bring traffic?

And any suggestions for ways to tweak that page to get onto the first page of results? I can think of a couple of things, but want to hear from the experts....
March 05, 2008 04:26PM
Pengi
Subject: Re: Accidental keywords
I'm not an expert, but I believe what really works in getting ant page to rank well is for lots of independent users to repeatedly visit it and use it!

(I know that doesn't help - but I believe it may explain why the page has the ranking it does)
March 05, 2008 05:00PM
Harold
Hmm. It's not a heavily visited page on my site, though--#19 in page views. It's mostly visited by regulars who go there when they remember that they can help out the site by using that page.

The interesting thing is that something happened just recently to put that page up there. I never noticed these keywords before.

I guess I'm wondering if I put "Amazon books" in the page title if it would have an effect.

And Pengi, have you ever encountered something like this?
March 05, 2008 05:13PM
Pengi
No, I've not encountered anything like this. But then none or my sites could be considered as authority sites such as your.

When they were active, most of my traffic was paid for! Featuring within the SERPS didn't even figure in my wildest dreams.

However, experience of selecting Keywords and numerous Keyword Combinations for AdWords campaigns does provide a useful insight as to how AdSense for content works and sometimes directs traffic or attracts contextual ads to specific pages.
March 05, 2008 05:25PM
Harold
I remember your experiences with the vagaries of AdWords....

What's interesting is that there is an "aStore" in 5th place on the first page for this search--aStores are pseudo-stores created by Amazon Associates and hosted by Amazon (usually) or embedded in a web page (sometimes).

That is not a site that should rank like that. I'm going to take a look at it.
March 05, 2008 06:02PM
Pengi
It seems strange to how that despite much refining and improving of the algorithms, Google's rankings still seem to include many anomalies such as that you identify.

I can understand how some low life sites may find a trick that enables them to rank higher than they deserve - until G changes to program to close the loop hole.

I can understand how some reputable authority sites get hurt by some of the algorithm changes and fall out of the rankings undeservably.

But I find it hard to understand how the SERPS seems to pick up some sites/pages and give them a higher ranking then would be expected - without someone working at achiving this!
March 05, 2008 06:22PM
Troi
You must be ticking all their boxes for this keyword. I assume you've scanned this page with a fine tooth comb to see if there is any logic in it. Incidentally - as I have noticed a slight pattern with this - do you have any page templates/style sheets saved using the words amazon etc?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2008 07:01PM by Troi.
March 05, 2008 07:00PM
Harold
Exactly--that's basically why I started this thread, but I hadn't found the words to express it so well!
March 05, 2008 07:00PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.