Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Back Links
I thought this article may be of interest to some in here. This isn't a practice that I partake in at all. However, I'm wonder whether Ann(-e) - has been caught in this net - and that this may explain your sudden drop in the SERPs. The article mentions several other penalties - -6, -30,-250.

[www.searchnewz.com:80]
February 27, 2008 08:18AM
Quadrille
:: Quote ::
Subject: Re: Back Links
Depending where you read, there's 'minus every tom, dick, and harry' penalties, and I've never, ever, seen anything from Google to substantiate any of them.

Having said that, Google most certainly does reduce the ranking of a site that indulges in deprecated behaviour, though it's most unlikely to be a fixed number, as the serps are relative anyway.

With Google, the first place to look if you feel your ranking is lower than the site deserves*, is your linking practice.

And practices that were acceptable a year ago may not be now - so it's worth checking links both regularly and carefully.

1. Non-related reciprocal links are high risk.

2. Reciprocal links to cr*p directories (including ANY directory that asks for a reciprocal link) are high risk.

3. Links to cr*p sites, dead sites, unrelated sites, and paidlinks to any sites are all high risk behaviours.

While it's undoubtedly true that Google cannot identify all of the above, they can detect much more than people generally believe - and they do act on reports from your competitors.

*Not many people know this, but not all sites can be #1 Nerd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2008 10:31AM by Quadrille.
February 27, 2008 10:30AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.