Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Sponsored Links in Google Earth
Well, I suppose it was only a matter of time.

I love Google Earth and use it regularly. Today, for the first time, when I clicked one of the icons that popup information about or photographs of a particular location, there were "Sponsored Links" in the popup! Poorly targeted, yes, but they looked like a new AdWords location to me.

Anyone else see this or see any news about this?
January 24, 2010 05:55PM
Troi
Subject: Re: Sponsored Links in Google Earth
Don't use it too much - and certainly not read anything about it - will go and have a look.
January 24, 2010 06:17PM
Joshua
Administrator
It's still free to put up your business on the map. I don't blame them wanting to make (or catch up) some monies for this excellent application.
January 24, 2010 06:57PM
Harold
Oh, I don't blame them either. I just thought it was interesting. If I were an advertiser, I'd be looking at this carefully, though, given the targeting issues.

And of course, for those of us who are AdSense publishers, it's another places ads can go that isn't one of our sites!

Interestingly, they aren't putting the ads on all of the popups--when you click one of the Wikipedia icons, you just get Wikipedia info.
January 24, 2010 07:06PM
Pengi
It [poorly targetted Google Earth sponsored links] sounds like another case of the targetting being affected by the ability (or lack thereof) of the AdWords advertisers to select the appropriate tartgetting fortheir campaigns.
January 25, 2010 08:41AM
GegaBit
Google Earth is perfectly suited for and a goldmine for geographical down to the street targeting, also with maps a buy in into the future for when mobile advertising takes off.
January 31, 2010 07:20PM
Pengi
However, if advertisers use the targetting features badly, it can result in poorly targeted ads appearing in Google Earth - e.g. An Ad if specific to London is targetted at the whole of the UK, it could appear as a poorly targetted Ad when looking at, say, Manchester.
February 01, 2010 08:39AM
GegaBit
Yes, and that applies to all advertising.

But the power of pointing you to the nearest waffle or favorite brand shoes shop meters from where you stand is an advertising holy grail that nothing else can match.
February 01, 2010 12:15PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.