Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Setting up an Adwords campaign
Guys, can anyone direct me to some basic advice for setting up a simple AdWords campaign? I keep getting coupons for free credit on AdWords, and I want to try one, but I have read so much about how complicated AdWords is.

I found setting up a Facebook campaign fairly simple, and really am hoping there is a way to do something similar with AW.

Most likely, I'll be promoting my book, and linking the ad to this page: [www.underdown.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 03:50AM by Harold.
October 21, 2010 03:48AM
Ian C. Purdie
Subject: Re: Setting up an Adwords campaign
Harold, your situation is quite different to mine because you have a specific product to promote.

I also receive these vouchers from time to time but I'm averse to using them on the principle of "arbitrage".

Were I to have a specific product to market then I would go for it. From what I've read [only read] no matter how you creatively phrase your ad, you definitely need a good landing page with a call to action which the clicker will follow through on.

Don't waste money on plain "look see" clicks.

Now it is up to yourself as to how you market your product. I can't help you there.
October 21, 2010 05:32AM
DamonHD
Good, tight ad-texts, and a variety of them (at least 3 different ads).

You already have a well-focused page, and your ad text should tie in semantically and textually with that page for 'relevance'.

Set a *small* daily budget to start with, and a relatively high bid; it will probably take a while to warm up the campaign and convince AW's algos that you are definitely not a fly-by-night MFA or something.

Target carefully by country at least if it's relevant.

Possibly have separate non-overlapping campaigns to make monitoring easier.

Rgds

Damon
October 21, 2010 07:52AM
Pengi
AdWords provides various tools and guideance to help you set up and monitor campaigns.

Things to think about:
1) Your Ad text - assuming you are looking to capture sales and not just visitors, then make your Ad text accurate and as specific and informative as you can: sell your product but don't oversell.

2) Geographical targeting - select where you expect your new customers to be - you can make this as wide as you like, but don't waste your budget advertising a book in English to a French speaking audience.

3) Key word targeting - select the words and phrases that you want the ad to appear in response to - don't limit yourself to a few obvious ones and use the tools Google provides to help you find words and phrases that fit with your site.

4) Do all the above for each specific landing page you want to advertise, but try to avoid aiming the same phrase or key word at multiple pages (i.e. check the "3)s" don't overlap.
October 21, 2010 08:41AM
Troi
I really haven't used adwords for some time - and suspect the interface has changed a lot since I last visited. However, when I was using it, I had really big success using image ads and site targetting them. So if you can find advertisers in your niche - target their sites with both text and image ads. Make sure you create the image ads in all relevant sizes. I found this the most cost effective form - and produced the best return.

From what I've read recently - if you have poorly performing keywords in a campaign - it is better to get rid of them - otherwise it couldnegatively impact your QS - and push up your costs.

Dynamic keyword insertion is worth doing if you are advertising on the search network. Worthwhile setting up a separate adgroup for this so that the keywords you use this for are relevant.
October 21, 2010 10:11AM
Harold
Wow, thanks, this is very helpful, but I'm feeling even more daunted. I really just want to try out the system with this $100 credit.

What's the SIMPLEST campaign to set up? Do I have to have three different ads, for example?

I think the geo-targeting is easy. It has to be US, given the primary focus of my book.

I guess I should look at the landing page too, and make sure it's actually SELLING enough.

Interesting. Going to research this some more.
October 22, 2010 04:20AM
Pengi
Its worth getting an understanding of Adwords if only to improve one's understanding of how Adsense works.
October 22, 2010 08:33AM
Pengi
Start with a single Ad targetted at a good selling page and select a good set of keywords.

The more key words the more likely your ad is to be shown - but it may result in it being shown to the wrong people.
October 22, 2010 08:35AM
Troi
How many ads you set up is entirely up to you - and really isn't very difficult to do. Personally I always run at least 2 adverts - and let the system determine which advert performs the best. The more targetted your advert is to your chosen keywords, the better it will perform.

You may also want to add some negative keywords if you are likely to be getting non-related traffic.
October 22, 2010 08:52AM
DamonHD
Yep, start with just 2 or 3 ads and let G choose the one that's performing best to show more often.

Good keywords, low initial daily budget, and I'd suggest bid a little high to get a look-in.

(Once you've been running for a while you can switch to a cost-per-conversion mode which makes G do most of the monitoring and pruning work for you.)

Rgds

Damon
October 22, 2010 09:31AM
Pengi
But if you just want to learn, start with 1 ad - then add further ads as and when you're ready.

You can keep it simple and build it up slowly. Comparing Ad performance may be important if you are spending a limited advertising budget, but I believe at this stage, you are just looking to use to $100 voucher to learn what Adwords may do for you.

I would recommend stating with a single, ad to a specific landing page with as broad a Geographical target as you think your product may appear to (remembering that there may be potential US buyers living abroad).

I think your effort will be best spent selecting a good set of keywords for which you would like your ad to show.

Once you start getting feedback and improved understanding from this then growing from there will be easy.
October 22, 2010 07:50PM
Pengi
PS
keep your initial bids low (i.e. how much you offer to pay per click) I would suggest you start off with about 10 cents then adjust this per key word as necessary to get a suitable ranking.

If you bid too high, you will:
a) spend your $100 very quickly without much to show for it and
b) make some AdSense publishers' day with an increased EPC.
October 22, 2010 07:54PM
Harold
Guys, thanks, this tells me what to focus on.

One last question: search only, content network only, or both?

(I'm inclined to think content network only would be best, since I rank well for relevant keywords on Google. No need to be there when I am already, right?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 08:27PM by Harold.
October 23, 2010 08:26PM
DamonHD
Both, but possibly on separate campaigns on separate budgets (but the same ads if you wish) so you can see how they perform relative to one another for you.

Rgds

Damon
October 23, 2010 11:29PM
Ian C. Purdie
I can hardly wait to see the results of this exercise.

How many AdWords $100 vouchers do I have?
October 24, 2010 08:27AM
Troi
How are you getting on Harold?
October 27, 2010 09:11AM
Ian C. Purdie
Yes, I have numerous vouchers, most of which have likely expired. For a pure technical content site I can't see any use.

Maybe I should write a technical book?

Nah...

One on what I used to do on my non-existent holidays as a kid.
October 27, 2010 09:42AM
Harold
Haven't started yet, Troi!
October 27, 2010 09:57AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.