Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Alexa & Google Page Rank
Just thought I'd post these results. Up until yesterday - my newish site has been doing OKish in Alexa - rank about 50K - but I've had 0 PR from Google.

Yesterday I added a robots.txt - and also Google analytics to see what happens.

This morning I see an instant Google PR of 4. Alexa is around 46K. Could be coincidence - as I did add some changes to some pages last week - or is this due to the robots.txt and/or adding analytics.

In the past I have always had both of these - but I have my own theories on analytics - so up until now was avoiding their use. As the site was getting naturally listed in the SE's I hadn't bothered with the robots either.

Any thoughts - or just coincidence?
November 27, 2007 08:44AM
Pengi
Subject: Re: Alexa & Google Page Rank
Certainly sounds like good news and maybe too much of a coincidence.

However, I find it hard to believe that robots.txt and Google analytics are either necessary or sufficient to support a Google page ranking.

Well done anyway.
November 27, 2007 08:50AM
GegaBit
Individually Google PR and Alexa ranking mean nothing, I don't think associating them together will lead to anything that makes sense.

Buy hey congrats all the same!
November 27, 2007 11:03AM
Troi
I know your feelings on this - but I'm still pretty chuffed - yesterday - rank of 23K - halved over night!!!! As this site is more for computer-type bods - I can understand why the rank is changing - as my traffic has significantly increased over the last week. I've had the feeling that I've been sandboxed for a while - and now am getting the traffic I would have hoped for.
December 01, 2007 08:32AM
GegaBit
Really happy for you Troi, but don't get hooked:

When my site was serving 30k daily uniques, it ranked 2,500, now my site serves 40k daily uniques it is ranking little over 4k in Alexa, I used to think it got more accurate the higher you are, but it is not.

Good luck all the same.
December 01, 2007 10:35AM
Pengi
I've no doubt that the Alexa data is not accurate.

However, I would guess that it is not totally random either. My belief is that significant improvement in Alexa ratings (as with Google PR) would be indicative (although not absolute proof) of movement in the right direction.
December 01, 2007 11:27AM
Quadrille
Alexa is worthless, but it is not random.

Alexa measures the popularity of sites among people who use the Alexa toolbar.

Install one, and your site will zoom up the ratings, just by your regular site checking.

But as you will have realised, that tells you nothing - nothing at all - about how your site is doing in the 'real' world.

A 'significant movement' in Alexa is not significant, sorry smiling smiley

Page rank also tells you very little, partly because it is always AT LEAST three months out of date, plus it is just one of over 200 factors that count.

A far more useful way to monitor your sites progress is to set up a spreadsheet (or piece of paper) with a few key words/phrases down the left hand side, and dates across the top.

Make those searches on a monthly basis and record your site's position in the serps: that will give you a useful, accurate and reliable measure of your site's progress.

Much, much, much more useful than Alexa or PR combined, multiplied by 42 and inverted in a brown paper bag.
December 01, 2007 04:32PM
DamonHD
Q: it has to be a *recyclable* brown paper bag these days, with some joss sticks and whale song! B^>

Rgds

Damon
December 01, 2007 06:20PM
Troi
Noooooo. Stop...... Your shattering my delusions !!!!

I know exactly what you guys are saying - but there is little to keep my chin up at the moment - so forgot what you know about Alexa - and just pretend for one minute that its great - so I can feel a bit better about things.....
December 01, 2007 06:38PM
GegaBit
Sure!
Hey Troi, congratulations on being the top 23,000 viewed web sites in the world, you know this is measured against over 50 Million web sites? Yep, you are one of the few successful one. Another plus side is that many direct advertisers seem to put big weight to Alexa, so you are in for a lot of money too, you'll be rolling in green soon.

was that any good?
December 01, 2007 07:05PM
Troi
That was just dandy! Thanks - already feeling better.

As they say little things please little minds - not much to keep me perky at the moment - so I latch onto the slightest of things!
December 01, 2007 07:12PM
DamonHD
Have you tried chocolate and alcohol, Troi? B^>

Rgds

Damon
December 01, 2007 09:05PM
Pengi
I believe chocholate and alcohol are staples in the precise area of France that Troi resides in!
December 03, 2007 08:40AM
Troi
Well I won't bother confirming the latter of those two - but chocolate I can live without. Still got most of an easter egg in the cupboard. Don't dislike it - just would rather have cheese than chocolate. Alchol goes without saying.......

Recently had my first try of burrat (no idea how to spell it - but thats what the word sounds like) which is the juice of the first wine pressing. Not readily available to buy - need to know someone on the sly. Absolutely fantastic stuff - if you ever get the chance to try it - go for it. Only available for about 6 weeks - and you have to treat it with caution - as the wine is still fermenting, the bottles are liable to explode..... I've also heard said that is has the effect of a laxative - but didn't notice any effect in that direction - thankfully!!!!
December 03, 2007 09:25AM
DamonHD
Mmm, sounds fab Troi.

Got to be some perks for living where the stuff is made!

Rgds

Damon
December 03, 2007 10:23AM
ElvisFan
Preferred member
My PR dropped from 5 to 3 overnight
and I lost the robot.txt code...

I would like to fix this problem but can't remember what code I put into my robot so that google and every other search engine spiders every page on my site.. thanks
July 15, 2008 09:30PM
DamonHD
If you want *everything* spidered then don't have a robots.txt at all IMHO. KISS.

Other people may have other solutions, but they're not as good. B^>

Rgds

Damon
July 15, 2008 10:25PM
GegaBit
Second Damon,
Do away with robots.txt if what you want is for all to crawl and don't want to bother learning how it works.
July 16, 2008 10:04AM
Quadrille
I'll third that.

No need if every page is open to being spidered.

The fall in PR is another matter; has there been a fall in visitors, ranking, or conversions?
July 18, 2008 11:35PM
OptiRex
Preferred member
Quote:
But as you will have realised, that tells you nothing - nothing at all - about how your site is doing in the 'real' world.

I agree, Alexa is the most useless and worthless piece of garbage on the Net!

I could show you sites with thousands of visitors and posters every day yet rank in the 2.5+ million!

Some of my own quiet sites rank way above the real numbers sites.

Alexa only has a rough idea given the information to them by the misguided few who have inadvertently been conned into and installed their useless tool.

Oh..sorry to tell you that!
August 08, 2008 03:20AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.